+ Reply to Thread

backlight off, then turns on, then dims

frustrating. my phone will be completely "dark" (nothing on the screen whatsoever) and then will light up (backlight will come on) on its own. then it will dim as it is supposed to. the question is, why is the backlight turning on (on its own) and why does it go back to dim as opposed to turning off? i would think that the battery will drain more quickly even when "dim."

nuts.

just noticed a similar thing on my ppc-6600. my backlight will only come on when it's plugged into the wall. If it take it off the ac adapter, the back light will shut off and i can't get it to come back on again. it's working fine otherwise. soft resets don't help.

wtf?
    ppc6700 (R.I.P. 6600)
    Sprint

Originally posted by btrcp2000
    just noticed a similar thing on my ppc-6600. my backlight will only come on when it's plugged into the wall. If it take it off the ac adapter, the back light will shut off and i can't get it to come back on again. it's working fine otherwise. soft resets don't help.

wtf?
    In your case it's probably a power setting, there's a place in power settings to set the backlight to turn off after x seconds when on battery power, what you are describing sounds like that is the case.
    Tom

Unplug the device from AC outlet.

Turn on the device then hold down the power button for several seconds. The backlight should come back on and not go off (until the timeout period, 30-60 seconds). When this occurs, just touch the screen and it should come back on again.
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

no, not the same thing

-i turn off the screen, the screen goes DARK

-moments later it TURNS BACK ON by itself (without human intervention), ON as in LIT.

-if it turns back on it goes DIM after a short while OR the screen goes dark....sometimes it just stays DIM (i can see the start screen but it is dim).

drives me bonkers.

i hate the battery life (i have a Lion 2400 battery, it's heavy in my opinion), the backlight, and the pullout keyboard that i'm about to go back to a VZ (current carrier) Treo 650. when the T700 gets here i will jump ship again.

the only thing i like about this device is the slim profile and the screen. the rest of it is poor in my opinion (have owned t600, t650, i730, and a host of blackberries)

one hand devices rule.

Re: no, not the same thing

Originally posted by oalvarez
    -i turn off the screen, the screen goes DARK

-moments later it TURNS BACK ON by itself (without human intervention), ON as in LIT.

-if it turns back on it goes DIM after a short while OR the screen goes dark....sometimes it just stays DIM (i can see the start screen but it is dim).

drives me bonkers.

i hate the battery life (i have a Lion 2400 battery, it's heavy in my opinion), the backlight, and the pullout keyboard that i'm about to go back to a VZ (current carrier) Treo 650. when the T700 gets here i will jump ship again.

the only thing i like about this device is the slim profile and the screen. the rest of it is poor in my opinion (have owned t600, t650, i730, and a host of blackberries)

one hand devices rule.
    Sounds like you may have something running that keeps "waking" the phone up. Maybe an IM client or auto-email checker of some sort?

Dave: yes sir, you may be on to something

Goodlink software is installed and running on the device. I will triple check all of the settings for the 100th time to make sure that some alert/alarm/notification/etc is not causing the failure. i have done so many failure tests (turn a setting off but the problem still occurs) that i can't remember where they all are.

at the end of the day, if the user chooses for the backlight to stay off IT SHOULD STAY OFF until the screen is tapped. i will continue in my quest to find the culprit.

days are numbered ol' xv6600.

thanks for your help

BA with wifi still can't be beat
    Yep, its Goodlink. The world's worst software strikes again. Goodlink will "wake up" the device every few minutes to check the server for mail. Even though it may look as if you have closed Goodlink, Goodapp.exe will still run in the background and keep waking the device. It is the only software I have ever encountered that will not let you control its state. Now you can join the group of us users who contact support@good.com only to get no acceptable answers.
    SX66 (PH20B1)
    ROM: 1.40.00 WWE
    Radio: 1.13.00

Re: Dave: yes sir, you may be on to something

Originally posted by oalvarez
    Goodlink software is installed and running on the device. I will triple check all of the settings for the 100th time to make sure that some alert/alarm/notification/etc is not causing the failure. i have done so many failure tests (turn a setting off but the problem still occurs) that i can't remember where they all are.

at the end of the day, if the user chooses for the backlight to stay off IT SHOULD STAY OFF until the screen is tapped. i will continue in my quest to find the culprit.

days are numbered ol' xv6600.

thanks for your help
    I had a similar problem when I first got mine. I'd pull it out of my pocket to find the thing on and have some random event taking place cause the screen was active.

There's a program I've been using that can help with that, its an app called 1-Pass:
    http://www.omegaone.com/pass/default.htm

Its one of the things that should have been included with the OS. Provides a password and keylock function for the screen. And if it wakes up, this will shut it back off. I think there's some freeware apps that do this as well but I liked this one.