+ Reply to Thread

Can I change a shortcut's icon?

I hate a shortcut icon and want to change it. Can I?

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Yes.

E

I can't see an option to do so under the shortcut's properties. What is the method I should use to do so?

This isn't something you can do with a right-click and a wink.

There are tools to do this. Perhaps a search engine might be able to point you to some of them.

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    This isn't something you can do with a right-click and a wink.

There are tools to do this. Perhaps a search engine might be able to point you to some of them.

Ehud
    I've performed two searches already. "Icon" returned over 6 pages of results, I couldn't find what I needed. "change icon" resulted in 2 pages worth but not one with the information I'm looking for.

If you don't want to help that's perfectly fine, perhaps somebody else will post the name of the program I need. But if you don't want to help why even bother to reply at all?

RUNNING
    Resco Explorer 2005 has the option your looking for

Originally posted by bartlane
    I've performed two searches already.
    I performed just one:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t+pc+icon+edit

And it continues:

"Icon" returned over 6 pages of results, I couldn't find what I needed. "change icon" resulted in 2 pages worth but not one with the information I'm looking for.

If you don't want to help that's perfectly fine, perhaps somebody else will post the name of the program I need. But if you don't want to help why even bother to reply at all?
    If you don't want to use a search engine, please don't somehow make it my fault for suggesting you learn.

Ehud
    Last edited by Ehud; 12-13-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Originally posted by Ehud
    I performed just one:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t+pc+icon+edit

If you don't want to use a search engine, please don't somehow make it my fault for suggesting you learn.

Ehud
    AND IN THIS CORNER WEARING THE BLUE AND WHITE TRUNKS WITH OUT GLOVES ON... EHUD!!!!!
    Last edited by amirmckelvey; 12-13-2005 at 08:15 PM.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Ehud [/B]
    I suggested nothing of the sort. I was using this site's search engine but having no luck. I found some editors on google but none allowed me to change the icons after I made them. I guess I will buck up and by the new Resco, thank you seanworks.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

Enough.

Moderators..

I may not post much, but I read here on a daily basis, and have utilized many of the tips and suggestions here to make better use of my device. I view this forum as a professional resource, and I have to say, I've just had enough of the childish behaviour that is being *constantly* displayed by some of the participants.

Just because a member may make significant contributions to a community, they are not given a free pass to act rudely or waste forum bandwidth. My time, like that of others here, is valuable. I do not intend to keep wasting it having to wade through childish posts.

If someone does not know the answer to a question, or does not wish to answer a question, that is their right. If they have nothing to contribute besides snide comments, then perhaps their presence is one that we can do without.

A sticky was recently posted in this forum regarding proper behaviour of the participants. I would hope that it is enforced appropriately.
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

I've checked them all and none of the programs at the google link let you change the icons of .lnk or .exe files. You can edit, create and alter .ico files but once you do that there is no way to import them into the shortcuts or executables.
    Last edited by bartlane; 12-13-2005 at 11:51 PM.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar

Re: Enough.

Originally posted by Gare_NY
    My time, like that of others here, is valuable. I do not intend to keep wasting it having to wade through childish posts.
    OK, then lets all agree to:

1) Search for answers before opening a new thread.
    2) Clearly state what the problem is, what we have done to try to solve the problem, and what we have searched for in an attempt to find the problem (this is not a slam on you Bartlane, just a general feeling of frustration).
    3) Keep threads on topic, using PM to reach moderators and availing ourselves of 'stickies' where appropriate.

I agree that our time is valuable. Personally, I'd rather read through "childish posts" that serve to raise the overall quality of the board over time. I find that inaccurately titled threads, entitlement queens, and duplicitative threads waste far more of my time than anything else. I'd also suggest that you can block specific posters who you feel don't add value so that you don't have to read them.

Nothing against you personally, but you're asking the moderators to shut down someone whose posts I happen to enjoy reading, and who I feel has raised the overall quality of the posts on this site. This is a very good site, with a lot of good information. Again, this is not intended as a slam on Bartlane so please don't take it that way, but I think the incidence of "Hi, I'm a noob who can't be bothered to read or search and I demand you solve my problem" posts has definitely decreased over the past 9 months or so. If you feel differently, that's your right, but use the tools available to you to make your reading more efficient.

I'd welcome a continuation of this discussion if you're interested, but perhaps we could move it to a more appropriate setting and leave this thread to its original topic.

Apparently the shortcut encoding is not quite so useful.

Copy the program you want to another name. Change its icon. Then make a short cut to it (or use it by itself with no shutcut).

Ehud
    (I'm sorry, did somebody say something?)

I certainly agree with this:

>>but I think the incidence of "Hi, I'm a noob who can't be >>bothered to read or search and I demand you solve my >>problem" posts has definitely decreased over the past 9 >>months or so.

But it speaks directly to my point - bartlane isn't a noob, and should not be treated like one. Not that noobs necessarily be treated rudely either, but one can definitely understand how a 1 or 2 poster asking to have everything handed to them would rate some flaming.

Thank you for an intelligent discourse.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

The ignore feature works wonders.

After searching on "change shortcut icon" and finding nothing on this site, I was hoping someone would provide the answer in this thread.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

Try this, copy a shortcut from the PDA over to the desktop with ActiveSync, next open Notepad and then drag and drop the shortcut into Notepad, or use the File -> open command and open the shortcut. You will see something like this:

21#:MSCONTACTS?outres.dll,-10000

That is the shortcut for Contacts. The ? make signifies that there is a file to find the icon in, and the outres.dll,-10000 signifies which icon it's pulling from outres.dll.

So you can use one of the programs that ehud suggested and then create your own icon, then modify the shortcut to point to it and which placement in the icon file you want to use.
    Last edited by mrailing; 12-14-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Oh, not all shortcuts have a pointer to an icon file. Some just pull the icon from the EXE which is encoded with one, or it uses the default exe icon that the pocket PC has registered.

Oh, and another thing, I did a search for it and did find this post:

Icons for Pocket PC

Ehud - you and people like you suck

Ehud - what's your problem. is that how you answer every question, tell people to look it up. isn't that what these forums are for, for people to ask questions.

Holy Old Thread, Batman!!

Matt, I personally appreciate your observation of Ehud's snark, but he posted his comments back in December of 2005... and has since been banned for being a complete... um.. himself.

In any event, I never did see a viable solution to this issue, and think that it might be handy to know. Anyone?

Gare