Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

feel ripped on 6600. can i get new model?

is there any way to get customer service to send out the 6700? can i tell them my 6600 is broken or something and they will replace it with the new one under the warranty?

i spent 630 dollars for my 6600 in july. i just feel bumed out because it looks so old at this point. we all know about the evdo issues. some say yes. some say no. without it our device makes me feel like an aol dial up user.

then there is the issue of wifi. i have a card, but it never really works right. very buggy. also there is the whole issue of memory. if my battery goes dead i lose everything right? on wm5 i dont lose my data? (i have heard that wm5 also gets double the battery life of our os? is this true?)

finally there is wm5 and media player 10. it may be buggy too, but how many people will be using our old operating system by lets say the summer?

i have a feeling my 6600 will really be an antique by then.

so is there anyway to get a new unit from sprint? if i erase parts of my os will they send my the newer model?

I don't mean to be rude, but you bought the unit in July and now have buyer's remorse because a new unit came out, so you just expect Sprint to give you a new one? I wouldn't expect a 6700 to replace a 6600 even through lockline any time soon, I'm sure they still have plenty of 6600's in stock.
    Tom

1 post. hmm one word comes to mind portjervisman. maybe another id created by him. wanting everyone's approval and bringing up the update discussion.

Most importantly, you are discussing insurance fraud.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

My Bluetooth is built in!

Re: feel ripped on 6600. can i get new model?

Originally posted by suzy duffy
    is there any way to get customer service to send out the 6700? can i tell them my 6600 is broken or something and they will replace it with the new one under the warranty?

i spent 630 dollars for my 6600 in july. i just feel bumed out because it looks so old at this point. we all know about the evdo issues. some say yes. some say no. without it our device makes me feel like an aol dial up user.

then there is the issue of wifi. i have a card, but it never really works right. very buggy. also there is the whole issue of memory. if my battery goes dead i lose everything right? on wm5 i dont lose my data? (i have heard that wm5 also gets double the battery life of our os? is this true?)

finally there is wm5 and media player 10. it may be buggy too, but how many people will be using our old operating system by lets say the summer?

i have a feeling my 6600 will really be an antique by then.

so is there anyway to get a new unit from sprint? if i erase parts of my os will they send my the newer model?
    Sprint will replace your phone with the same model until they run out of them. They will then replace it with an equivilent model. Historically it has taken at least 1-2 years for sprint to run out of replacements for a particular model and start substituting.

Sell your ppc-6600 and add a little money to that to get the 6700. Unfortunately it can be expensive to always have the latest and greatest.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

bryan:, thanks for your reply. obviously, i dont expect things to last forever. a year would be great tho! lol.

would you say tho that by the summer our operating system will be as dated as windows 95 or still with enough clout to command respect?

also maybe you can answer another question about streaming video? screen size on our unit is wonderful, but depending on the bit rate a smaller screen size might give more clarity right? streaming video will lose detail as the screen gets bigger? so a smaller screen might give a richer picture? correct?

It would give a richer picture, yes, but only because the screen is smaller and the pixels are packed in there tighter. Personally I'd rather have the larger screen but that's just me.
    Tom

tom, is there a point when some streaming content wont play on mediaplayer 9 because of its age? what is the latest on putting player 10 on our device. is it possible or is it buggy?

The main thing I regret is I paid full price for my 6600 20 days before the 6700 came out. I didn't think that the 6700 was going to actually be released, but my old phone was broken.

Then when the 6700 was released, the price dropped dramatically on the 6600, which was the major annoying thing.

The main reasons I wanted the 6700 was for a good camera and wifi. Now I am looking at buying a wifi adapter and external camera, but at that, I might as well sell my 6600 and use the money to get the 6700.

I still like the 6600, though.

Mark.

mscott, what might i get for my 6600 on ebay? its in perfect condition?

folo, i checked. looks like around $350?

