+ Reply to Thread

PPC Vent Air Mounts

PPC Friends,

I've noticed with my akron air vent mount that the clips and attach to the air vent fin doesn't fully make contact. Any ideas where I can get a better clamp for this? I prefer not the suction cups because the window is too far ( I own a VW Beetle).

Please advise.

Tvos

Have you checked out ProClip? I've been very happy with the quality and have only gotten positive feedback from recommending them to others.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

can you supply me with a direct link to proclip and the mounts?

pls advise.

tvos

I just started using the Arkon. Its a little difficult to quickly swap it from one car to the other and it feels a little "brittle". Overall, its very convenient and easy to adjust for optimum positioning.

i just need better clips that will fit over the air vent fins or another method. the vw beetle isn't the greatist for accompanying the pocket pc mounts.

tvos

Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Big Calhoun,

I saw exactly the mount that I need for my VW Bettle and XV6600. It deffinitely is a winner IMO and the others I've purchased just makes it feel uneasy when installing to the
    air vent.

Thank You!

Tvos

I got an Arkon vent mount "free" from Semons with my GPS receiver. Tried it and didn't like it -- difficult to install and didn't sit at the correct viewing angle.

Then I bought a suction-cup windshield-mount thingie. That installed easily but was absolutely useless because it went bouncy-bouncy-boing-boing all the time.

So I gave the Arkon another try, but this time I modified it by snipping off pieces of the lower plastic clippy-deal using diagonal wire cutters until it fit my dashboard at the proper angle. It is now acceptable enough that I haven't been motivated to seek a better solution.

(fyi: I tried putting it on the vent to the left of the steering wheel and liked it there a lot until the next rainy day came along and exposed the folly of that position -- couldn't roll down the window or open the door without the PPC getting wet.)

SeaRaven,

I deffinitely suggest you look at: www.proclipusa.com as Big Calhoun suggested. You can deffniitely tell that the product is durable and locks in well. On my VZ beetle the mount slips over a handle and presses down to lock it in.

I am deffinitely will be ordering the product because the thought of the XV6600. I also recieved the ppc mount free as well from Semons.

Tvos

Thanks. I checked it out, but they say they don't have the right mount to fit my car because my dash has the "wood" (shiny brown plastic) trim package.

The Arkon is working OK for now, although I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

I highly recommend theclip's vent mount. It is a universal device, which uses a "button" to hold the device. You can either mount your ppc in a case or directly by sticking the included button to it.

I initially used mine with an EB case, then later stuck the included button to the back of my phone when I switched to a Seidio holster.

I think it uses the same style mounting clips as the Akron mount, but since it doesn't have the big chunk of plastic to interfere with it sitting tight to the vent, you may find that it works better with your car's vents.

Be careful with a vent mount though. With my Nissan Xterra I found that having the air conditioning blast the phone with mighty cold air would regularly cause the phone to hang or reboot. I ended up blocking off the inside of the vent, I mount my phone to, with a piece of dark grey foam, and never had the hang/reboot issue again.

http://www.theclip.com/Vent-Mount-p-16152.html

scott329,

The akron mount that I have now is the same clip. The problem is that the clip to the fins in the vent are a little larger then it can hang onto. I really have not had any problems with the the pocket pc lockng up because of heat or cold - but this is also something I don't care for - especially when temp can damage the ppc.

Tvos

Originally posted by tvos
    Big Calhoun,

I saw exactly the mount that I need for my VW Bettle and XV6600. It deffinitely is a winner IMO and the others I've purchased just makes it feel uneasy when installing to the
    air vent.

Thank You!

Tvos
    I hope it works out for you. I bought my first ProClip for the XV6600 and was impressed from the door. EXTREMELY sturdy and secure fit, at least in my beater (99 Infiniti G20T). I also liked that the actual cradle is secure in both the horizontal and vertical positions. As a matter of fact, have to order one today for a friend who just got an iPod and FM transmitter for Christmas. Thanks to who originally told me about them in the first place!!

Big Calhoun,

I just order the mount and the swivel for my beetle today. Not too happy with the price additional to their swivel but so far anything else on the market just doesn't seem sturdy or professional.

Thank You Again,.

DW

Big Calhoun,

A BIG "Thank You" for recommending ProClip. I've just mounted the swivelbase and mount in my volkswagon and its deffinitely right on the money. Its deffinitely sturdy, well adjustable and I like the ability to alternate with the landscape to portrait it needed.

The only thing that I could see that needs to be exercised carefully is inserting and removing the pocket pc in the holder. Dont want to snuff the sides of the ppc. Other then that I give the mount a 5 star rating vs. the other mounts that are out there.

Tvos

Geek
    I love my ProClip. Period. Buy one. I have the tilt/swivel with fixed power wired into the truck. Loving it.
    Dan Kunz - XV6600