+ Reply to Thread

TomTom5 or IGuidance

XV6600 Friends,

Just recently was given gps reciever from my wife for christmas. Been reviewing some of the GPS software that is out there and reviewed in the PPC magazine the best two GPS clients. TomTom5 and IGuidance.

Has anyone taken the time out to compare these side by side? What are the pro's and con's of these apps?

Which one do you prefer?

Tvos

I just got an iTrek reciever and iGuidance software for Xmas and love it. I haven't had much GPS experience prior to this, but there are tons of options and everything has worked flawlessly so far. The two best features I like so far is its ability to interface with my contacts and how quickly it adjusts routing if you take a short cut from the directed route. I'm not sure if most other software has the contacts feature, but I find it very convenient.

5harkology,

I bought the same one you did from semons iTrek sirf III. So far, I've been using the demo version of mapolis and it does have the feature where it uses the outlook contacts for address which is soo cool!.

I really liked that there was no learning curve to turning on the gps reciever and interfacing via bluetooth to the pockee GPS is dead right on with re-routing, streets, voice, everything.

Tvos

i wish there was something that could use the aGPS inside the unit. HP has a cool doodad for theit units called Quick GPS. We need something like that.

The GPS in the unit isn't "true" GPS, it's designed to work in conjuction with the Sprint towers to determine your location. Anyway, I use TomTom 5 and couldn't be happier, no experience with any others for comparison though...
    Tom

I saw the pocket pc thru cingular and decided to hold off buying it. my xv6600 handles bluetooth and gps flawlessy and connects immediately.

whats the problem?

tvos

I think in the larger GPS thread, there are a few mini-reviews. I had posted my feelings about iGuidance vs. TomTom a few weeks ago.

The quick and dirty of it was that I found TomTom to be much more easier to use. It pasts two vital tests: A. I can use TomTom at night w/o my glasses and not get lost and B. My wife was able to use it with only 5 minutes of instruction from me. In my book, that's a winner.

I used iGuidance on a whim b/c I had read other 6600/6601 users had used and liked it. There was a feature that adjusts the zoom level according to your driving speed. This I found very annoying and threw me off. The 3D top-down view did not feel as rich as with TomTom; the perspective just didn't feel 'natural'...to me. The navigational prompts given by iGuidance seemed a bit off. TomTom is very good at distinguishing between turning right, bearing right, or staying in the right lane. iGuidance kept turning me to turn right in all of the proceeding situations. Also, there seemed to be a 'gap' between my navaigational data and the navagational instructions. Basically, iGuidance would show me parallel to a street that I had already passed. This in turn led to missed and late directions....hence the whole driving at night w/o my glasses thing.

About the only positives that I did find in iGuidance was that it seemed to have more POI data than TomTom and the operational speed (accessing, switching between menus) seemed to be faster also. But the poor navigation made it a definite deal breaker.

This was my experience using the latest TomTom and iGuidance. Like I said, other users have reported great experiences. I'd hazzard to guess it all comes down to preference.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    The GPS in the unit isn't "true" GPS, it's designed to work in conjuction with the Sprint towers to determine your location. Anyway, I use TomTom 5 and couldn't be happier, no experience with any others for comparison though...
    Tom

I am aware of this, since GPS is the nature of my business. However, the crude positioning of aGPS is good enough for simple POI locating.

PPC 6600 + 1Gb SD
    I tried many different types of GPS maps. Finally i finished with Tom Tom as the best one. I also keep Destinator as second choise.
    Problem is that there are 2 types of maps they use. NavTech and Teleatlas. I do not remember which one exactly bit it has much better street database. And this one is NOT Tom Tom. So Destinator (the same as MApopolis) has all streets and numbers you can perform search on. Tom Tom also has all of them but it does not allow to search them. So I have to point my destination on map befor navigating. But still I use Tom tom because it hase perfect Bird Fly. I did not find better one. Also it is much easier in menus, faster, recalculates routes very fast when you miss your turn and it has large signs with arrows and street name.
    Destinator in example recalculates route in 50-100 meters i miss my turn. If I keep going it has no chanse to recalculate it. And It always tries to make U-turn to send me back to original route.
    Tom tom recalculates better as for me. It fines alternatives so i should not make U-turn.
    Conclusion - Tom Tom.
    If somebody helped me with street database. How to manage it or to increase I would delete Destinator Now I use Destinator just for search.