Originally posted by suzy duffy
    tom, is there a point when some streaming content wont play on mediaplayer 9 because of its age? what is the latest on putting player 10 on our device. is it possible or is it buggy?
    I don't use streaming video all that much but probably will use it more when EVDO is available, I didn't bother loading the WM10 on it as it didn't really matter that much to me, but from what I've read it worked out well. Who knows, an EVDO update might also contain other upgrades like WM10, one would hope so anyway.
    Tom

be honest people, the 6700 isn't worth crying over if you have the 6600, the 6600 is a great phone, streaming video, mp3, email, web browsing, txt messageing, bluetooth, and everything else you know it does. I found wifi to be pretty usless as I use sprint Vision all the darn time flawlessly and it will be years before I would even think of using the camera in a phone to take pictures that I actually will want to keep and print out over my small and relatively cheap 5 megapixle camera. I'm about to stick a 2gig SD card in my 6600 and rock some serious MP3 playing which will be about 25 hours of playback at 96kbs to 192kbs recorded levels. I just don't see the need to go from the 6600 to the 6700 at all unless you reallly really NEED one of the very few new features the 6700 has, and if I hear about this mythical evdo one more time I will have to puke all over Tom's shoes, and he wears nice shoes from what I hear
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

haha mythical evdo, cute cute. Have faith!
    Tom

amirmckelvey: what is mythical about evdo? maybe it will come? how long can you stream audio off your battery before it goes bad?

so if you could have either the 6700 or the 6600 you would take the 6600?

yeah I would take a free upgrade, anyone would, not a good question... would I pay $100 to upgrade to the 6700... probably not, mainly because my 6600 does everthing I need it to do. If the 6700 could EASILY use my HS820 bluetooth ear piece w/ voice command to make calls then maybe... just maybe...

as for the streaming audio I can stream for nearly 3 hours before needing to charge, but I listen while I'm at work, so it's plugged into the charger while I stream so I'm at 100% charge all the time. I use ORB every now and then as well to watch some movies over the vision service through my computer and that is pretty flawless as well w/ only the occational buffering around 5pm when people get off work and hogg my bandwith for about 30 min or so. then it's back to normal. (I'm at work from 10pm to 7pm)
    Last edited by amirmckelvey; 11-02-2005 at 11:53 AM.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

If I were you I would consider selling your current phone and buying a 6700. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME PRICE! I have considered it since I just got my phone replaced because of a problem with my previous phone. I now have a new/referb that looks and functions perfectly, no flaws so I consider it new. Heck, even if I only got $400 for my phone that would only mean $50 for the 6700.

Gruhn

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    What's with all the spineless corner-cutters lately? Deal with your decisions like an adult. Your corner-cutting costs the rest of us temporarily but karma can be a real b*tch.

amirmckelvey: even with the bigger screen on the 6600... the 6700 would tempt you to swtich? if i can get 400 id consider, i just dont think i can get it tho.

the thing is, is the price dropping on 6600 resales? im afraid if i wait ill get nothing especially with evdo uncertanty?

Some of the Cons of the 6700

• There is no carrying case or belt clip included.
    • A voice command utility is lacking.
    • The keyboard backlight is difficult to see in daylight.
    • The external antenna is unsightly and a bothersome appendage that should become vestigial.
    • With no SIM card, you are stuck with one carrier.
    • With a mini-SD slot, you are limited to 1 GB.

some of the pros over the 6600

• The form factor is a nice compromise between a cell phone and a Pocket PC and fits in your hand comfortably.
    • The horizontal keyboard is a definite plus along with the automatically rotated screen.
    • It sports a Window Mobile 5 operating system.
    • The 416 MHz processor is faster than many PPC phones, but could be faster.
    • There are no conflicts among wireless functions and the ability to run concurrently is most welcome.
    • The EV-DO fast network connectivity, but its limited availability.

W/ the pros and cons for paying $ to go from the 6600 to the 6700 when I currently have no problems w/ the 6600 and EV-DO being a real as the toothfery for my area (Buffalo NY) I will gladly keep my 6600 for a long time to come, which in tech terms is a year or so....

thanks amirmckelvey. you answered my questions. what is your personal feelings about the update? will it come?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast