+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three Questions

Three Questions

I have three questions I need some help with, if anyone has answers. . .

1) The PDAPhoneHome Shop has been closed for more than a month. Is this a permanent closure? Is there a date when it will be re-opened?

2) Can posters here PLEASE indicate if their comment is Sprint or Verizon-specific. It is frustrating to read numerous posts about "6600 Upgrades" to find you are talking about a SPRINT upgrade only. And vice versa. . .

3) There is a post to the effect that volume on the phone is software set and that it is limited by Verizon. Is there any truth to this?

Dave

Since Verizon phones already have EVDO, upgrades that people are talkin bout these days all point to Sprint EVDO.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

upgrades to 6600

Were that true, I would not have posed the question.

Audiovox informed me later today that they will have an upgrade to the 6600 in 2-3 weeks to resolve the volume problems.

Again. . .if your statement or question is unique to a specific vendor, it would be helpful to put that information in the subject line to save time for those who use a different service.

Dave

Administrator
    contact mikey (convergent) about any shop issues.

i agree posters should insert [sprint] or [verizon] or.. etc... in the subject of their post... that would help...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    contact mikey (convergent) about any shop issues.

i agree posters should insert [sprint] or [verizon] or.. etc... in the subject of their post... that would help...
    Would help, but make things too easy... you know you like the challenge Marctronixx...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Re: upgrades to 6600

Originally posted by dmcclure

Audiovox informed me later today that they will have an upgrade to the 6600 in 2-3 weeks to resolve the volume problems.
    Dave

Good luck with this! I wouldn't hold my breath waiting!

When I was Newbie to the 6600, I bought the Jabra BT800 Headset, which uses BT ver. 1.1 to use the advanced features. I asked Audiovox if they were going to update this. EVERY SINGLE TECH I SPOKE TO OVER A 4 MONTH PERIOD SAID ANY DAY NOW!!!

Found out later that they CAN'T update it to ver 1.1 because it is a HARDWARE issue!!!!

While the Volume issue shouldn't be a hardware issue, don't hold your breath waiting...
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

Re: upgrades to 6600

Originally posted by dmcclure
    Were that true, I would not have posed the question.

Again. . .if your statement or question is unique to a specific vendor, it would be helpful to put that information in the subject line to save time for those who use a different service.

Dave

How much later today will it be when they tell you about the upgrade couldnt resist, sorry
    Last edited by Falconier; 11-03-2005 at 12:14 AM.

The volume issue

Well, let's try a somewhat more direct route and see how Audiovox chooses to respond. Mailed this today. . .

Dave

=================================

November 3, 2005

Mr. John J. Shalam
    President and Chief Executive Officer
    Audiovox Corporation
    180 Marcus Boulevard
    Hauppauge, New York 11788 USA

Dear John:

I am an American veteran, slightly hearing disabled due to my service. I am also an Audiovox customer, using a variety of products that include your XV6600 Pocket PC cellular telephone.

The XV6600 is an outstanding piece of electronics, with capabilities critical to my business and personal life, and I am much enamored of its wide array of features. It is a device in which you and the management of Audiovox should take great pride.

But it does have an issue that renders it less than perfect – the low volume on the cellular phone and speaker system that makes conversations difficult to impossible to hear even at full volume.

We have contacted customer support on this issue, and have been assured – for many months – that a software fix to the problem is a matter of days away. Or not. We have also been told that the problem is with Verizon and Sprint, that it is a hardware issue with XDA that cannot be fixed, and that your technicians can’t agree that the volume is too low.

I’m not one of those people who defines myself in a single dimension, but this is the kind of issue that makes me want to launch a class action lawsuit on behalf of disabled Americans to force your folks to pay attention to a problem that is impacting our ability to live a normal and productive life. The expensive and ugly solution.

Or pick up pen and paper to ask the Chairman, President and CEO why Audiovox would want to discriminate against hearing-impaired Americans when your folks could simply fix the problem and issue an update. A somewhat more elegant and productive solution.

I know the XV6600 may not have to meet standards for disabled access. But on the other hand, why push the issue when it is not necessary and would help so many people? At the risk of seeming impertinent, John, you’re not getting any younger yourself. I’m willing to bet hearing will become an issue for you one of these days, too. So how about helping us both out and getting the problem fixed?

Regards,

David P. McClure

a very well writen way to insult someone... something tells me you won't get a reply to that lol...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

The volume thingie

I wasn't actually INTENDING to insult. . .but, hey, how insulting is it to have the gnomes in design set the volume way too low, then to have your tech support people lie about it.

I call this righteous indignation, fueled by a phone that costs $300 to $600 and BY DESIGN doesn't have volume enough to be heard.

Sigh.

I will faithfully post whatever reply I get. . .

Dave