+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DJS

podcather for Pocket PC

Has anyone found a good podcather for pocket pc? I used feeder reader with very limited success. It slows my 6600 to crawl. I currently use a combination of Juice, Windows Media Player and Activesync to sync the to my 6600, but it would be great if I could download them directly to my 6600 especially when we get EVDO in our area.
    Adiovox XV6600 > Samsung i700 > Kyocera 7135 > Kyocera 6035 > Motorala StarTac

DJS
    Did a little searching and here's what I found: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/podca...ter/hack08.pdf
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_enc/subc...gory_id~69.asp
    I didn't get a chance to try any of the other ones yet. I'll keep you posted as I try them.

DJS,
    My results with the FeederReader were the same as yours--uninstalled after a few days because of the impact on my PPC-6601's performance.
    Please post any feedback on other readers you try. It will greatly benefit those of us with limited time to try this sort of thing.
    Mick

I'm not sure what functionality a 'podcatcher' has that an RSS reader doesn't, but I use Egress to grab both, and it's great.
    http://www.garishkernels.net/egress.html
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

I have been studying this issue the last few days and it seems the "Rube Goldfarb" contraption you first note works, but you actually only need two apps: Juice and Media Player 10. If you save your podcasts to the right directory in My Music, Media Player 10 will sync it automatically with your PPC. I have not quite gotten this all up to speed but am on vacation this week and fooling with it.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

DJS
    what you need to do is make wmp10 monitor the folder that you save your podcasts in. then, create an auto playlist of songs that have been added in the library in the last 7 days. Set this playlist to automatically sync with your ppc storage card and eureka, you got it. There is one problem though: any new songs you add will be on the playlist for 1 week. forgive all the typos, i'm on my 6600 in NYC right now

Did you check out Egress? It will automatically create playlists for each channel you're subscribed to, and you can redirect the downloaded files to your storage card rather than have activesync dump everything in main memory.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

I may have stumbled onto the solution anyhow. By making a podcast directory in my "My Music" directory on the PC it automatically syncs with my PPC Storage Card. Juice downloads the podcasts to the right directory in My Music.

However, the Egress looks very good too. I assume it can be directed to download while connected to the PC, not just via Visio?
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Visio?

You can set the 'Schedule to Check for New Items' = Never, and select the option to 'Check for new items when cradled'. This should set it up so that it only updates when you first cradle your device.

How are you getting your 'My Music' folder on the PC to sync w/ the PPC's SD Card? Are you using a 3rd party app?
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Visio I meant the 1Rx Sprint system. Vision I think they call it. I do not want to overuse it as apparently they cut you off if you download too much.

Windows Medial Player 10 on the PC syncs with version 10 on the PPC, assuming you have 10 on the PPC, which I do thanks to Ehud. It appears to do it automatically when I hook the PDA up and have Windows Media Player running on the PC. That is the good news. If I delete the file after listened to from the PPC, it is not removed from the PC and the PC tries to replace the removed copy. Looks like the easiest way to remove is via "clean-up" on Juice, which gets it off the PC and then Media Player gets it off the PPC.

I am trying to keep down the number of apps I have on the 6600 but I may just get the Egress from PocketGear as with the discount it is only $11. I would like to have only one app to do this with the minimum of keystrokes etc.. It looks like I can do it with Juice and Media Player, but it is not very slick.

Anyway, thanks for the comments. This is a bit of a new world for me but because I like languages the podcasts from Europe are very interesting.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Based on comments in this thread, I have greatly improved the parsing efficiency of FeederReader. I am currently working on the final touches of this improvement and will be releasing for Alpha testing very soon. I expect a wide release within two weeks. If you are interested in helping to Alpha test this version of FeederReader (V0.42) on your SX66, please let me know!
    Greg Smith
    Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
    www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Would be happy to test. I seem to be up to my ears getting this stuff to work anyhow.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Originally posted by GSmith
    Based on comments in this thread, I have greatly improved the parsing efficiency of FeederReader. I am currently working on the final touches of this improvement and will be releasing for Alpha testing very soon. I expect a wide release within two weeks. If you are interested in helping to Alpha test this version of FeederReader (V0.42) on your SX66, please let me know!
    jerryyyyy, I sent you a PM.

For anyone else who would like to test the latest test release of FeederReader on their SX66, the Alpha version has been released. Please let me know if you would like to be added to the Alpha Testers group.

I would love to get some feedback on if the performance issues you had with prior versions of FeederReader have been fixed.

Thanks!
    Greg Smith

Seems like the above FeederReader actually works. I am not sure what advantages it has over the other products (Alpha is free), but it has a whole lot of controls/options that I am looking into over the weekend.

I am also still trying out Egress but I have blanked out on my 6600 the Option/Storage/Retention where supposedly there is a Enclosure Limit in Days that would automatically remove old podcasts. Does this work on registered versions of Egress on the 6600? Obviously this is useful to get rid of MBs of podcasts that arrive on your storage card.

Both these products seem better than using Juice and Windows Media. This combination has complete control of retention of downloads, but much as to be run manually as far as I can see.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

The default to download manually is mostly due to the limited connectedness and battery power of the PDA. If you are always connected and always have enough battery power, set "Auto Update" on the Tools menu and FeederReader will automatically download feeds and enclosures as set on the Tools | Options... | Auto Tab.

The biggest advantages of a program like FeederReader over "Juice and sync" solutions are access to "show notes" (if available) while listening to the podcast, automatic file management (download to delete), and downloading podcasts while away from your desktop.

I appreciate your response about FeederReader. And if you need any help with all the options in FeederReader (I know there are a lot of them), I'm in the FeederReader Forums all the time. Ask any questions you want over there. And if FeederReader doesn't have something you want, please let me know so I can think about adding it!
    Greg Smith

OK, will look to the forum. By paying for Egress I got the option to remove podcasts after a certain number of days activated. Guess this must be a key option. I suspect you can do much of the same with your software and will have to check documentation.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

In FeederReader, go to Tools | Options... then select "More" on the Toolbar. In the Keep Tab there is an Enclosures: Age. You can specify the age to remove in Minutes, Hours, Days, or Weeks.

The reason this option is under "More" is that you can specify this parameter differently for any feed. You set the default as I specified above, but then say you want a certain feed to keep the Enclosures for 4 weeks instead. Open up the Properties for that feed and change the "Enclosures: Age" to 4 weeks, select the override checkbox and Save. You can also change the setting for a group of feeds all at once by putting them in the same category, then changing the "Enclosures: Age" of the category (again, by selecting the Properties of that category, be sure to also check the Override button).

Thanks!
    Greg Smith

Thanks, this worked and I am now on your forum to follow-up.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I've just released a new version of FeederReader (V0.45). Thank you to all who have tested the Alpha versions! If you find that the current Beta does not work with your device, please let me know so I can improve it. Thanks!

The biggest improvements to FeederReader V0.45 are:

Improved startup and parsing performance.

Greatly improved message handling.

Categories are now fully heirarchical, as well as OPML import and export.

Online OPML Updates, including "Reading Lists" are fully hierarchical.

HTTP Authentication now supported.

Added access to message comments through: Link, CommentAPI, and/or Subscribe.

Greg Smith
    www.FeederReader.com
    Greg Smith

I think I've heard from everyone in this thread that the new version of FeederReader works much better on the PPC-6600 and the SX66. If you are still seeing problems with FeederReader and either of these machines (or any device, really!), please let me know!
    Greg Smith