+ Reply to Thread

Hardware issues.. anybody seen these yet?

I've had my 6600 since sometime in March and never dropped it once.. about a week ago, it started behaving strangely. When I would slide the keyboard out, it would pull down the start menu at random times. At first I thought it was just me accidentally brushing a button or something, but it soon started to get worse.

Now whenever I slide the keyboard out, it will cause the green and red lights for the talk/end buttons to flicker on and off, bring the start menu down several times and sometimes open Messaging or Internet Explorer. The keyboard won't work at all, although it will light up when you press a key (just nothing is typed). The sleep button won't work when the keyboard is extended, and neither will any of the other hardware buttons (including volume, record, camera, etc.). I can still use the touch screen just fine. Once I slide the keyboard back in, all of the buttons return to operating normally.

With the keyboard tray *IN*, I tried pressing firmly on the bottom of the phone casing (just under the windows/messaging/ie/okay buttons) to see if I could trigger the same issues, but nothing happens.

If anybody cares enough, this is a link to a small (~3.5 mb .wmv) video of me holding the phone and it's behavior while sliding the keyboard out. You'll notice me trying to type on the keyboard in a new text message and when the phone turns sideways, that's me pressing the sleep button and it doing nothing.

Click me

I also tried a hard reset just so I could say I tried "everything", and obviously it did nothing. I'm really just wondering if anybody else has experienced similar behavior from their phone (especially having never dropped it??) and what they did.

Thanks for reading!

Time for a warranty replacement.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
    My cellphone is smarter than your honor student.

Contorted
    Thanks for the video. So often people explain what's wrong with their machine but it's hard to visualize.

More video!

Get a new one! I'm about to do the same thing. My slider is loose, I'm missing a screw and the power button sometimes get stuck down. Sorry no video.

Tabbs

Thanks for the responses!

It's pretty clear it has to be replaced. Hopefully it's still covered under warranty and they don't screw with me. I also hope I don't get stuck with a 6700!

who here has never dropped their ppc???? Not me... No broken screen thank goodness.....
    PPC-6600 - went swimmin wit tha fishess

PPC-6700 - all shiney and new

I have several times... Still keeps Ticking !!!

your "menu" key is sticking, and getting activated whenever you slide out the keyboard.

I have had similar problems, only the menu key will get stuck, and pull the drop down menu down about every 5 seconds until it unsticks.

Normally get it unstuck by mashing on all of the keys at the bottom repeatedly.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    the small ribbon cable that attaches the keyboard to the screen section via the slider is either become partially unpluged (easily fixed once opened), has a short or has become pinched in the slider mechanism (neither of which can be fixed without replacing the part)

i wouldnt recommend cracking the device open unless you have no warranty and cannot get your carrier to replace it but its always an option.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

your "menu" key is sticking, and getting activated whenever you slide out the keyboard.
    would my menu key be sticking EVERYTIME I go to slide the keyboard out, you think? There are times when I won't even be using the phone, ill have it silting on my desk, someone will send me a text message, and I can hear it opening the start menu and junk. I think the vibration from my phone ringing is enough to set off whatever has malfunctioned "behind the scenes."

I took the phone back to the sprint store and they said they couldn't really help me with a warranty replacement. they said I need to contact audiovox as this would fall under a manufacturer's defect. anybody have experience dealing directly With audlovox on issues like this? I called their 1-800-229-1235 number last night, but their hours are m-f. i dont have the lockline insurance and am not able to purchase it at this point, since it's 30 days after I signed My new contract. Too much fraud, I guess!

Thanks for all your guys help and responses.

Hi Tech Trader
    Yeah, sprint just changed their policy. Used to be you went to them as long as you had a manufacturers warranty, even if you didnt have lockline, you'd still deal wit Sprint, and not the manufacturer.

Now, sprint only helps you if you have lockline. If not, you gotta go to the manufacturer.

Really sucks, but I think you might be in uncharted water now.

Good luck!

P.S. if you ***** and moan to Sprint, they *may* help, but they dont *have* to.

Yea, if you get no help at the Sprint stores, you may call up the Sprint 800 number and try that.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

Well, I called the Audiovox Warranty Replacement Center at the 1-800 number I posted above. They said the issue should be covered under their warranty since I've only had the phone about 8 months. However, I have to send my phone in to them with the original receipt, name, return address and a note describing what's wrong with the phone. I guess from there they'll decide what the "proper" method of handling this will be. Until then, I guess I'm without a cell phone...

I haven't yet called up Sprint, only visited them in-store. I'm considering doing that before shipping this piece off.

Well, I hate to bring back a dead thread, but I didn't feel like making a new one. Just thought I might get some advice from my fellow PPC'ers.

I, for the life of me, cannot find the receipt for this phone. I've looked EVERYWHERE for the thing. Nowhere to be found! I do have my credit card statement which shows the transaction, however, it does not show that I purchased a PPC6600. I called Customer Service, they said that they can "try" to do a reprint of the transaction, but again, it does not show that I purchased a PPC6600, only that I paid them on such and such a date.

Does anybody here have any experience with Audiovox's warranty replacement team and KNOW whether or not a receipt is required for warranties to be honored? Or, does anybody have any idea as to how I can track down a proof of purchase for this phone.. I have the original box and all the crap with it, just no receipt If it's any help, I purchased it through their Customer Service 888-211-4724 number (as they were not available in stores at the time).

TIA...

I think Audiovox will be able to determine wether or not it is under warranty. You did the right thing by bumping your old thread too.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

That's really what I'm hoping. I'm tempted to send the phone in with all the stuff they require minus the receipt and seeing what happens.

Thanks for your response.

I called my Credit Card company today to see if they could track down a copy of the receipt, still no luck. Nobody has a receipt for this phone!! Oh well, I'm sending it back today without one. Guess I have to be without a phone for a while.. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again.