+ Reply to Thread

Question SkypeIn to WirelessSync?

I'm going on a trip to the Bahamas in a couple of weeks. Found out that there is no CDMA service of any kind there, so my Verizon XV6600 wouldn't be usable as a phone.

I was all set to do one of those cell phone rental deals (at incredibly usurious rates!), when I had a "Duh" moment, and realized that I could just use Skype and the hotel's WiFi connection to make phone calls. Of course, this will neccesitate use of a laptop or the Skype app on my 6600.

Just wondering: Is there any way to "SkypeIn" to Verizon's data network so that I can receive my email on the device? Would be less clunky than carrying my laptop around. Would be almost a "transparent" experience: I'd have all the same functionality as I currently do, just by slightly different methods behind the scenes (phone via Skype, browsing via hotel WiFi, and email by Skyping to the Verizon data network).

Thanks for any help.

Oh man I'm having a mind block... but I was just on either Handago or pocket gear and there was a program for VoIP via Pocket PC. I'm sorry I'm at work and can't think of the name of the app right now... but check those 2 sites for the program.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I know wireless sync can use the activesync http proxy - wonder if it'd work over the regular wifi network.

You would not be able to SkypeIn the way you're thinking - the connection to the data network isn't really a modem. And would be an extra step if you have the WiFi available. just use WiFi to do it. The test would be if you already have the wifi card for the 6600, connect via wifi and see if you can wireless sync. You probably wouldn't get push email, but you should be able to pull updates, from my understanding of how WS works.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

You were right, Ian. Sort of another brain-lock on my part...I can just WirelessSync via WiFi (I have the new Socket WiFi card). Outgoing and incoming mail both work. Thanks.

Amir--PocketGear has something called "Wifive323 Phone for Windows Mobile v1.0.00". It appears to be abandon-ware at this point. Program was last updated Feb 13, 2004, and when I clicked the link to go directly to the developer's website, I got an "Operation timed out" message from Firefox.

Handango has several VoIP apps, apparently. Best of them probably is the X-Lite SIP softphone--I've used it before on the PC platform, though not on a Pocket PC.

Ultimately, though, I've got my solution: Skype for calls (although I'm sure that X-Lite would have been ok too), and WiFi for my web browsing and emailing needs. Thanks, Ian, sometimes my brain just needs to be kicked out of neutral.

This is sure as heck a better deal than renting a cell phone would have been. That would have cost me something like $150, in addition to ridiculously high airtime rates...would have been well over $1 a minute for outgoing calls, and about 30 cents a minute for incoming.
    Last edited by SteelWheel; 12-23-2005 at 09:20 PM.

I wasn't entirely sure that it would work - I didn't know if Wireless Sync would care about your source IP address; theoretically, they could only accept connections from a Verizon IP address. But that would be silly, considering.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.