+ Reply to Thread

PPC6600 from Canada to US

I recently moved to the US and I'd like to activate my PPC6600 (bought from Canada under the Bell Mobility plan) with a US provider. Does anyone know if this is possible and if it is, any advise which carrier I should go to? Bell Mobility service has already been discontinued. Thanks!

Easiest way to get a definate answer is to walk into a sprint store and try it.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

i can tell you that YES this is possible. I work for a small carrier and had a sales phone which i got for free. Well i wanted a PPC660 and i would have had to pay retail b/c there was no contract and i was unable to sign a contract with a work phone #. Anyway, i didnt have the cash but really wanted one, especially since all the data and services are free to salespeople. So i went looking online for one. I found that Sprint and Verizon both had them. Awsome except for one thing, they BRAND their phones. I wasnt about to go around using a SPRINT or VERIZON phone on some other carrier that i worked for because what would customers think if they saw i was using a phone from another carrier? Sure i would have had it working on our system, but to the average customer, if the phone says sprint, then that phone is on sprint service. So i had to go looking for this ~600 phone in an unbranded version. Well i found it in only one place, CANADA. GOD BLESS THE CANADIANS for they dont stick their company names all over there phones! I got a PPC660 unbranded, that is it said AUDIOVOX in the upper lefthand corner, instead of sprint or Verizon. I got a good deal, and away i went.

You must note, that any CDMA phone will work on ANY CDMA service provided 2 conditions:

1) You know the SPC (service programming code)
    2) Your new carrier will add your ESN into the system.

#1 isnt bad. Many phones now have 000000 as the SPC. Infact, i think there may even be some type of regulation now on this, even so, it wouldnt be the same for Canada, they have different ones. There are ways to view the file system on the 6600 and copy a file to you computer where you can "edit" it in notepad and find the SPC, but this gets sort of technical. So heres my bit on this:

HUGE TIP HERE-----> WHEN BUYING A USED PHONE, ANY USED PHONE, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT THE SPC IS, IF YOU CANT GET IT, YOU ARE PROBABLY BETTER OF JUST BUYING A DIFFERENT ONE WHERE THE SPC IS KNOWN.

#2 is the more difficult of the 2 for there is absoutly nothing you can to as far as what policies a company has in place. I had it easy, it was as simple as changing it one day while i was at work, but for you, you should check into it, call EVERY CDMA carrier in your area, and see if they will enter the ESN. Make sure you know whether or not they carry the particular phone you are looking to activate, many times, a company will be mush more agreeable to letting you so it if it is one that they themselves carry.

So the answer is 2 part, Technically = yes, Actually doing it = maybe

Sprint will NOT under any circumstances activate a phone not in the ir database. And it is effectively impossible to insert a non-branded phone into their database.

Judging from what I've seen on HoFo, Verizon Wireless seems to be a little more liberal in this regard, but may be tightening up. Also note, the harrier has a fairly large amount of carrier customization - you may have to put the carrier's own firmware version on it (at least to start).
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

nope, firmware can be anything you want. I agree there are a few extras settings, as far as DATA goes anyway. Normally you jut need to enter the PRL, but with this phone, if its not from your carrier, like other phones you must enter your carrier specific data settings. In my case, i just used a Generic PST program to change these settings, the did a hard reboot, i may have changed the setting within the firmware, im not that technical and dont know, but nothing special needed to be loaded on, we just changed the settings. Also note, i didnt knwo how to do much of this, i learned as i watched someone else do this. He was an engineer at the corporate office and he definitly knew what he was doing.

