+ Reply to Thread

Stupid canadian

i guess i asked the question the wrong way,
    i search and read the threads and didnt totally understand them...
    so
    can i upgrade the 6600 to wm5 without reprogramming etc me phone and taking the chance of creating a paper weight. if so if you could point my uninlightened brain in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

also for the hardware upgrade should i use the verizon or the sprint one (they appear to be different). how do i find out which one i have and which one i need?

Re: Stupid canadian

Originally posted by hoju

Q1 -- can i upgrade the 6600 to wm5 without reprogramming etc me phone and taking the chance of creating a paper weight. if so if you could point my uninlightened brain in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it.

Q2 -- also for the hardware upgrade should i use the verizon or the sprint one (they appear to be different). how do i find out which one i have and which one i need?
    Q1 -- No can't be done at all.

Q2 -- Check your model number. ppc6600 = Sprint xv6600 = VZW
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

where is the model number??

Look under the battery...
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

If you glance up a few links, youll notice the forum 'Bounty for wm5' There are many people, hard at work trying to make our wm5 fantasies a reality.
    Last edited by Marty; 12-25-2005 at 10:01 PM.
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    1. WM5 WILL run on the harrier (the proof of this is it 'runs' on the Blueangel the GSM equivalent of the nm8harrier)
    2. you will most likely never see an official release of it on your 6600
    3. if someone does figure out a way to make it 'run' on a harrier it will never work 100%. there will always be at least 1 broken feature in the OS (BT bugs, camera bugs, call processing bugs, data bugs, carrier billing bugs if the data isnt implemented correctly, etc, etc) dont beleive me? just look at the massive list of problems with WM5 on the BA (and mamaich doesnt have a 6600 so we'd be -1 guru to fix our problems)
    4. if youve used WM5 for any length of time, you'll see that the grass is not necesarily greener on the other side.
    im not saying WM5 is crap and 2003SE is perfect but i personally find the WM5 interface an overall step in the wrong direction. it has a few good things but IMHO WM5 is 'not the mobile OS you are looking for'

My recommendation is to use the 2.04 rom with its built in 3601 BT stack and WMP10, blow out about 90% of your carrier EXt_rom and add your own apps.
    as for the 'push email' feature of WM5 is concerned, if you actual own a legal exchange 2003 server and have the need for instant notification of "V1aGrA 0n s/\L3 2DaY 0n|y!!" there a many other solutions available. there are a couple of decent solutions that should work just fine. such as:
    http://www.alwaysonmail.com/
    http://www.good.com/index.php/products_pocketpc.html
    http://bc.sprint.com and http://bcee.sprint.com
    Last edited by Marty; 12-25-2005 at 10:00 PM.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

I've cleaned up this thread, please try to get along.

Originally posted by Marty
    I've cleaned up this thread, please try to get along.
    Thank you
    Verizon xv6600