+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823

    Service Forwarding OWA emails?

    I have a co-worker that has a BB....I think with Cin or VZ........that will automatically log into his corp email account through OWA (the online Outlook access point) and then forward all emails to his BB.

    I am using Sprint. Is there ANY 3rd party service that anyone knows about that can do this for PPC?

    Thank you for any help from a desperate road warrior!
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

  2. #2
    AkA DaPoets amirmckelvey's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-23-2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,191
    I use Outlook at work and when I'm gone I have it automaticly forward my emails to my personal email account which I can check w/ my 6600. That's as far as I chose to go w/ it.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

  3. #3
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145

    Re: Service Forwarding OWA emails?

    Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have a co-worker that has a BB....I think with Cin or VZ........that will automatically log into his corp email account through OWA (the online Outlook access point) and then forward all emails to his BB.

    I am using Sprint. Is there ANY 3rd party service that anyone knows about that can do this for PPC?

    Thank you for any help from a desperate road warrior!
    If you have OWA, there is a big posibility you should be able to configure ActiveSync on your mobile device to get your email.

    You do this by going into configure server in ActiveSync

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-22-2004
    Location
    N. NJ
    Posts
    904
    If you have OWA, there is also a big possibility you should be able to set up a Rule to forward your office email to the email account configured on your PPC (provided you can't / don't want to do the ActiveSync thing...). No additional software needed.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

  5. #5
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823

    Re: Re: Service Forwarding OWA emails?

    Originally posted by hodula1
    If you have OWA, there is a big posibility you should be able to configure ActiveSync on your mobile device to get your email.

    You do this by going into configure server in ActiveSync
    I tried but I get a message saying I do not have the credentionals.

    Originally posted by lmychajluk
    If you have OWA, there is also a big possibility you should be able to set up a Rule to forward your office email to the email account configured on your PPC
    I would love to but our wonderful IT dept has disabled Server rules so I have to have laptop (which is often by my side) connected for that work as a Client based rule.

    I know there are third party solutions that do it for BB devices and I think Dataviz does it for Palm.....I just need the same solution for my PPC.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

  6. #6
    Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    198
    Is the rule thing a post-Exchange 2000 feature? We're running Exchange 2000, which (from all I've read) rules out of the ActiveSync server option for me. I've thought about using rules to forward messages to another box, but can't find a way to do it thru OWA. I can set up rules on my laptop in Outlook 2003, but they're client-only rules. To get them to run, I have to have Outlook running on my PC, and if I do that, I might as well use WirelessSync.

    I would love it if there were another way to monitor my email using OWA and forward them. I have desktops at home I could use to run a service like this. I can't use WirelessSync on those machines due to VPN issues (my VPN is token-based, and I tend to lose connections after 4-5 hours.)

    I've looked at some of the BlackBerry stuff (Goodlink), but it all seems a) expensive, and b) to rely on the IT department. Mine seems as trusting/customer service oriented/security conscious as Hobbes'.
    Last edited by EnnuiEnthusiast; 12-22-2005 at 01:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-10-2005
    Posts
    262
    you need to go to Exchange 2003, 2000 is antiquated.

  8. #8
    Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    198
    Yes, but until I'm appointed CIO of $6+ B/yr company, it's not likely that I'll be able to affect an upgrade. In the meantime, I'm looking for a workaround.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-22-2004
    Location
    N. NJ
    Posts
    904
    Exchange2000 would require MS Mobile Information Server as an 'add-on' install to enable Server syncing w/ ActiveSync.

    Exchange2000 did have Server-side rules (if I remember right), but you couldn't configure them through Outlook Web Access. You had to do it through desktop Outlook.

    The BlackBerry and Goodlink stuff is all add-on for the Server side, so I don't think you can use it, since you're looking to do an end-run around the IT guys.

    I've never heard of a service that can grab the mail via OWA, but is there a POP server available for your corporate server?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

  10. #10
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145

    Re: Re: Re: Service Forwarding OWA emails?

    Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    I tried but I get a message saying I do not have the credentionals.

    What message are you getting? You might just need to install your company's certificate on your PDA.

  11. #11
    Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    198
    Thanks, lmychajluk. I'm guessing that we've disabled server-side rules. I'll poke around and see if they're interested in enabling MS Mobile Information Server, but...

    In theory, it wouldn't be too hard to build a custom program to read OWA and deliver the contents of emails to another address. In theory.... I did something similar a few years back that parsed raw HTML to navigate through a series of web pages and make decisions based on the (presumed) current state of another machine.

