+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy Crashing when 6600 battery below 65%

If the battery in my 6600 gets down to 65% or so, it will crash if I try to wirelessly surf websites (particularly discussion forums like this one). The screen suddenly goes dark/blurry and I have to push the power button, after which it soft-resets.

That's when my screen is set to 100% brightness. Lowering the brightness of the screen will forestall it, but only for a while... for example, setting the screen to 40% brightness will keep it from crashing until the battery gets down to 50% or so -- again when trying to download certain websites.

So, it would seem to be a power issue... the total draw of the screen, the wireless connection, combined with what I suspect is having to allocate large amounts of memory quickly. Either it is a circuitry problem with my PDA, or... more likely in my opinion, it is the battery being unable to deliver the required power and crashing the device.

Has anyone seen this sort of problem before? I'm really hoping it is the battery... at least that would be an excuse to buy a higher capacity battery... I LOVE my 6600!

sounds like a bad battery to me. you can get a new OEM battery from ebay for only $10 or work w/ sprint on getting the issue resolved. There are many threads on battery issues, try searching them out.
    I just bought a 2400mAh ($24) and a 3550mAh ($60) from Ebay.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

This is happening to me too, but not at 65%, more like under 45% or so, and it's mostly when I'm trying to use the phone, I'll go to call and it'll either go dark and hitting power results in a soft reset, or do the same thing when I'm in a call for a minute or two. This is new behavior for this phone and I'm not happy about it!
    Tom

Same thing started happening to me last night. I was at 26% and the problem went away when I attached to external power. Maybe it's my battery... Need to read up on that exchange policy over at LionBattery.

Converged
    Same thing was happening to me. Tried the Lion Battery (2400 mah) and the OEM. Didn't fix it. Verizon sent me a new phone.
    Cigular 8125

I have had the same problem. Came here looking for an answer. I have 2 OEM batteries. I was getting regular powerdowns/soft resets at 22% on both batteries. I had Verizon replace the phone. I now get powerdowns/soft resets at 40% on the new phone. Both batteries.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on here?

Any way to adjust the low battery warning level?

i had the same problem, except for me it was 25% when it would crash. I got a badass 2500mAh battery from ebay and problem solved. it was only like $28 too.
    Check out clickclickPOP! for the most breaking pocket pc news. Click. Click. POP!

Contorted
    I have this same problem.

jtollus: I'm amazed you got there phone replaced for this reason. I thought it was just unstable and I needed a hard reset. What did Technical support tell you to try? Hard reset? Did they tell you to get a new battery?

This is a very serious problem that I have been putting off dealing with. My phone just cuts (turns off) out during a data connection (usually when loading a page) and then when I go to turn it back on it soft resets.

Any insight would be great.

verizon tech support told me to install the update on verizon's site. I did that and it didn't help but the new battery killed the problem. I'm not sure if it still happens with the original battery though.
    Check out clickclickPOP! for the most breaking pocket pc news. Click. Click. POP!

i myself havnt run into this problem but may i offer a few suggestiin. First n foremost, it does sound like a battery problem. How long have you been using the particular battery youve got? Id suggest trying to run the battery down to around 10% then fully carging it. Try this atleast once, possibly twice. I would also like to suggest going into your settings-screen and adjusting it so that your screen doesnt dim at a certain interval on battery power. I dont know but, this may be your dimming problem. To drain your battery set your brightness to 100% turn your screen light always on n run some audio or video. After a 10% drain and full recharge (once atleast possibly twice) your battery indicator may not be registering the battery correctly. Let me kno how things go. Best of luck to you.
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

I'm sorry, another culpret could be your low battery indicator. What is yours set at? Once your battery has reached the % youve set it for, the unit will automaticaly shut down so not to kill the battery. Lemme kno how it goes. Best of luck.
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

Happens on my lion battery

This happens on my lion 2400 at 30% but not any of my OEMs

How does one change the low battery threshold? Mine is set at 22% and there doesn't seem to be an intuitively obvious way to lower it to 10%

i'm sorry, i shouldve mention this earlier. =p i downloaded spb pocket tips and tricks from spb. t is utility allows you do do numerous different thing. cone of them as i mentioned above allowing you to configure you low battery warning. ill brb, lemme get the link for you.
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...sandtricks/?en

nifty little thing to have. believe me. =]
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

LOL. Or not so funny - My battery issues pale in comparison to my operational issues. Corporate policy is that I have to run that POS email push program from Good. It won't coexist with anything but the OS and the phone. SPB in particular. Or bluetooth. Or MS Voice Command. Hopefully those patent trolls from NTP will get Goodlink after they're finished with RIM...

I've ordered a 2400mA battery from Lion. We'll see what we'll see...

Merry Christmas everyone!

Converged
    Sorry, been away for a while. My new phone has continued with the same problem. Soft resets when the phone hits a certain threshold. The level with the Lion 2400 battery seems to be around 32%, but not always exactly the same. With the OEM it seems to occur around 40%.

What software is everyone running? I'm wondering if it could be something we're all running that is causing the issue.

I did hard reset my original phone, but continued to have issues, though I rebuilt it after resetting.

I'm running:
    Phone Alarm
    WisBar
    Marsware WeatherPanel
    GoodLink
    Last edited by jtollus; 01-05-2006 at 10:52 AM.
    Cigular 8125

Have you tried running the battery down to about 10%-15% and then fully charging it in the cradle via the USB only (not using the power cord). this is a slower charge and many argue that a slow charge can help a troubled battery out.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Converged
    I would like to run it down and test it, I have two questions though.

Once the phone hits this bug, it turns off. When I turn it on, it comes up as though it were soft reset and stays on for a few minutes - at best - then shuts off. Then repeat the process when I press power. I can't really drain it without a bunch of resets.

It is also happening with the OEM battery, which I don't use, but tested to see if it was a battery issue. Is it possible that the OEM battery would go bad without being used?
    Cigular 8125

My understanding is that the 6600 and the batteries need to sync w/ each other, which is why you may be getting the shut offs and hard resets. best thing to do is to put a video on your storage card and just keep playing it in full screen to run it down as fast as you can. Perhaps while on a website that reloads constatnly to keep your data connection live too.