+ Reply to Thread

PPC-6600 "Could not answer the call"

Been having an issue lately with my PPC-6600 that has been starting to occur more often than usual.

When attempting to punch the talk button for an incoming call instead of answering it drops the call instead and I get a popup window saying "Could not answer the call" and the only option is to press "OK".

Anyone else experienced this odd behavior?

Yes and it is very annoying. I just chalk a lot of the problems to normal computer glitches. I've been in the computer field for a long time and sometimes things just don't work as advertised. But a solution to this problem would be awesome.
    Its Hard out here for a pimp, Just trying make money for the rent, Cadillac Gas money spent, and all of my peeps jumping ship.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    I have also noticed this. It seems to occur more often when i have other programs running or when i am in a poor reception area.

On rare occasions I have noticed it happen repeatedly and only stop after a soft reset.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

I get this semi-regularly too. Mine doesn't seem to correspond to low reception, but perhaps running a program. I think also it happens when I click answer and the person has already gone to my voicemail.

Mark

Are you guys answering with the on screen "bubble" or with the red and green hardware buttons? Most of the time the complaints come from people trying to hit the touchscreen. I think it has to do with the touch screen not coming on fast enough. Try using the hardware buttons. I use my Bluetooth headset most of the time so I don't see this either.

The other annoying thing is the cannot complete the call as dialed dialog. The only way I found to get out of that is to toggle flightmode or soft reset.
    AT&T Jailbroken Iphone 3G 2.2

My Bluetooth is built in!
    Originally posted by IvanLasston
    Are you guys answering with the on screen "bubble" or with the red and green hardware buttons? Most of the time the complaints come from people trying to hit the touchscreen. I think it has to do with the touch screen not coming on fast enough. Try using the hardware buttons. I use my Bluetooth headset most of the time so I don't see this either.

The other annoying thing is the cannot complete the call as dialed dialog. The only way I found to get out of that is to toggle flightmode or soft reset.
    I have gotten that dialog also, though not recently fortunately. I had to reset also.

I have noticed the 'unable to answer call' bubble with both the hardware and on screen buttons and the BT headset.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Originally posted by IvanLasston

I've had it happen with both, but mostly I use the hardware button to answer the phone because the on-screen answer button is just too small to hit reliably with my finger.

I have noticed the unable to answer error, and I almost exclusively use a bluetooth headset. Mostly seems to happen to me when trying to use the BT headset after it has gone to "sleep".

I also get the error when trying to dial out and the phone says dialing, but never completes the call. Only solution is to go to flight mode, or reset the phone.

Originally posted by kinoons
    I have noticed the unable to answer error, and I almost exclusively use a bluetooth headset. Mostly seems to happen to me when trying to use the BT headset after it has gone to "sleep".

I also get the error when trying to dial out and the phone says dialing, but never completes the call. Only solution is to go to flight mode, or reset the phone.
    <VZW XV6600> Hold the red "END CALL" key for about 2 seconds to kill your data connection. Be ready as the call will then dial immediately.

As for not being able to answer a call, this typically happens to me near the end of the ring cycle and the call has already gone to voice mail. It may actually have something to do with the frequency that the handset polls the cell tower for updates, but I know of no way to change that on the 6600.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor1; 11-02-2005 at 08:37 PM.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have a related question about Voice Command. I have the "announce the call" feature enabled and it seems that the only way I can answer a call now is to press the special "answer" on-screen window that pops up when a call comes in. Is anyone able to answer in this mode via the hardware button?

From what I get this is a problem with the message going to voice mail before the talk button is pushed. Is there a way to extend the number of rings before this happens? I am willing to bet just about anything that this would solve the problem.

Gruhn

I never used to have this problem...when I ran the Check Notifications problem. After a recent hard reset I did not reinstall this program and have been seeing this issue myself. Maybe related, maybe not...I won't know for a while but I'll install it tonight.

Check Notifications? This is a program? Expound please =)

Gruhn

A useful program that seems to mysteriously fix a few WM2K3 glitches.
    Check it out at ScaryBear's website
    MemMaid also has a similar function.MemMaid
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

i installed memmaid and it screwed up my PPC, maybe just me?
    Support the fine arts... Shoot a Rapper!
    Phone/PDA: Audiovox XV6600

I deinitely think more rings would solve everyones problem. Can sprint change this? Or is this somthing we can do on the PPC itself?

Gruhn

solution that worked for me

With Telus' help we determined that on my phone the locator service was delaying the 1st ring. That of course left me with less time to answer. So the solution was to turn it off on the phone. Now I rarely miss a call.

Seems the phone processor was just not fast enough in some locations.
    Mr. Snowman
    <a href="http://www.nonijuiceint.com/today">www.nonijuiceint.com/today</a>

I just emailed Sprint about more rings per call. Right now mine rings about three times. I think six would be better.

Gruhn

length of rings time

Ring time is controlled by the cellular provider equipment that controls the towers. They do not generally ever change that setting. Its not like the land line phones. Someting about timing and it is set on a cell phone model basis.
    Mr. Snowman
    <a href="http://www.nonijuiceint.com/today">www.nonijuiceint.com/today</a>