+ Reply to Thread

Does anyone here use or like AvantGo....

and why??????
    Verizon xv6600

TOV
    The Entertainment Industry Chaplain TOV's Avatar
    i tried it recently, but decided it wasn't worth it. i can do more and better with netfront and/or thunderhawk.
    TOV - The Entertainment Industry Chaplain

I tried it for a while, but also found that I could do almost everything with less resource use without it. It never seemed to work 100% as it was supposed to, either.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

That was my problem too. Used to like it back in the palm days, but now, sometimes it would act up. So, I unloaded it.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Its useless if you have evdo plan. But if you just use internet offline it has some uses. The movie listings and a few other things work ok. You have to dl the latest version as if you use the one built into IE its horrible.
    xv-6600 pocket plus,world mate, Avantgo.

I have used it for years. I guess I am a bit retro, but I do not have the EVDO plan and it syncs with Activesync. I actually syncs pretty well with 1X.

The main reason I like it is that I have the New York Times and Le Monde on the PDA routinely everyday in a good text-only format for PDA reading. Their other formats are not as good.

I do not think any other pages are worth much.

I have two accounts but something difficult to manage them and keep separate.

PS I used to use ThunderHawk but seemed expensive for what it was.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I've used Avantgo for several years and love it. Every morning I sync about 10 newspapers and have a day's worth of fast and easy reading available.
    I don't use it as an online browser per se, but for downloading headline articles from say the NY Times, ITN, BBC, IHT, etc. I think it's great.

I use it and like it for what it is -- stuff to read when I can't or don't want to fetch stuff online.

I actually prefer the old version that's built-in to IE... keeps things simple, and I use it as the IE homepage.

I'm sure there's better products though... one of these days I'll have to figure out RSS.

Yes, the old IE product was easier to use. I have a dictionary program that automatically translates French into English but only does so on IE pages, not Avantgo.

I think its big advantage is that you get the downloads automatically and they are just there in RAM without connecting and waiting. Syncs work very fast with the latest version (4.1) of Activesync and are not noticed if you are routinely syncing the rest of your mail, appointments and contacts etc..

I used to also get Yahoo this way I think but stopped doing so for some reason... probably because I got another weather program.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I've used Avantgo for the last 3 years and find it convenient to sync at the office before I leave and then when I dine out alone, I run through my list of channels below and pick out several articles and read them. It's a productive way to occupy 20 minutes or so.

AccuWeather.com *
    Business Week Online Handheld Edition *
    CEArchives.com 5k
    CNET News.com *
    DealNews 100k
    eMobie 150k
    Forbes.com *
    Health News Digest 100k
    JiWire Hotspot Locator *
    New York Times 140k
    New York Times - Front Page 70k
    PDABuzz.com 75k
    Reuters - US Edition *
    USATODAY.com 150k
    washingtonpost.com *
    Yahoo! 130k

The channels with asterisks are not included in free account size calculations.

One other interesting channel is the American Airlines Dining Program, if you like to collect miles from restaurants while traveling.

The BBC news is just like what you get over the net, with images.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I used to use and like AvantGo but when they started limiting the channels you could add, I started getting away from it. That and their tool to create your own channels never seemed to work well. RSS news feeds seem to fill the bill pretty well.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Yep, I used it for a while until I discovered RSS. Never went back.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I use it a lot - and have for years. I'm now using it for RSS feeds as well as news and other favorites. I just sync it (directly - not through ActiveSync) about twice a day and read whatever I want when I want. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.