+ Reply to Thread

Memory error for the camera when using a 4 Gig SD card

I recently purchased a 4 Gig SD card from transend ( thanks for the info from this site) and while it works great with almost everything I have a problem with the camera. Everytime I set the storage for the pictures to the 4 gig card I get the following message. "unable to capture. Not enough memory. 36001:111:0. The camera seems to work with my other smaller SD cards without a hitch. I even went so far as to do a hard reset and start from scratch with the same results. Any ideas?
    Verizon 6600, Dell Axim x50v with 5.0 upgrade, Axim x-5, and last but not least Casio BE-300

I know that many cameras use a proprietary way of formatting the card. Like you may not be able to take a card from a Canon and use it in a Nikon. Is there any way to format the card from any camera settings on the 6600? The other unfortunate possibility is that the camera may just not work with bigger cards... sort of doubt this as people much have used 2GB cards already. I assume you have already reformatted it with something like pocketmechanic.

Here is one compatibility list and as you may note the list is shorter than the number of cameras that would want to use these cards.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/...tail&FAQNo=400

I am happy to see my new little Canon is on there... but a lot are not. They also say it must be formatted in FAT32, but there are a lot of ways of doing that. Might just systematically try different formats.

Good Luck.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Thanks for the quick response. Reformatted with no luck. I have resorted to saving the picts to the on board storage and periodically tranfering them to the SD card. Takes more time but it works.
    Verizon 6600, Dell Axim x50v with 5.0 upgrade, Axim x-5, and last but not least Casio BE-300

Originally posted by jerryyyyy
    I know that many cameras use a proprietary way of formatting the card. Like you may not be able to take a card from a Canon and use it in a Nikon. Is there any way to format the card from any camera settings on the 6600? The other unfortunate possibility is that the camera may just not work with bigger cards... sort of doubt this as people much have used 2GB cards already. I assume you have already reformatted it with something like pocketmechanic.

Here is one compatibility list and as you may note the list is shorter than the number of cameras that would want to use these cards.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/...tail&FAQNo=400

I am happy to see my new little Canon is on there... but a lot are not. They also say it must be formatted in FAT32, but there are a lot of ways of doing that. Might just systematically try different formats.

Good Luck.
    This card comes with it pre formatted in FAT32. I have the same issue as ottoez and have, for the time being, been transferring pix which is a pain in the ARS!!!!! I assume our 6600 is FAT32?
    Verizon xv6600

The issue I was alluding to is that FAT32 can de formatted with different cluster sizes. I wish we had a few more of or more expert mavens around on this board... think some have left for 6700 territory. But, perhaps the cluster size might make a difference. This is probably grasping at straws.
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

many of our "experts" are holding off on paying over $200 for the 4gig when the 2gigs are so cheap now and the 8, 16, and 32 gigs are coming out in the next few months. (well the 32gig in about 1 year)

*the 8gb compact flash is out now.
    http://www.cyberscholar.com/train_pg...=8&vendorid=95
    Last edited by amirmckelvey; 12-30-2005 at 01:21 AM.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    many of our "experts" are holding off on paying over $200 for the 4gig when the 2gigs are so cheap now and the 8, 16, and 32 gigs are coming out in the next few months. (well the 32gig in about 1 year)

*the 8gb compact flash is out now.
    http://www.cyberscholar.com/train_pg...=8&vendorid=95
    That's understood, "but" will the 6600 recognize or be able to read a card with that much memory?
    As it is, my 6600 only reads 3.7gig og my 4gig card. And Audiovox didn't think it would be able to read 2gig.
    So we'll see, but back on topic ....why doesn't our 6600 camera program recognize the 4gig card?

Verizon xv6600

There really shouldn't be a limit to the size the 6600 can read, it just hasn't been tested past 2gb by the manufacture. The reason why you only see 3.7gb is just a cluster issue which is normal for all hardrives/flashdrives of larger size. a 30 gig HD may only show up as 28.7gb for example. an 8gb compact flash probally show ups as 7.6gb most likely.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Does cluster size matter when one is formatting the card? Would a card formatted with the "wrong" size cluster possibly not be recognized? Or is this not an issue?
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

overall it's a non-issue that you shouldn't really worry about.

The problem could very well be a camera software problem in that it may be using a signed 32-bit integer to determine free space.

Many software programs don't know the cluster size, nor do they care about the cluster size; what they do care about is the number of available bytes free.

A signed 32-bit integer has the following positive maximum value: 2,147,483,647. Or, 2GiB.

Any value above that will overflow and become a negative value due to the way computers represent negative numbers (the left most 31st bit is used for the sign where a 1 means negative).

Now, an UNsigned 32-bit value can go up to 4GiB: 4,294,967,295.

What this means is, if you use an 8GiB or 16GiB card, many PPC software programs will crash or fail to understand free space (or they will fail intermittently depending on which chunk of 4GiB free the free falls into)

You can try this as a test to see if the camera has this signed 32-bit limitation as follows:

1. on your PC, load up the card so that slightly more than half of the card is full. What you want is the free space being less than 2,147,483,647.

2. put the now-more-than-half-full-4GiB card into the 6600 and see if the camera app gives you the error.

If you get the same error, it may be trying to calculate free space based on total space and it's just not going to work unless you try partitioning the card.

If you get no error, then the card calculated the value using a inappropriate number storage by making the "assumption" that the largest storage size will never exceed 2GiB.
    Last edited by burble; 12-30-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Originally posted by burble
    The problem could very well be a camera software problem in that it may be using a signed 32-bit integer to determine free space.

Many software programs don't know the cluster size, nor do they care about the cluster size; what they do care about is the number of available bytes free.

A signed 32-bit integer has the following positive maximum value: 2,147,483,647. Or, 2GiB.

Any value above that will overflow and become a negative value due to the way computers represent negative numbers (the left most 31st bit is used for the sign where a 1 means negative).

Now, an UNsigned 32-bit value can go up to 4GiB: 4,294,967,295.

What this means is, if you use an 8GiB or 16GiB card, many PPC software programs will crash or fail to understand free space (or they will fail intermittently depending on which chunk of 4GiB free the free falls into)

You can try this as a test to see if the camera has this signed 32-bit limitation as follows:

1. on your PC, load up the card so that slightly more than half of the card is full. What you want is the free space being less than 2,147,483,647.

2. put the now-more-than-half-full-4GiB card into the 6600 and see if the camera app gives you the error.

If you get the same error, it may be trying to calculate free space based on total space and it's just not going to work unless you try partitioning the card.

If you get no error, then the card calculated the value using a inappropriate number storage by making the "assumption" that the largest storage size will never exceed 2GiB.
    Well .....time to load another 1/2 GiB of tunes! That should do it!
    Verizon xv6600