+ Reply to Thread

What's the best 2400mAh battery?

Yes, I've done searches on this...

Basically my stock 6600 battery seems to be defective... but, the stock battery was never enough for me anyway, so I'm not too upset about that... I just want to get the RIGHT battery to replace it.

The 3550's have the "humpback" design that I don't really care for... while the 2400's seem to be the same thickness as the upper part of the 6600 and just don't immediately taper to a thinner profile the way the stock battery does... instead they keep the same thickness and taper at the very bottom of the battery, next to the clip. Works for me.

From what I can tell this is the front-runner:

http://www.lionbattery.com/descripti...?noproduit=267

Question: is the company website the best place to buy one? There seem to be various 2400mAh batteries floating around on eBay, but I'm suspicious... I know the v.3's are the one to get, and even then the newer ones seem to be better... so I suspect the eBay units are old stocks that are being dumped on people who think they are getting the same quality for less money... I doubt it.

Here's another one I ran across on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-O2-XDA-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Never read about it around here... makes me suspicious...

Anyways, the upshot of this is, I want something that is in the 2400mAh capacity, and I want it to be the BEST QUALITY unit with no crashes, no problems fitting in the PDA, you get the idea. I want to know where I can buy it, where I'll get the quality I think I'm getting. And of course I want the best deal possible. But, I don't want to save $5 or $10 and get a unit that has annoying problems.

If you want great service then go ahead and get your batteries from LionBattery. if you have searched the threads here you would know the name "Mark" by now and how often he gives great service from that company. I just bought 2 batteries from ebay for a fraction of the cost but if anything goes wrong w/ the batteries then I'm pretty much on my own. I consider myself a power user so if anything does go wrong I should be able to figure it out and I will have a couple other batteries anyway. I have the OEM that came w/ the phone, the 2400 and the 3550.

My 3550
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4722%26fvi%3D1

My 2400
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5154%26fvi%3D1

I am in no way recomending getting batteries from ebay, and my heart skips a beat everytime I get tech from ebay, but the savings (during this holiday season) made a difference instead of getting them from lionbattery which is where I will probably buy my batteries from in the future from now on. (if it's not penny pinching holiday buy presents for everyone in the world and there momma time)
    Last edited by amirmckelvey; 12-19-2005 at 10:57 PM.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!

Re: What's the best 2400mAh battery?

If you've done the searches on this, in this forum, then you already know the answer to the question. It's a 50/50 proposition with Mugen. The quality control lacks consistency that effects fit-and-finish and, therefore, performance and your search would show this. With all due respect to Mark, quickly shipping you a battery (replacement or not) which has a fair shot at failing within a few months isn't necessarily a good thing. Then again, the only other alternatives are PPC Techs and the eBayers. PPC Techs has an excellent reputation for quality as well as customer service, and I've experienced the same with their work.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/main~un...DA-LIBAT04.htm

Originally posted by HTC Rules
    Yes, I've done searches on this...

Anyways, the upshot of this is, I want something that is in the 2400mAh capacity, and I want it to be the BEST QUALITY unit with no crashes, no problems fitting in the PDA, you get the idea.

at Pocketpctechs the 2400 is $89 when lionbattery it's $72.95, both w/ great service and all that while ebay is $23.95 w/ no service.

So, depends on where you keep your courage.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

And on the topic of power, something like this for $16.25 is probably a great idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4in1-Sync-Power-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quality must come first regarding power supply.

Thanks for repeating the obvious. Good job!

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    at Pocketpctechs the 2400 is $89 when lionbattery it's $72.95, both w/ great service and all that while ebay is $23.95 w/ no service.

Re: Re: What's the best 2400mAh battery?

Originally posted by br549
    If you've done the searches on this, in this forum, then you already know the answer to the question. It's a 50/50 proposition with Mugen. The quality control lacks consistency that effects fit-and-finish and, therefore, performance and your search would show this. With all due respect to Mark, quickly shipping you a battery (replacement or not) which has a fair shot at failing within a few months isn't necessarily a good thing. Then again, the only other alternatives are PPC Techs and the eBayers. PPC Techs has an excellent reputation for quality as well as customer service, and I've experienced the same with their work.
    Yes I have done searches, but they don't reflect your summary. What I read was that the later v.3's fit better than the early ones -- hence my concern about what you really get on eBay. This is also why I raised this as a new thread... the recurring theme on the Mugen units was the quality being in flux (for the better fortunately)... I wanted to get people's CURRENT assessment, given that.