Okay, so then i would eliminate sprint. Then try Verizon. Otherwise you could try Alltel, US Cellular, or if you have local CDMA carrier, try them first(smaller commpanies = more customer centered)

Please note - there is a SIGNFICANT difference between the ##data provisioning setup on a harrier between Sprint and VZW. (Sprint actually uses the M.IP screens while VZW does not). This indicates to me that there would be some issues in trying to use the wrong phone-side firmware (we're talking about a converged device here - there are effectively 2 sets of firmware - one for the OS and one for the phone side). If I ws to try and get a non-VZW harrier onto VZWs network, I would try to put the VZW firmware on it. PRLs are loaded via an on-board tool (##PST from the phone app and you have to know the MSL), and data provisioning is done OTA. (From messing about both with my Sprint device and a VZW device I got to try and troubleshoot - the Sprint device allows manual provisioning of the data features, while the VZW does not - it can only be provisioned OTA). I didn't know that a PST tool would work with this device - I thought I had seen some commentary to the effect that one did not exist.

At any rate - the current VZW firmware *is* available from audiovox. (As is the current Sprint version - but that's a washout since they won't add foreign ESNs).

I don't know enough about the 2nd-tier CDMA carriers in the US to be able to offer advice on them.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

as far as how the data is programmed....The canadian carrier it came from used the ip system. The engineer i worked with made the comment, oh, thats intresting to know. I have no idea why but thats wht he said. I know our service does not use the ip setup. After he had the SID and other misc. values changed, he simply added out WAP address "user" and "password" and the phones data worked great. We don thave EVDO so im not sure if that makes a difference. As far as PRL's go, they can be dont OTA ot via cable, EITHER WILL WORK. Im actually not sure what MSL is? Is it the same is SPC, i work for a cellphone company but i dont knwo the lingo? Thats not good, lol. Any way, we can update PRL's provided we have their data cable, we use a provisioning computer and just reload the PRL file saved on the hard drive. Note, this has to be done with phones that are not origially on our service as they would be not currently pulling signal off our towers. OTA PRL updates can only be done if the phone has a signal from our service. If a customer dials #228 from their cell phone which used to belong to US Cellular, then their phone will get the updated PRL for US Celular, not us. So PRL loading can only be 100% done everytime via a cable, its the only sure thing. OTA transfer can only be done if the phone already has a version of your new carriers PRL already on it.

I like my answer.... go to a sprint store and try it.....
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

yea, go to the sprint store if you like sprint. Personally, i cant stand their service but then agian im more rural than most, so its up to you. I do agree tho, just go ask them, what can they do, tell you no?

So what, then go to the next.

PS, ill buy your canadian 6600 if you cant get it working...LOL...i knwo someone who can get it working

from nilaszewski
    i just used a Generic PST program to change these settings, the did a hard reboot; .i knwo someone who can get it working
    Would you be able to share exactly how you or tech guy got a generic pst to see it? e.g. registry switch, wmodem, etc.

well to be completly honest, he basically plugged my cradle into his laptop, opened the generic PST, and then did his thing. I have a provisioning computer here handy but i have to wait till later when the customer traffic dies off before ill have a chance to check into it. Im sure it should be pretty easy tho, it took him seriosuly 10 secondes fom plug in to seeing the setting of the phone. He did some kind of Button sequesnce for a DATA LOAD mode? it was puch and hold, the MEMO, POWER and TAP RESET, all at the same time. im not sure if it RESETS the phone, so be careful. More to come later tonight, so ill post, plus im watching anyway.

Actually, i cant get the software, i guess only theengineering dept has it. Oh well, i can tell you that the program was called "Generic PST" and it is all that he used.

Darn. Too bad. Oh well. I've tried the three buttons but only got serial/usb v1.03 or something. Control Panel doesn't show it being connected at all.

"Generic PST"- maybe someone could find it or point out where else to find it.

Thanks for trying nilaszewski.

yea, even if i could get my hands on the PST software, i couldnt give it out, it would be agianst the law for 2 reasons, 1) Copyrights and 2) it doesnt belong to me. I dont want to get fired and i cant give something the company owns, if you can find it, its as easy as starting up the program, plugging in the cradle, do the button sequence i told you, and then puttin the phone in the cradle, enter the SPC and your in.