+ Reply to Thread

CF of some manner with xv6600

hey guys;
    ive been using my verizon based xv6600 for a while now and have read through alot of the old posts here and certainly learned alot. in all hubris i would say that i'm no technophobe.
    i'm a professional photographer and am often filing images on the run, which was one reason i got the 6600, so that i could used it as a usb modem, which has worked out fine so far, i can take my laptop and if there isnt wifi where im filing from (around capital hill and all in downtown DC there generally is plenty though). i was thinking the other day what would be really nice is some manner of CF reader for the 6600 so that i could simply edit the images on the fly with that (since i have that on me anyways since its my phone) and then file them on EVDO.
    so far what ive come up with is this:
    1) ipod has a camera adapter (this converts the usb on the camera (my 20D s support this) to a female usb plug that then plugs into the ipod via its normal sync/charge cable. would this work on the 6600?
    2) some manner of SD card reader for CF cards?
    3) using an SD CF card and shooting the time critical stuff on that in camera then removing the SD card from the convertor and plugging it strait into the 6600, expensive and roundabout though.
    thanks
    alex
    XV-6600-innopocket magnum case. canon 20D 70-200 f/2.8 28-105 f/4

I am an Electrical Engineer and pondered this myself, when I got my phone. The reason that SD only has 9 pins (vs. CF's 50 pins) is that SD is a serial access memory device (whereas CF is parallel access). Basically, it is far easier to convert from serial to parallel (hence the available SD to CF adapters) than vice versa. Connecting a card reader or camera to the PDA's USB port is not possible, as the device's USB controller doesn't support host mode.

I bought a 1 GB SD card and a SD to CF adapter to use in my FUJI S2 PRO, then found that opening a 3 MB file from the 6 megapixel camera is very slow, and emailing an image from the phone (I am still on 1x) takes a painful amount of time. If you can afford to shoot in a lower resolution mode, this is probably a reasonable solution...

yeah, i vaguely knew of the serial parrallel issue, and the fact that CF cards have the controller built in and SDs dont, as i understand it.
    how does the Ipod adapter work? if anyone knows. i know it uses on the camera side of things the protocol that cameras have built in host controllers so one doesnt need drivers on a computer and they come up as a mass storage device, i dont know if this helpful or not. i dont know if any programs have come up with some kind of mass storage controller for the pda?
    what we need is a bluetooth compact flash reader. could this be done with some kind of USB bridge?
    i appreciate your point about large file size. i shoot jpg large fine on the 20D and thats 3500 by 3000 so its not inconsequential. the ease of not toting around my thinkpad though would be fantastic.
    thanks for the advice so far.
    alex
    XV-6600-innopocket magnum case. canon 20D 70-200 f/2.8 28-105 f/4

There was a post a while back that there is a pcmcia sled that works with the 660x. I priced it out, it's not available here in the US except from european companies that will ship here, and was just over $200. Anyway good luck!
    Tom

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    There was a post a while back that there is a pcmcia sled that works with the 660x. I priced it out, it's not available here in the US except from european companies that will ship here, and was just over $200. Anyway good luck!
    Tom

I found the "backpack" and would have bought one in a heartbeat, but it is just for the PDA2, not the PDA2K. The PDA2 had a "backpack" ASIC (besides the SD-IO ASIC) with a connector in the battery compartment. The PDA2k (660x) unfortunately does not have this interface. We are limited to SDIO and bluetooth for interfacing.

htp://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=109731

As far as the Ipod goes, Apple was smart enough to implement both host and peripheral support, so that is why it can interface with the camera. In our case, the USB host controller IC supports both modes, but HTC appearantly chose to just implement peripheral mode.