+ Reply to Thread

upgrade from WM2K3 to WM5

Before you get your hopes up, I'm not offering anything other than some information.
    I remember reading here (or maybe pcsintel, not sure) that we would never legally get an upgrade to WM5 since MS had announced that they were not going to license phone edition pdas like that.

So I mention something like that in another forum and... well, look yourself
    Here's the link to engadget the guy mentions. Kind of interesting.
    Now, this guy could be full of it, but it doesn't look too phony to me.
    Personally, I'd rather wait for WM5- let the 6700 users shake all the bugs out!
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

this has nothing to do with the harrier (i.e. PPC6600/XV6600)

It doesn't have anything to do with a license for PDA/Phones, it has to do with how the phones memory structure is/was designed. The i730 for example was designed to be a WM5 device, but was released before WM5 was on the market, and Verizon has said from the beginning that the i730 WILL get WM5 sometime around Q1 - 06.

The 6600's memory structure is not laid out for a "proper" WM5 upgrade, as it would give you FAR less memory usuage on the phone with the new layout. This has to do with RAM, ROM, and SafeStore (Flash Memory).

So yes phone's will have WM5 as an upgrade, but the 6600 was never intended to get it because it's memory was not in the correct configuration.

Now I am not saying it's impossible to get WM5 on the 6600, but I don't know how well it will run because it doesn't meet all the minimum specs that WM5 requests.

It is true that the 6600 was not designed with WM 5 in mind but you can reassign the memory allocation by getting rid of the extended rom real easy and WM 5 runs fine on the blue angels (the gsm version of our phones)

Hi Tech Trader
    MS never said they couldn't upgrade phone devices... they said they wouldn't... which was based on current information. The upgrade is available to ALL OEMs, but (when the statement was made) no OEM was going to. Eten M500 is going to updated... so is the Samsung now. Neither OEM had commented to the otherwise. HTC, on the other hand, has.

Dont hold your breath for anything official.

What does WM5 do that is so overwhelmingly better than WM2k3?

From what I've seen of WM5, it doesn't seem all that big of a deal. It is still too new and is flakey at best.

I need a device I can rely on.

Just my .02 cents...
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The BlueAngel/Harrier has MORE than the required specs to run WM5. Sure, it wasn't designed for it, but its ODC, FFS, and memory structure is MORE than adequate for the WM5 and MORE than that found in other hardware for which there is WM5 (specifically Himalaya.)

I hate to disagree with moderators, but this is flat out wrong, and has already been debunked both on here and on xda-developers.

If you have specific information, kindly share it. The use of generic terms tends to perpetuate rumors, innuendo, and the FUD MS and SCO are famous for, NTESOP.

Ehud

Originally posted by mrailing
    It doesn't have anything to do with a license for PDA/Phones, it has to do with how the phones memory structure is/was designed. The i730 for example was designed to be a WM5 device, but was released before WM5 was on the market, and Verizon has said from the beginning that the i730 WILL get WM5 sometime around Q1 - 06.

The 6600's memory structure is not laid out for a "proper" WM5 upgrade, as it would give you FAR less memory usuage on the phone with the new layout. This has to do with RAM, ROM, and SafeStore (Flash Memory).

So yes phone's will have WM5 as an upgrade, but the 6600 was never intended to get it because it's memory was not in the correct configuration.

Now I am not saying it's impossible to get WM5 on the 6600, but I don't know how well it will run because it doesn't meet all the minimum specs that WM5 requests.

i just wish they would release an official update with WM10 and the latest and greatest BT stack.

all I want is voice command over BT and I'm happy.

Past that, my device does exactly what I need

voice command over BT and to listen to my MP3's via my bluetooth earpiece as well... my Scala-500 has a 9 hour talk time.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I wonder if wm5 would also be louder on the ringtones.
    xv-6600 pocket plus,world mate, Avantgo.

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    voice command over BT and to listen to my MP3's via my bluetooth earpiece as well... my Scala-500 has a 9 hour talk time.
    just get the 3400 battery to solve your talk time issues

Originally posted by lcohen999
    just get the 3400 battery to solve your talk time issues
    oh I don't have talk time issues, I just want to listen to my music over my bluetooth earpiece and when I get a call have it switch to the call. Don't really care if it's in mono.
    My phone is always powered due to charger at work and at home so I haven't needed to get an extra battery yet, I keep thinking of gettting one but it would just collect dust sitting in my charger.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by BetaMan
    What does WM5 do that is so overwhelmingly better than WM2k3?

From what I've seen of WM5, it doesn't seem all that big of a deal. It is still too new and is flakey at best.

I need a device I can rely on.

Just my .02 cents...
    Thats like saying what does Windows XP do that Windows 2000 doesn't do. Sure both versions share some code but what is most important is that the new OS becomes the jumping off point for everything. Windows XP was flakey when it first came out but is quite stable now. Microsoft is releasing a Security and Features Pack Q1 2006 and this will only work on WM 5. To me the biggest danger is that if we can't get it to work now, newer devices come out and interest wanes. Then this great device gets stuck "in the 80's"

Hi Tech Trader
    WM5 adds some feature that are valuable to some (i.e. better office apps, VC over BT, persistant storage, one handed use) but definitely has shortcomings. Some will want it while others dont. The important thing, though, is that we have a CHOICE, which we currently do not. Hopefully the work of some will pay off and give us that choice, which apparently the companies we PAID for our product don't think it is in their interests to provide to us. What makes it worse, in my mind, is that they would rather lie about incompatibility reasons then just tell us the truth, which does make me inclined to believe they are doing some form of engineered obsolense.

I have a Dell x50v and dropped the 40 bucks to upgrade to WM5. I found it much slower than 03SE and just to make my life more interesting it started to randomly reboot and to add to my frustrations It takes twice as long to reboot in WM5 than 03. I took a very fast stable PDA and made it in to a slow pig with hardly any memory left compared how it was prior to the upgrade. I went through similar issues when 03se was released so I guess I will never learn.
    Verizon 6600, Dell Axim x50v with 5.0 upgrade, Axim x-5, and last but not least Casio BE-300

they will get the bugs worked out of WM5, just like they did with 2003.

How do you get the PPC6600 to get into Update mode....... I stuck WM05 on my harrier and it doesn't work..... I remember there being a shortcut key like the hard reset but with a couple other buttons to get the USB update screen...... does anyone know how to get it to that screen without the software?

power+record+softreeset
    Support the fine arts... Shoot a Rapper!
    Phone/PDA: Audiovox XV6600