+ Reply to Thread

Siemens SX66 vs XV6600

I'm sure this is out here somewhere, but the search appears to be down now since I got an error message each time I tried to search for this.

Can someone tell me the differences in these devices? The best I can tell, Verizon's XV6600 is available with or without camera and no wi-fi for about $350.... Cingular's SX66 has no camera available, but has wi-fi for about $499.... Is the only difference the camera and wi-fi? Why would Cingular's be so much more if that is the case? A salesman at a Cingular store today told me that they also have (very soon) an HP Ipaq, but he didn't have any info on it - does anyone know what model that is, and how it's different from these?

I've played a little bit with an xv6600 and was quite impressed, I just wanted to be sure of the differences before I commit to it.

Thanks in advance...

Fully Converged
    the cingular model is GSM, which means it doesnt support EVDO and unless you are at a wifi hotspot, you will have to put up with the unbearably slow GPRS for data, which is not even 56k speeds typically. if you are in an evdo area, it is a no brainer...go for the XV6600
    XV6800, Aliph Jawbone

Thanks - but let me see if I got this right...

Cingular SX66 is slow (comparatively) all the time, regardless of where you are... (ignoring wi-fi hotspots)

Verizon XV6600 is slow unless you are in an EVDO area, then it's better.

So if I am not in an EVDO area, they would be the same? I don't believe I am - the last I looked, I wasn't... Birmingham, Alabama.

All of this is just referring to Internet apps, too....

Are there other hardware differences? Processor, Memory, Screen, etc?

I think what he's saying is that even plain old 1xrtt is typically better than standard GPRS.

As far as other difference, besides the WiFi and being GSM as opposed to CDMA, I believe they are the same phone.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

Hi Tech Trader
    Verizon has EVDO, which if you have EVDO coverage and dont travel outside of it, is fast enough that you wont miss wifi at all, except maybe for voip.

The SX66 only has gprs, which is FAR slower. But if you have wifi at home and at work and dont travel too much, again you probably wont miss evdo.

Overall, I'd say if you have EVDO coverage and wifi, I'd say go with the cheaper Verizon version, only because you can always use a wifi SD card in either device.

Of course that doesn't take into effect plan pricing with either provider. You'll have to compare those also, to see which is the better deal for YOU. But all else being equal, evdo and wifi are the only differences, and like I said, you can always use a wifi SD card.

Fully Converged
    with 1xrtt even in bfe where i live now in sc i still see around 200Kbs, when i lived in ca with evdo on average i saw 650Kbs...
    XV6900 Custom WM6.1, 8GB microSDHC
    History:WM6.1 XV6800w/GPS,XV6700 WM6.1,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX, Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135

Hey Nemanracing, whats up? I'm in York, and I see Sprint has Lancaster on it's map as 'future Power Vision', so hopefully Verizon will put EVDO out in Lancaster soon. Looks like I'm out of luck in York.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    This is covered in the very first post in the "FAQ" thread at the top of the forum.

No need to blame a malfunctioning search.

Ehud

Who carries the phone and what models are there?

-- Sprint PPC-6601 CDMA no WIFI no camera
    -- Sprint PPC-6600 CDMA no WIFI with camera
    -- Verizon XV6600woc CDMA no WIFI no camera
    -- Cingular SX66 GSM WIFI with Camera

----------

Is that what you are referring to ehud? If so, it doesn't answer what I asked about processor, memory, screen, etc - and for that matter, it is not correct. The SX66 at Cingular (according to the Cingular web site) does not have the camera. The XV6600 at Verizon (according to the Verizon website) is available with or without the camera. If that is not what you are referring to, I appologize - but that is all I have seen as a "comparison".