+ Reply to Thread
    Converged

Question about receiving e-mail remotely

Up to now I have gotten my e-mail when I sync to my PC at my desk. I will be doing more travel and need to receive my e-mail remotely. Verizon is suggesting I use the functionality in ActiveSync. Our company does have an exchange server accessible from the web. I can manually log in but it does not push it out to my XV66000woc. What the best application?

Thanks in advance.
    The Kyocera 7135 was great. The XV6600 was even better. So far the 8525 is pretty damn cool...
    But I wish for the features of an 8525 with a 3.5" screen, that would be awesome.

When you say accessible from the web, do you mean Outlook Web Access (OWA)? There is also Outlook Mobile Access (OMA) designed for WAP phones which works well on the 6600. Lastly there is Exchange Activesync with SMS push available. The last one is where you get your messages on your device just like having it in the cradle. All three are available on Exchange, your IT department just has to enable them. They also could enable Exchange IMAP. Lastly, you could setup a filter in your inbox to forward all emails to a Pop/Imap account that you could access such as Gmail. Some IT groups have turned off forwarding from Outlook so this may not work.

If they won't you could try Verizon's wirelesssync. Its free but you need a computer, on your work network, always running, for it to work.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Converged
    Our IT guy said that we do have OWA. Verizon is working with our IT group to set up the push system simular to how we are supporting the Blackberry.

My main concern is how slow ActiveSync features work. Like backing up. ActiveSynce takes about 45 minutes. Sprite takes 5 minutes and has more and better functionality.

I get +/- 100 e-mails a day. I'm worried that it will take 45 mintues to sync my e-mails/calendar. Syncing directly from my desktop computer can take 15 minutes.

Is there a 3rd party software solution that is better?
    The Kyocera 7135 was great. The XV6600 was even better. So far the 8525 is pretty damn cool...
    But I wish for the features of an 8525 with a 3.5" screen, that would be awesome.

There may be a couple of quick and dirty software solutions. I receive my e-mail remotely through mail2pda.com. Also, I have sometimes forwarded e-mail from my office's exchange server to my Yahoo! account.

Converged
    I can get to my e-mail from our Exchange server web access. But it is very slow, lacks any features, and I need to check manually. We have Exchange 2000. I heard Exchange 2003 has better features but I won't hold my breath waiting for our IT group to upgrade. Too much time/money.

I was hopeing there was some great e-mail app out there.

The backup is nothing like the activesync. If you only have Exchange 2000, I would recommend Verizon Wirelesssync and see if it works for you. Again, you need a computer, always on, attached to the internal network, with Outlook. Wirelesssync will monitor your Outlook mailbox and forward. There are some problems with replying and sending mail. 2 hour delays. Verizon says its due to needing port 3102 being open on the firewall. I could not confirm that this will fix it.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ge_Server.html
    Again you could ask to see if you can get IMAP setup on Exchange. (I am not positive that it works in 2000 but it doesn't hurt to ask.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

Exchange 2003

Also, as an FYI, Exchange 2003 has released push technology with their latest Service Pack, but it is only compatible with WM05.
    PPC6600
    HBH-660

Our company is on Exchange 2003 and I sync wirelessly using my OWA account (using the 6600's version of Outlook). I sometimes do after hours support so I have it setup to sync every hour on the hour when it's not in the cradle. I have full functionality with no slowness at all. This is how I did it:

Go to ActiveSync and click on the Server tab. Enter your owa site address as the server (owa.yourcompany.com). Click the options button and enter your logon credentials then click Ok. In my case, I had to check the "This server uses an SSL connection" box because we do Then just check the boxes of the items you want to sync (in my case, all - calender, contact, and inbox). Finally, Just setup the schedule you want it to use using the Mobile Schedule tab.

One thing to note - I have unlimited data on my phone so I sync wirelessly pretty frequently. But, if you don't have unlimited data, you might want to look into it since some attachments can get pretty big! Oh, and set it up so your attachments go to your SD card instead of main memory; trust me