Also issue which probably relates more to Bluetooth-GPS issue. If I turn my phone off without exiting Tom Tom first it will hang in 50% when I turn it ON again. I usually do that on highway not to drain battaries in phone. So Tom Tom suppose to connect to running GPS device and continue navigation. It does so but hangs sometimes Have to reboot the phone.

I have only used iGuidance in Europe where it works fine. I thiunk Tom Tom has data for Europe too?

Stay away from Delorme. I started using their software long ago and they are way behind on this... though for certain applications you can create Topo maps on your PC that you can export to the PPC. This is very nice in the boonies. I have also used the X map product to make maps from scanned topo maps in Europe. Again this is not user friendly like IGuidance.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I wish that TomTom and IGuidance would have a demo software to use vs. just going out and buying it then realizing that its based on preference of choices.

I was thinking of buying the HP agps phone thru cingular but decided to stick with VZN since I've been with them for the last 4yrs now and have not failed me.

So my question is - agps, if your not in range of a tower will you still be able to get a fix on the location?

Tvos

I've always been under the impression that there are currently no applications, at least for PPCs, that can make use of the information provided by aGPS.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

This was an interesting thread to see!

Just two weeks ago I was trying to decide between iGuidance and Tom Tom 5 for my 6600.

I went with Tom Tom 5, and its pretty good, but I was pretty disappointed by a few things. My only other experience was with a Garmin C330 all in one unit.

I was very dissapointed with the way Tom Tom handles its POI interface. First - you have to choose a catagory for your POI. This stinks if you pick the wrong catagory (Wortham Center in Houston - is it a "theater" or a "cultural center?"), because you have to start typing again. You should be able to EITHER go down sub menus in your POI database (the C330 even let me choose different TYPES of restaurants - chineese, italian, mexican, etc. [Tom Tom 5 does NOT do this, by the way]), OR just go to your "main" POI database and start typing. Does this make sense? Am I explaining this clearly?

Also, when you get your POI list up, you have NO way of figuring out which of multiple entries you want. For example, lets say you type out "Bennigans" on your restaurant POI sub-menu, you're going to end up with 8 or 10 entries, but Tom Tom ONLY tells you distance, it does NOT tell you direction or, even better, address.

Also, the "call POI" function in Tom Tom does not work with our phones.

Tom Tom does have some nice added navigation features that were NOT on the c330, such as route avoidance, itenerary planning, etc.

Over all, I was pretty dissapointed with Tom Tom because of the crappy way the POI database is handled. Shows poor "human engineering" on the part of the Tom Tom software developers, IMHO.

For all you iGuidance users - how well does it handle POI searching, information, etc?

StewartG

I have never used TomTom, but I have used iGuidance for the past 13 months in WA, ID, OR, WY, CA, TX, PA, IL, KA, and HI. I have found it be very accurate no matter where I am. Philly was the only place I ever found that it gave me late prompts, but with the way that city is laid out, it would give anyone pause .

I have been very happy with the voice prompts and have rarely had to stop to think about or question the directions given.

I find the interface to be very easy to nav through with all the standard extras. For the most part PIOs are pretty good. There have been a few occasions over the last 14 months in rural areas that I found myself wanting more of them, but again these were rare situations.

If you really want to talk with those in the know.....go over GPSpassion.com and take a look around at the reviews, comparison charts, and the forums with many user comments, complaints, and reviews for all the GPS software options.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/