+ Reply to Thread

Ringing in your ears?

I've posted on this before but I thought I would give some update on my experiences.

You know how you can sort of hear when your TV is on? that kind of buzzy ringing? Well, every single 6600 I've had, eventually has this same problem. I can hold the unit up, 2 feet from my ear and hear this buzz/ringing from the LCD. in my first two units, this started to happend after about a month. Well, I got a replacement unit and it started buzzing right away! I talked to the Verizon tech and he said that He's heard of maybe one other case. I find this hard to believe since it's now happened to 3 units I've had?

Anyone else hearing this?

It seems to be the LCD, since it only happens when the LCD is "lit up". I don't know what is causing it.

I asked the verizon guy what I can do to get a different model. He said that they have to send me 3 replacements, before they will change me out to a different phone. I asked him when the 6700 was coming out. He said January, but that I would probably get the Samsumg as a replacement. I'm not too happy about that. But at this point I just want this ringing in my ears to stop.

I was in a Sprint store and put my paws on a 6700. It's pretty neat. yes, I'm the guy who ragged on the unit a couple months ago. I didn't get to use it much, so I can't really say it's superior, though I'm sure it is. At this point, if the lcd doesn't ring, then it's an improvement over the 6600.

So, is anyone else getting this ringing?
    Out of curiousity, did you notice any problems connecting to the data network when the ringing started?

Thanks,
    Matt

Sorry... I am not getting it...
    :butterfly :karate:

DLD

Try a bluetooth wireless headset.

You will be surprised how quickly you become hooked on this. I cannot stand to hold the phone to my ear any more and mine doesn't buzz at all.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I think this subject comes up every now and then...since the 6600/6601 has come out. I've read a wide variety of opinions...some absolutely can not deal with it, others could care less.

I have the XV6600 and can hear the buzzing sound. I also have very sensitive hearing, but despite that, the sound from the LCD never bothers me. I really have to be listening for it to even hear it half of the time. But as mentioned, a BT headset or even a corded headset might be your best bet.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I dont have it. I've had my phone almost a year.

I've never heard such a thing from my phone, but I remember reading somewhere that this was a known issue. Oh. I remember.
    right here
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

This has to due with the LCD resonating/vibrating in conjunction the clock speed of the CPU. If you underclock/overclock your unit you MAY be able to get rid of it.

The reason that it is variable is that the LCD properties change due to many factors; both short term-temperature, etc- and long term, break-in etc.

This is a very annoying problem that is often referred to as "screen whine". Almost every device that I have had suffers from it, although in different degress from unit to unit. The Sony Clie ux40/50 is the worst, while the treo 650 is almost undectable. The tungsten t3 is also atrocious.

-Rob

One of the leser defects but a big issue if you are sensitive to the pitch of this sound.

I went thru four replacements looking for one that didn't have the "BT dies with phone sleep" issue. I don't know if one could try phones in the VZW brick and mortar stores to try to find one without the whine.

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

I am now on my THIRD personal unit in about six weeks. I also bought two units for clients. All five of them started out dead silent and then developed the whine within 2 to 14 days.

It's also likely that almost all of them end up this way. I know that some don't, but I guarantee you a lot of people are reading this right now and thinking theirs is okay, but they just can't hear it. They just don't have the upper frequency hearing we do. (Victims of genetics, target ranges, concerts, loud headphones, etc.)

As someone else pointed out, it is exactly like the sound you get from a television when the sound is off. Put ten people in a room blindfolded and turn the TV on and off. You'll discover that several of them absolutely cannnot hear the whine, even with their ears right up against the TV. My wife can't, but I can hear it from several rooms away.

My second unit got so bad that I couldn't stand to have it turned on, much less right up against my ear. This unit took only two days to start, but so far is not that bad (yet.)

Regarding the cause, I don't know which of the many explanations to believe. I would like to believe that robber is correct. Has anyone tried an over/underclocking app and actually resolved the problem?

If so, please share the details with the rest of us. I would buy that program in a heartbeat. In fact, I would pay $100 on the spot to any developer reading this who could solve the problem through software.

Originally posted by jbbarnes
    I would like to believe that robber is correct.
    I just BS the best-

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81743

warpspeed is the app, palm only- but this proves that software can fix the issue. I have not looked into ppc alternatives but imagine that they are out there...

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    In reality, you're quite transparent.

Originally posted by robber
    I just BS the best-

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Originally posted by jbbarnes
    (Victims of genetics, target ranges, concerts, loud headphones, etc.)

Hmmmm... I can't hear the annoying sound, and you say I'm the victim???