+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A reason why Sprint should re release 6600 with WM5

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/4718.html

I think Sprint could have really stolen Verizon's fire if they had provided an upgrade for the PPC-6600. Looking strictly as specs, the 700w offers nothing signifigant over the 6600 except a 1.3 megapixel camera (big whoop).

If sprint were to issue an EV-DO update along with a WM5 update, they would have a very competitive offering in a similar (i think better) form factor.

Maybe...at least allowing the individual user the choice to upgrade would be nice.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600--> PPC 6600

people would have little reason to pay for the 6700...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    people would have little reason to pay for the 6700...
    Maybe...some people want the smaller form factor, built in wifi, evdo now and a larger keyboard.

Originally posted by t2gungho
    Maybe...some people want the smaller form factor, built in wifi, evdo now and a larger keyboard.
    Wifi and EVDO is kinda overkill unless you are doing stuff specifically for a local network/computer, the screen is mad small compared to the 6600 (which yes SOME people will like) but then the price difference is about $300 so is it worth it then?
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    Wifi and EVDO is kinda overkill unless you are doing stuff specifically for a local network/computer, the screen is mad small compared to the 6600 (which yes SOME people will like) but then the price difference is about $300 so is it worth it then?
    Having the wifi option when you don't have coverage under 1x or EVDO would be nice.

Yes the screen is smaller (but that's relative, especially if you have come from a treo)

Worth $300? Not to me, but if I was buying it through a carrier, then you can get it for around $349 anyway.

well, I personally don't want the stupid nub antenna. especially on the treo when it doesnt even have wifi....how annoying.

i think the public and consequently sprint need to stop thinking of it as taking sales away from the 6700. sprint should concentrate on getting customers by touting choice....not protecting sales.

bottom line is I wouldn't buy a 6700 even if I was a fool with money to burn.

Originally posted by inteller
    well, I personally don't want the stupid nub antenna. especially on the treo when it doesnt even have wifi....how annoying.
    Yeah, this is weird especially because the gsm phones that have wifi don't have an antenna. Maybe it is a CDMA radio issue.

who needs wifi anyways.....I'm going to find a LOT more ev-do coverage than I am free hotspots.

Originally posted by inteller
    who needs wifi anyways.....I'm going to find a LOT more ev-do coverage than I am free hotspots.
    I think this will largely depend upon where you are and where you travel to.

Personally for me, I don't have to have wifi, but at least I have the option with the wifi card.

well yeah....I mean I could get a wifi-card if I wanted the option. EV_DO just makes that option less and less likely.

I agree but I wouldn't mind surfing at home with built in wifi or while I am at school. Plus for some IT 'type' people, being able to log into a network might be useful.

Like I said though, I can get the sd wifi card if I really feel the need. It just would be nice to have it built in.

Hi T2gungho!!!!! Nice to see you over here!

Did you get it yet?
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal

Did you get it yet?
    Another convert to the wonderfully troubled world of WM 2003SE??

Actually, its not that bad if you have this forum to guide you thru the initial foibles.

Welcome aboard,

Bob Duckworth

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal

Did you get it yet?
    Thanks Hobbes...it's all your fault anyway, so I might as well give you your 'props' now.

I get it tomorrow according to my daily tracking of UPS.

Originally posted by rduckwor1
    Another convert to the wonderfully troubled world of WM 2003SE??

Actually, its not that bad if you have this forum to guide you thru the initial foibles.

Welcome aboard,

Bob Duckworth
    Bob - you can't scare me away now...I can't go back.

Actually I started reading all the FAQ's and stickies about a week ago when I made the plunge....so if you see some old threads get bumped...well...it's me.

Originally posted by t2gungho
    Bob - you can't scare me away now...I can't go back.

Actually I started reading all the FAQ's and stickies about a week ago when I made the plunge....so if you see some old threads get bumped...well...it's me.
    Actually, that's a very good idea. I'm keeping up wih the 6700 threads just in case I make the jump.

Everything you will need to know about the 6600 can be found here.

You're in a good place.

Hope you enjoy the change.

Bob

Nobody posted a reminder that Sprint can't legally give or even sell WM5 for the 6600.

EVDO.. sure, there are a dozen threads begging for it. WM5? Won't happen. Microsoft won't let them.

Hi Tech Trader
    Microsoft will, if HTC wants it... look at the ETEN M500 and (soon) Samsung I730.

HTC, however, has stated the will not. Its them not Sprint or M$. But if they did, then it would be up to Sprint to release it (which they probably wouldn't, but no one can say for sure).

Originally posted by rduckwor1
    Actually, that's a very good idea. I'm keeping up wih the 6700 threads just in case I make the jump.

Everything you will need to know about the 6600 can be found here.

You're in a good place.

Hope you enjoy the change.

Bob
    I am ready for a change (I can't imagine going back.) It was a tough choice though between the 6600 and the 6700 though.