+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do not upgrade to GoToMyPC V 5.0

Hi there, If you happen to use GoToMyPC don't upgrade to the new version 5.0. Your PPC will not work with the new version. Get this, they rolled out the new version knowing that it would not work with Windows Mobile and they told me that by the end of January (maybe) they would have the viewer to work with this new version.

So they had to flag me back to the old version, now I have to uninstall version 5.0 and reinstall the older version.

why in the world would anyone use a paysoftware like that anyway? logmein.com is free and i use a ftp fro file transfer
    Support the fine arts... Shoot a Rapper!
    Phone/PDA: Audiovox XV6600

Originally posted by sevarious
    why in the world would anyone use a paysoftware like that anyway? logmein.com is free and i use a ftp fro file transfer
    I just went to their site and it says $69.95 /yr ??? Isn't that "Paysoftware" ?

thats the pro, which lets you use them to transfer files, i use the logmein free which i can controll as many pcs as i want and use my ftp server for file transfers and not pay for it, you get a free trial for the pro when you sign up, after 30days if you dont pay it goes to the free.

https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=products_free
    heres the link to the free one or you can just click new account and click the link that says free

EDIT- i use this to fix my clients computers all the time, it wonderous!
    Last edited by sevarious; 12-15-2005 at 11:33 AM.

What's the catch? How do they make money?

no catch, no ads, no intrusion. its a 1-2MB file taht installs on your pc and the only tyhing you ever see is the icon in the tasktray that elts you disable it. i assume they make their money on teh paying people, they have an ITReach version too taht requires no install or something like that. btw, you can add as many pcs as you want, i have about 15 on my account right now

This sounds exciting.

1) Can you use it from either a latptop, or pda, connecting to a desktop on cable?

2) If you do something on the screen, how long do you have to wait for it to actually happen on the desktop?

3) If you have handwriting recogition turned on, on the desktop, can you use that from your pda to actually type on the desktop? Again, does it take so long to happen that it's not worth it, or is it real-time fast?

4) I have Autocad on my home computer. Would I be able to work on Autocad drafting usefully from my pda?

5) I'm trying to decide between the Verizon 6600 or the i730. Would this feature be so small on the i730 that the i730 would be a bad choice, or woulld the picsel explorer be able to enlarge it so the i730 would be best?

Thanks,

1 yes

2 depends on the other persons connection speed, ive never used it over dialup, but, every dsl, cable, and t1 conection ive used is almost as fast as sitting there.

3 never tried, give it a shot and let me know, i have handwriting disabled on my pda.

4 do you REALLY want to use a tiny screen to do autocad? with a pda, you can soom in and out or view it real size and scroll through the screen

5 again, i dunno, go to a verizion store and try the i730. i have NO trouble on my 6600 with it at all, as long as my torrents are turned off at home that is

Originally posted by maybetreo
    I just went to their site and it says $69.95 /yr ??? Isn't that "Paysoftware" ?
    True but even if you decide to pay for logmein's "Pro" or "IT Reach" offering, it is a heck of a lot less than paying for gotomypc:

1-PC Annual Plan $179.40/yr.

I guess they have to pay for all of their radio advertising.

gotomypc doesn't offer a "lite" offering for free.
    iPhone 4S BB8830/Treo700wx/Treo700w/ XV6600/Treo600/Kyo7135

To Sevarious

This is sounding even better.

2) This is great. I have the slower $25 Cox cable
    (with 256 speed up & down) vs the faster $40 Cox (500 up & 5000 down), and I would probably get Verizon evdo on the pda. I guess that would match the speeds pretty well. I had no idea the Logmein program & others could make the pc react that fast. Do you think I would need the faster Cox?

3) The handwriting recognition that's a part of Microsoft Office 2003 is much better than the standard one on the pda. I think it's probably like the one in the Tablet PC, though not quite as good. I've only played with it with the mouse. It could easily read the horrible writing I created with the mouse. If I could write in it directly through the pda to my pc, hopefully it would be like having a small tablet pc, with all the capbilities of my Dell XPS pc. That's an really exciting idea. Does it sound like I'm on the right wavelength?

4) You're right, it would probably be good for only doing minor editing, and zooming around drawings.

....but wait, I thought you couldn't zoom around in windows mobile internet on the 6600. At least, not without a difficult menu change. Does Logmein's program have an easy and fast way to do it(zoom), or is that reserved only for the Picsel browser?

It would seem that if this works like we're talking about(with fast zoom also), it would be much easier and more readable through the larger screen of the 6600, rather than the small screen of the i730? Am I correct there?
    Last edited by Mike Reilly; 12-18-2005 at 01:58 AM.

no u wouldnt need it

yes

and yes, its the software from logmein, it also goes fullscreen automaticly. it just has a small toolbar that lets you change from left or right click, resolution, and zoom

Originally posted by Beryl
    True but even if you decide to pay for logmein's "Pro" or "IT Reach" offering, it is a heck of a lot less than paying for gotomypc:

1-PC Annual Plan $179.40/yr.

They have a special price for Sprint customers, which comes out to around $9 a month.

I had logmein working perfectly on my Treo 700w. I tried to log in and now it doesn't work. It looks like it does not start the control panel. I called logmein support, but they do not have a wm5 device to simulate. Any ideas?

hec
    Is there any reason for using either of these intermediary services over the PPC's built-in Terminal Services client along with XP's Remote Desktop feature? I checked their FAQ and couldn't find any advantage, other than supporting older versions of Windows, for which you can use a VNC client instead.

Either way, I prefer connecting straight to my PC, rather than involving some other company which may or may not be reliable/trustworthy. And although my router gets IPs dynanically (which happens rarely), I use IP Monitor to track its address and SMS it to my PPC if it changes.

-Hec

Will this work to allow me to ActiveSync from anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by zhzaen
    I had logmein working perfectly on my Treo 700w. I tried to log in and now it doesn't work. It looks like it does not start the control panel. I called logmein support, but they do not have a wm5 device to simulate. Any ideas?
    I've had occasional problems like that with Logmein. Try emptying your history and relaunching the browser. That does the job on my xv6600.

Quote Originally Posted by hec
    Is there any reason for using either of these intermediary services over the PPC's built-in Terminal Services client along with XP's Remote Desktop feature?
    Yes. These services are all about offering NAT punching, which means your server computer can be behind a firewall, personal or corporate, and you will still be able to control it from the internet, without having to touch or configure the router. You can remotely administer clients who wander out to foreign networks. It's really cool. The success rate is pretty good, about 95% in my experience.

Plus, LMI does screen scaling, which Terminal Services on a PPC does not. Some VNC clients do, however.

Quote Originally Posted by smv1978
    Will this work to allow me to ActiveSync from anywhere?
    No. Think of this as a more glorified Remote Desktop. You can see, but not connect network-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRaven
    I've had occasional problems like that with Logmein. Try emptying your history and relaunching the browser. That does the job on my xv6600.

Thanks for the help. I tried deleting cache, history and cookies the soft rest, but still the same thing. I do not get the "start remote session" link. I evenb tried opera and netfront. Same things happens on those browswer too. any ideas?

http://www.avvenu.com/pocketgear/

I'm thinking about trying this one. It was advertised at pocketgear.
    Has anyone tried it yet. If not and I decide to, I'll let you know.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G