+ Reply to Thread

Angry How can I stop Wireless Sync from loading?

I've recently upgraded from my Samsung i700 to the XV6600

Since Wireless Sync says that it only copies from the server to the PPC, and wipes out any new entries on the PPC, I've decided to stick with using the cradle and doing a normal Active Sync, since I make as many Outlook entries directly onto the handheld as I do onto the desktop, and I count on them being copied to the desktop.

To kill Wireless Synch, I took the link file that starts Wireless Synch out of the Startup folder, but I still find it managing to get started without my permission, and trying to start a wireless sync.

I haven't configured anything for it on either the handheld or the desktop, so I suppose nothing bad could happen, but I resent it tying up memory and processor cycles, and trying to do its thing.

How can I keep it from starting, short of finding its real executable and deleting that?

My task managers don't show it on the list of programs so I could stop it, but it's clearly visible on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The only way I know to shut it down is to do a soft reset, but that gets old quickly.

Help!

So far, so good. I went spelunking through Wireless Sync's many menus, and found an item checked (and greyed-out) that authorized its being launched whenever the phone was cradled. It was not a check-mark I could clear, however, since it was under an item that itself was not checked. So I checked the higher-level item, which enabled me to clear the inacessible checkmark, and then I unchecked the higher-level checkmark as well.

I also found that the checkboxes for what to synch - which I had cleared, one and all - were once again all checked, so I cleared them all again, and then closed WS the brute force way by doing a soft resetl

It hasn't come back yet, even though the phone is in its cradle and synched.

Whew! (I hope!)
    Last edited by PROlenick; 12-19-2005 at 08:46 PM.

msi
    >>It was not a check-mark I could clear, however, since it was under an item that itself was not checked. So I checked the higher-level item, which enabled me to clear the inacessible checkmark, and then I unchecked the higher-level checkmark as well.

How did you get to the 'higher-level item'? I too am trying to stop the wireless sync on my xv6600 each time I start up?

Thanks

The only way I could get it to stop loading was to just remove it.

If you're never gonna use it:
    Start --> Settings --> System --> Remove Programs --> Wireless Sync
    Last edited by mlr69; 12-20-2005 at 02:27 PM.
    Verizon XV6700 - Sony HBH660 - Globalsat BT338 GPS - AData 2GB miniSD - Parrot CK3100.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar

Re: How can I stop Wireless Sync from loading?

I see that you've managed to stop it, but I think you might have some misconceptions about WirelessSync.

Originally posted by PROlenick
    I've recently upgraded from my Samsung i700 to the XV6600

Since Wireless Sync says that it only copies from the server to the PPC, and wipes out any new entries on the PPC, I've decided to stick with using the cradle and doing a normal Active Sync, since I make as many Outlook entries directly onto the handheld as I do onto the desktop, and I count on them being copied to the desktop.
    I think you can set WirelessSync to wipe out everything on your PPC when you start (or you can choose to merge items - it's been a while since I reset, so don't quote me there) but WirelessSync doesn't have to wipe your PPC everytime you sync. It's a two-way street. You can use WirelessSync to update items on your PPC -OR- or your PC. I compose new mails, events, notes on my XV6600 all the time, and they are synched back up with my PC. If I'm booted up with Outlook and A/S running, I get the updates in a couple of minutes. If not, I'm set to push to the server and it synches up the next time I boot up my laptop with network access.

Maybe I read your post wrong, but you seemed to imply that A/S was a one-way street from the PC to the PPC. It isn't so.

I thought so too.

I had assumed that it would be a two-way street, but the message on the main screen of Wireless Synch seemed pretty unequivocal:

"Email Accelerator
    Note that your Calendar on this
    device
    will be erased and replaced with
    data
    from your mail server."

The above text, complete with misplaced line breaks, appears in *red*

I wasn't about to disbelieve it.

PS The damn thing just reappeared! Apparently, whenever I do a hard reset and restore I've got to go through the same rigamarole to keep it down.

AAARGH!

I had taken out the shortcut that starts it with the machine, and all my edits were in place, so I don't know why it came up when I cradled the machine.

Anyone have any more ideas on killing this thing?!?

Re: AAARGH!

Did the "Remove Programs" option not work?
    Verizon XV6700 - Sony HBH660 - Globalsat BT338 GPS - AData 2GB miniSD - Parrot CK3100.

Is that the "Sync Client" entry?

The only program on the Remove Programs list that might be the wireless sync program is a poker-faced entry "Sync Client."

Is that the Wireless Sync program or is it part of Active Sync or something else which I might need?

If you know for sure that's what it is, I'll try deleting it. At least I have a good Sprite backup of the whole device.

wireless sync must be something only on verizon phones.

Though that sounds familiar, I don't remember and I can't look it up because I've already removed mine. Maybe someone can look on theirs that hasn't removed it and confirm.

Yes. the 'Sync Client' is VZW's Wireless Sync. You can't uninstall Active Sync.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter