+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PIE: Help

PIE: Help

I've got a web site (bulletin board) that I visit a lot. It's address is: http://arkansas.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=1033&fid=1191

Anyway, whenever I access it the main page, the scripting is never processed correctly. As an example, the list of who's online doesn't show, and this happens every time. However, EVERY time that I refresh the page, it processes it just fine and displays the list just fine. The same is true of drilling down to a post within the board. The message doesn't show much of the data surrounding it (who posted the message, etc.). However, whenever I refresh the page it displays the data correctly, every time. Is there something special about refreshing a page that is, or should be, different than accessing it the first time? Does anyone know of any tweaks to get PIE to process pages properly the first time, or any real tweaks at all (registry, etc.) to get PIE processing things a little bit better?

Here's something I found that may help clue someone in. If I access this web site while docked in the cradle (which I assume uses the broadband connection of my PC and not Sprint's Vision) everything process just fine, 100% of the the time. Does anyone understand what differences there are accessing web sites while docked, and why that might make a difference here?

It could be the connection speed, over 1xrtt it loads some of the page and then times out, then when you reload it doesn't reload images and stuff it already cached so it works, when docked the connection is fast enough that it doesn't time out the first time around, just a guess though.
    Tom

If Tom's theory is correct then I don't belive there is going to be a solution to your problem except trying a different browser like Thunder Bird. (I think Thunder bird is the name of it)
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    If Tom's theory is correct then I don't belive there is going to be a solution to your problem except trying a different browser like Thunder Bird. (I think Thunder bird is the name of it)
    i think you are referring to Firefox.

thunderbird would be the email client

Thunderhawk in the PocketPC realm is a web browser that uses a proxy to surf the internet. Basically, you run the Thunderhawk client on your PPC and when you put in a web URL, it sends the request to TH's server, which then actually goes out and gets the page. The server then optimizes it and compress it so that it is a fraction of the size it would be if you use PIE to download the page. The result is fast web browsing in something thats a lot easier to use on a PPC.

In the desktop world, of course, you're right, FireFox is a web browser and ThunderBird is an email client.

EDIT: Changed the first word of my post to thunderhawk instead of thunderbird... don't know why i would say it right the whole post except that first time
    Last edited by Bearxor; 11-07-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

I should say that the downside to Thunderhawk is that since TH has to have the servers in order for the broswer to work, you do have to pay a monthly or yearly subscription fee.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

Thunderbird is the mozilla email client.
    Firefox used to be called Firebird.

What he was referring to (I believe) is Bitstream's Thunderhawk browser.
    http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

yes thunderhawk, it's been a couple years since I have used it but it was very impressive when I did use it.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Yes, I've tried Thunderhawk, and it does display the page correctly. However, it has problems right now for me that makes it basically unusable. The largest one is that I can't get it to remember persistent cookies across sessions. That is, if I log in to any site, say that I want to stay logged in at all times, and then get out of the browser the cookie doesn't remain. There's no way that I want to enter the userid and password every time on every site that requires them, so that's a no starter for me. By the way, I've discussed this with Thunderhawk support and they say it shouldn't operate this way. We've checked all my settings, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. The other problem with Thunderhawk is that to keep the web site displays on a single screen I specify the virtual screen resolution as "High (800x600)". It's fine that way, but the font is really small which makes it difficult to read comfortably. I wish there were a way to get the page to fit in a single column with a more readable font, but if there's a way I haven't found one. All in all, I like PIE just fine, but I wish it would load these pages properly the first time. Last, I called Sprint support today and they tried the same page with a 6700 on EVDO, and it didn't load properly on that either. So in summary, it looks like whatever the problem is it's a PIE one, but PIE doesn't have one bit of a problem over a broadband PC connection - yet it does have a problem when using EVDO or 1XRTT, and never has a problem when refreshing a page. Any other suggestions?

sounds to me as if you want your technology to actually work.... silly rabbit...

Very odd that it wouldn't work on a 6700, given that the 6700 isn't even running the same PIE version as the 6600. I may be off base but I'd be suspicious that they either bs'd you and SAID they tried it on a 6700 but didn't, or it's possible they weren't connected at EVDO speed and the 1xrtt connection could still be an issue. In either case, not sure what to tell you, if it works cradled it should work through vision, if speed isn't the issue...
    Tom