    In practice, this would consume far more time than I can spare at the moment. I'd also have to find some way of polling the device to see what was on it. Hmmm... maybe I could try to compare mails between OWA and WirelessSync with a suitable delay to prevent duplication??? Still, I'm not sure how I'd prevent the originals being sent over to WS in that scenario. Gotta think about this some more.

  12. #12
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145
    Originally posted by EnnuiEnthusiast
    Is the rule thing a post-Exchange 2000 feature? We're running Exchange 2000, which (from all I've read) rules out of the ActiveSync server option for me. I've thought about using rules to forward messages to another box, but can't find a way to do it thru OWA. I can set up rules on my laptop in Outlook 2003, but they're client-only rules. To get them to run, I have to have Outlook running on my PC, and if I do that, I might as well use WirelessSync.

    I would love it if there were another way to monitor my email using OWA and forward them. I have desktops at home I could use to run a service like this. I can't use WirelessSync on those machines due to VPN issues (my VPN is token-based, and I tend to lose connections after 4-5 hours.)

    I've looked at some of the BlackBerry stuff (Goodlink), but it all seems a) expensive, and b) to rely on the IT department. Mine seems as trusting/customer service oriented/security conscious as Hobbes'.
    You can try using MrPostman (http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/).

  13. #13
    Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    198
    Originally posted by hodula1
    You can try using MrPostman (http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/).
    Thanks. I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow AM, so I'll probably try when I get back.

  14. #14
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823
    Originally posted by hodula1
    You can try using MrPostman (http://mrpostman.sourceforge.net/).
    THANK YOU!!!!!

    That did it.

    I set it up on my home computer. Set up a rule to move all emails from that account to a work folder. And set up a second rule to forward all emails from that account to a personal Comcast POP account dedicated to work emails set up on my PDA.

    Without a word to IT, I know have corp email access on my PPC!!!!!!! With my work and how much I have to travel, you don't realize how much you have just effected my life in a truly positive way.....Thank you for the early Christmas Present....BTW, did I mention that I excited that it works????
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

  15. #15
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145
    Hey, glad it works for you. I used to use it also until my company set up OMA (after kicking, scratching and a couple of emails to the IT director).

    Also works well for Yahoo and Hotmail.

  16. #16
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823
    Now I just have to get Norton Internet Security to play nice. It generates an encrypted email error that Symantec says they are working on fixing.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

  17. #17
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145
    Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    THANK YOU!!!!!

    That did it.

    I set it up on my home computer. Set up a rule to move all emails from that account to a work folder. And set up a second rule to forward all emails from that account to a personal Comcast POP account dedicated to work emails set up on my PDA.

    Without a word to IT, I know have corp email access on my PPC!!!!!!! With my work and how much I have to travel, you don't realize how much you have just effected my life in a truly positive way.....Thank you for the early Christmas Present....BTW, did I mention that I excited that it works????
    I am confused as to why you had to set up email forwarding?

    You shouldn't have to set up any rules to forward emails from work email. You should have direct POP3 access using Mr Postman.

  18. #18
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823
    Because I need an email client to pull the emails. Mr Postman will not install and run directly onto the PPC. So my desktop is acting as the middle man and pulling the emails and then forwarding them to a POP 3 account that my PPC is set up to access.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

  19. #19
    Registered User hodula1's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-10-2005
    Posts
    145
    Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    Because I need an email client to pull the emails. Mr Postman will not install and run directly onto the PPC. So my desktop is acting as the middle man and pulling the emails and then forwarding them to a POP 3 account that my PPC is set up to access.
    Oh okay. Your PPC is pulling directly from the computer you installed Mr. Postman on. I thought you were forwarding from that computer to another POP3 account and then having your PPC pull from the account

  20. #20
    Registered User HobbesIsReal's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-23-2004
    Location
    Washington, The State
    Posts
    823
    Originally posted by hodula1
    Oh okay. Your PPC is pulling directly from the computer you installed Mr. Postman on. I thought you were forwarding from that computer to another POP3 account and then having your PPC pull from the account
    No...my corp emails are on the corp OWA website, which my PPC cannot access. My desktop at home runs Mr Postman so that it can download all the emails on the OWA site to my desktop. My desktop then forwards the emails to a POP3 account that my PPC phone can access. I have the PPC set with the return address listed as my corp email address so all of this is invisible to the other person I am emailing back and forth with while on the road.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts