Closed Thread

Newest Windows Mobile!?!?

Where can I get the newest Windows Mobile?

I had a new 6600 sent from my insurance company so I lost all the ROM updates...

Once I get the newest Windows Mobile..will that update all the ROM and include the updated features?

I heard it's really good...is it worth it? Thanks a lot. All responses will be greatly appreciated.

S.K.D.

I'd appreciate any responses

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    The answers already exist.

Originally posted by br549
    The answers already exist.
    Where? I did a search and couldn't find it...

I'm sorry if this is repetetive but i'd appreciate help because my Navigation system comes on Thur. and I have the default system without the ROM updates and I am considering upgrading to Windows Mobile 5.0 but I want to know if it's worth it or not etc.

Although I generally subscribe to the teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish scenario, sometimes that can be akin to telling him to search for rain in the Sahara since this is a forum, and not exactly a knowledge base.

But, because there is an existing thread on this very page which addresses your general concern, I'd hoped you would simply see it rather than trying to search for it.

Bottom-line: Without further non-MS development, WM5 will not work on the 6600. However, if there is enough will, time, and money, it'll happen if it can happen.

Originally posted by br549
    Although I generally subscribe to the teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish scenario, sometimes that can be akin to telling him to search for rain in the Sahara since this is a forum, and not exactly a knowledge base.

But, because there is an existing thread on this very page which addresses your general concern, I'd hoped you would simply see it rather than trying to search for it.

Bottom-line: Without further non-MS development, WM5 will not work on the 6600. However, if there is enough will, time, and money, it'll happen if it can happen.
    I have a friend who has a Dell Axim and had the same operating system as me and bought the Windows Mobile 5.0 and it works for him so if he had the same operating system as me why wouldn't it work for us...

because DELL decided to release an update and audiovox did not (and neither did any rebrander of the 6600)

Originally posted by gimpdog
    because DELL decided to release an update and audiovox did not (and neither did any rebrander of the 6600)
    Ok...I kind of get it but I just know he bought the actual Windows Mobile 5.0 and has the Microsoft version...

Just out of curiousty, what would happen if I took the W.M. 5.0 Cd of his and tried to install it on my PDA?

Also, what is the latest ROM and update available for us then? Same one that was available before?

there is no version of WM 5 you can purchase from Microsoft...a little research would have turned up that microsoft sells/release a base WM 5 to device developers who then customize it for their devices so your friend has the DELL version of WM 5 (this version also only works natively on certain axims and not all).

i don't know for sure but mst likely the WM 5 cd your friend has would:
    a. not install because it was not designed for our devices(code incompatibility)
    b. even if it did install it wouldn't have all the phone related apps/configs leaving you with a pda only

research would also tell you that 2.04 is the latest non official rom.

Let me make it simple. WM 5 is not available for the 6600.

There are some additional ROM upgrades which may give you Version 10 of the Media Player and some better Bluetooth conections, BUT, unless you are terribly dissatisfied with what you have, better to stick with what you have got.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Or, if you install, you can then throw your 6600 away and buy a 6700 with wm5.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

If I am not mistaken, MS is the one who said that WM03 PDA devices may be upgraded if the manufacturer so desired to offer it their customers. Then they said in the same statement that no current WM03 Mobile Edition devices (PDA cell phones) will be offered an upgrade.....the only exception I believe is the i730 as it was built for WMO5 but release prior to the WM05 launch.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

This thread is really good.

There weren't enough threads about WM5 on the 6600.

Keep encouraging people who don't search. The clutter and duplicate threads make it more convenient for them.

Ehud