+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XV6600 Pocket PC Radar Detectors

PPC Friends,

Not sure if this has been discussed. Reviewed numerous threads and searched but came up empty.

Would it be possible to use the pocket pc as a radar detector? Anyone know a hardware that one can add on to the ppc?

Tvos

not practicle.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Medley of Extemporanea

Re: XV6600 Pocket PC Radar Detectors

Originally posted by tvos
    PPC Friends,

Not sure if this has been discussed. Reviewed numerous threads and searched but came up empty.

Would it be possible to use the pocket pc as a radar detector? Anyone know a hardware that one can add on to the ppc?

Tvos
    Yes, you can use your 6600 as a radar detector.

Step 1 - First get into the car.

Step 2 - Hold your phone up to the car windshield

Step 3 - Launch the camera preview application, video mode or picture mode will work here.

Step 4 - Start driving

Step 5 - Keep looking into the 6600 screen while you drive

Step 6 - Keep driving

Step 7 - If you see a cop with a radar gun pointed at your car on the 6600 video preview window, slow down.

Step 8 - There is no step 8.

Step 9 - See step 8.

The PPC6800 will be a tricorder with radar and lazer tracking. And it will also tell you what you had to eat last week by the smell of your fingernails.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

PPC Friends,

Thank You for the nice warm comments.. I'll deffinitely make sure that I'll follow the steps and even 8... (DUH).

But seriously, why not come up with some kind of invention? A lot of you people in here are very smart and savvy - imagine the rewards...$$$

Tvos

hardware wise it's not possible.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Nonsense.

Originally posted by amirmckelvey

Of course it's possible...you make it like a navigation system and have an external device that reads to your PDA....it is very possible.

Originally posted by tvos
    A lot of you people in here are very smart and savvy

You included?

Originally posted by XXSASSXX31
    Of course it's possible...you make it like a navigation system and have an external device that reads to your PDA....it is very possible.
    You included?

A unit using bluetooth like our gps's could definitely be built to serve this purpose, someone asked me about this like a year ago since they were thinking of doing it. The main points I made to them were I'd be surprised since they need a bluetooth based device that they could make a unit considerably cheaper than a run of the mill radar detector that is mass produced, so why would people pay MORE for a bluetooth type device that required a ppc for it's functions instead of just getting a normal radar detector... unless stealth is your purpose...
    Tom

That's my point Tom, Harware wise it is not possible because there is nothing in existence Radar Detector wise that has bluetooth capabilities to communicate with a Pocket PC. And it doesn't really make sense to even develope one unless you are just building a database of where you pick up certain bands of radar I guess which is just showing that someone needs a woman in their life...
    Plus many times especially with lazer, when your device alerts you, you will be hitting your breaks to slow down, not looking at your PDA to analyse the situation...

That's my point Tom, Harware wise it is not possible because there is nothing in existence Radar Detector wise that has bluetooth capabilities to communicate with a Pocket PC. And it doesn't really make sense to even develope one unless you are just building a database of where you pick up certain bands of radar I guess which is just showing that someone needs a woman in their life...
    Plus many times especially with lazer, when your device alerts you, you will be hitting your breaks to slow down, not looking at your PDA to analyse the situation...
    Ok I think many of us misunderstood you, with JUST THE 660x hardware I agree it's not possible, some external peripheral would be required, although the question in the original post was asking if there was "hardware to add" to make this happen. Either way, your points are pretty much the same ones I presented to someone a while back when they were thinking about making something like this, I just don't see that much of an advantage to using your PPC.
    Tom

I think this is the 1st and only really practicle use for a bluetooth radar detector.
    http://www.twice.com/article/CA6250057.html
    it has hard mounts in the front and rear of the vehicle and those are connected to the central base in the car via bluetooth and thus gives audio warnings. No wires to connect which is a pain for all of the hard mount detectors but they tend to be the most sensitive (and costly)

I think this is the 1st and only really practicle use for a bluetooth radar detector.
    http://www.twice.com/article/CA6250057.html
    it has hard mounts in the front and rear of the vehicle and those are connected to the central base in the car via bluetooth and thus gives audio warnings. No wires to connect which is a pain for all of the hard mount detectors but they tend to be the most sensitive (and costly)
    Well, I guess these facts take care of issues of whether or not someone will do this. I know why I would want one:

1. I just got caught by the CHP at night by a trooper traveling in the other direction who did a U-turn to get me. I thought I was safe on a road in the boonies with nobody behind me.... if I had a radar detector.

2. Detectors are illegal in many places so a bluetooth device might be less obvious.

3. If they could get device that is not hard-wired it could be used in multiple cars, i.e. I can move it to my wife's car, who is even worse than I am about speeding. I use my GPS like this in my wife's car.

If anyone wants some links to online traffic schools for California, I have them.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I travel from Toronto to D.C. on the road to visit friends and Canada, V.A. and D.C. I believe are the main places I go where radar detectors are illegal to use, but not to have on your dashboard turned off.
    Back in 1997 I invested in a $350 radar detector after going through 5 speeding tickets in 4 different states. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket since. (that held up in court....)
    As you can see I drive fast on the highway which is why I was very picky on finding a great Bluetooth earpiece with loud volume.
    Scala-500 for the win!!

Personally, I've never cared for radar detectors. I've gotten more tickets with them than without. It's all common sense...stay in groups, know the 'spots', pay attention to taillights, and just keep your eyes open in general. But that's me...

I don't think having a BT radar detector would make a difference in a state where detectors are illegal. The BT connection would seemingly be to transmit the information from the detector to the PDA. The detector is still putting out the same radio signals to detect radar guns. So if an officer is using a radar detector-detector, you're going to get popped anyway.

Plus I think about how useful would it REALLY be...particuarly on the XV6600. What happens when a call comes in? What if you need to use navigation AND you want to use the detector functionality? Since PDAs would require an external device, how are you going to power everything? Too many logistical issues.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

any radar detector worth it's salt will alert you and shut off when it detects a radar detector detector. If you are paying less than $300 for a radar detector you are wasting your money and will continue to get speeding tickets and it will go off when you pass by stores.

NOW with that all said, if there came out a Bluetooth GPS Radar Detector Device where it not only transmits your gps but also an estimation on your map as to where the radar (cop) is located, now I would go for something like that.

A GPS / Radar detector combo via BT would also be interesting if it did as Amirmchkelvey stated....but also have it keep a GPS record your speed during your route, like Geo Caching or Map Spotting. Don't know about court approval of such information, but if you could show the judge that you were simply mapping your route with your GPS for whatever reason and could show that you actually were going slower than the cop claims, it might help. I am personally not interested in it, just rambling.
    Hobbes
    Writer for WMExperts.com
    www.wmexperts.com/ | www.wmexperts.com/reviews/ | discussion.wmexperts.com/

any radar detector worth it's salt will alert you and shut off when it detects a radar detector detector. If you are paying less than $300 for a radar detector you are wasting your money and will continue to get speeding tickets and it will go off when you pass by stores.

NOW with that all said, if there came out a Bluetooth GPS Radar Detector Device where it not only transmits your gps but also an estimation on your map as to where the radar (cop) is located, now I would go for something like that.
    hhmm and to add to my brilliant Idea... How about for the PPC devices that are on evdo or some type of broadband, when a confirmed police radar is received, the location and radar type is sent to a server that updates realtime to your gps software so that you have on your map the location of other police radar that other users have also encountered in your area. (Fee based service of course but what an idea.....)