I have read both pro and con regarding PPC Techs quality and customer service. Your "answer" is not the same as what I've found in searches.

"Mark", on the other hand, gets universal praise...

I am, however, completely new to PDA batteries and I only know what I've read on a bunch of threads here I found from searching... I knew nothing about this yesterday... but since my current battery is having more and more trouble, I need to make a decision soon. That's why I'm asking for people with actual depth on the subject to tell me if I've missed something.

Re: Re: Re: What's the best 2400mAh battery?

More recent reports of the v.3 Mugen batteries show some developing a more loose fit over time, which lends toward less consistent contact, which can lead to hard resets, if unnoticed within your 20-minute-max backup battery window. The more flexible plastic shell Mugen incorporates does not meet the same rigidity standard as the OEM. There have also been reports of v.3 battery cells which have died after a period of time. As an aside, LionBattery was purely an eBayer (and still sells there) until about a year ago, so ask them how they warranted their batteries while purely an eBayer to compare apples-to-apples.

As to PPC Techs, you may want to PM Convergent about them if you want the most direct perspective.

You, as the customer, must define what value you find in any vendor who quickly and conveniently supplies you with a product which may or may not stand the test of time. We ***** and moan about Sprint and Verizon stores and CSR's over something which costs hundreds, so let's keep it a level playing field, shall we?

Yes I have done searches, but they don't reflect your summary. What I read was that the later v.3's fit better than the early ones -- hence my concern about what you really get on eBay. This is also why I raised this as a new thread... the recurring theme on the Mugen units was the quality being in flux (for the better fortunately)... I wanted to get people's CURRENT assessment, given that.

I have read both pro and con regarding PPC Techs quality and customer service. Your "answer" is not the same as what I've found in searches.

"Mark", on the other hand, gets universal praise...

OK, well the flexing Mugen cases is an example of the sort of thing I want to know about...

The QUESTION then becomes: what is the best product, then, and why?

Unfortunately, you'll find as many definitions for 'best' as there are products on the market. 'Best' is highly subjective to what happens to function well for the user. Many will say, and have said, that the Mugens are great because they've not experienced the problems that others have reported about. Having manufactured (non-tech) product before, in my estimation, this is emblematic of how spotty their QC is. My experience with them was less than desireable but still a bit better than some and worse than others.

As long as I never battery-swap my Mugen, I've realized, and it does not become any more loose than it already is, I'm relatively safe. Swapping OEM batteries was not problematic for me, but others have had different experiences.

These days, if I were approaching this for the first time, I'd pluck down the extra $10-15 for 2 of the PPC Techs battery and be done with it. You're covered by warranty and the knowledge that their battery has been tested with the 6600 specifically for fit/finish/function. Or, you can simply go cheap on FleaBay.

OK, well the flexing Mugen cases is an example of the sort of thing I want to know about...

The QUESTION then becomes: what is the best product, then, and why?
    Last edited by br549; 12-21-2005 at 11:57 AM.

i've had a ppc techs battery for a couple months now, and it works pretty good.. haven't had a single complaint yet
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE
    HA01_151 IS-683A+1xEV converted 10029 (with no EV entries :( )

I will weigh in on this one as I own two of the MUGEN v3s and one of the ebay 2400's. Battery life seems about the same between them.

MUGEN:
    Pro - Batteries fit in standard cradle so can charge one on pda and one in spare battery slot at the same time.
    Con - One of the MUGENS has noticeable flex on back plastic covering (like it is loose) and moves around slightly when attached to PDA. The other one is fine. This does speak to a variability issue which might make one a bit nervous as far as quality control is concerned

Ebay (other brand):
    Pro - solid and does not move around when attached to pda.
    Con - Does not fit in cradle.