+ Reply to Thread
    Striving for Understanding novuslotus's Avatar

Argh - BBC kills PIE!!! Why???

This is (fortunately) my first real episode of true weirdness with my XV6600 . . . I was trying to get onto the BBC world service website to try and stream their news audio, like I've done time and time again in the past, but for some reason, it wouldn't load. Not only would it not load, it also killed the web browser . . . I checked in the "running programs" and PIE was no longer running. I've gone to other websites and those load apparently fine without glitching it up. Soft reset won't work, disconnecting and reconnecting won't work.

Has anyone had any problems with certain websites on their PPC? And why would this just suddenly start happening now, after the website has loaded fine every time previously?

have you tried using thunderhawk? 30 day free trial.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

BBC World Service is linking and playing flawlessly as usual with PIE and Media Player 10 on my 6600.

Might be something you installed or altered recently that's causing the problem.

Have you tried emptying your cookies and your browser cache?

Hi Tech Trader
    I used to have this problem with PCSintel, the only thing that worked was a hard reset, and clean install of my apps (no sprite restore).

I've run into this problem with a variety of websites, including this one. For me, what usually works is to empty the windows/profiles/guest/cookies folder, and the PIE cache and history. In addition, I empty the Netfront cookies, cache, and history. Then, I soft reset, and things generally start working again.
    Doubleclick and similar cookies seem to be especially good at killing my internet connection until I delete them.
    An annoyance, but the price to be paid for free websites.
    Mick

Hey guys - thanks for the ideas!

Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far . . . I tried the cookies and cache deletion, and still had BBC closing down PIE, and then did a hard reset and ended up with the same phenomenon happening after that. (for the life of me, I can't understand why on earth it would be doing this though) Short of installing another browser, I'm stymied.

Seems that most other websites I've tried work, however. Maybe I'll take it in to the shop and see what they have to say . . . (though they seem to usually know less about their phones than we do)

So - stopped by the Verizon store, they told me to call the PDA Support people . . .

. . . called the PDA Support people who talked to me for about 45 minutes . . .

. . . they contacted the Audiovox people who told me I needed the latest update for their XV6600 software . . .

. . . downloaded the software . . .

. . . and guess what?

I STILL can't get to the BBC world service website. What on earth is going on?!? I feel like I'm in China and my news is being blocked.

Anyway, I guess that means I'm spending the next couple of hours with PDA Support . . . I'll post any updates . . .

So - after much conversation with Verizon and Audiovox, we came to the solution that . . . BBC doesn't work on PIE anymore.

Apparently, some websites are updating and for various reasons can no longer be viewed with PIE, so those of us BBC junkies who use the XV will have to download a third-party browser to get to the site from here on out. The Audiovox guy also seemed to suggest that this might happen with more and more websites as time goes on . . . c'est la vie . . .

Thanks all for the suggestions!

If the site at issue is http://news.bbc.co.uk/ it works fine on my Sprint 6601, using PIE as enhanced with PoDKET pLUS. Links work and streams launch in RealPlayer. I copied and pasted the above link in PIE.
    Perhaps the problem is with Verizon???
    Mick

I've been listening to the BBC World Service on my XV6600 every night this week as usual. No problem whatsoever.

I use this bookmark: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netwo...wmp.shtml?9all

-- with PIE as the browser --

... and click on the link that says: "Listen using stand-alone Windows Media Player."
    Honest, it works fine.

I've been listening to the BBC World Service on my XV6600 every night this week as usual. No problem whatsoever.

I use this bookmark: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/netw.../wmp.shtml?9all

-- with PIE as the browser --

... and click on the link that says: "Listen using stand-alone Windows Media Player."
    Honest, it works fine.
    SeaRaven - thanks! I just plugged that website into PIE and it seems to work fine - listening to the BBC world service with no problems. And now I won't have to pay for Thunderhawk (though I have to admit that I'm impressed with that browser, thanks for the ref, amirmckelvey)

I still have no idea why PIE and the normal news.bbc.co.uk website don't seem to jive on my device though. All I know is that neither Verizon or Audiovox, after hours of putting their heads together, have any idea what they're doing. Mick, you're probably right with this being either a Verizon related problem or just something that's really specific to my device . . . who knows . . . anyway, it's all good now!

BBC now saved in thunderhawk. I find it hard to get around in PIE now that I have been using thunderhawk full time now. You guys should really try that free 30day trial for it, as the cost is only $5 a month if you like it and it is well worth it in my opinion for the amount of web browsing I do. and pdaphonehome.com shows up great on thunderhawk!!!
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png