+ Reply to Thread

Question ppc - xbox360 connectivity?

Hey all-
    After searching long and hard I finally got my xbox 360 (yes, it is amazing) and now I am ready to mess with it.

This might be more of a question geared towards xbox forums - but I thought I may as well start here:

I was wondering if anyone had tried, or knows how to go about, getting the box to recognize a 6600.

Basically something along the lines of this:
    http://www.iriveramerica.com/xbox/
    but replace lame iriver with cool ppc

I tried the naive "plug and play" technique... no luck. There are a total of three usb ports, and while it will charge my ppc, it won't recognize it. This would just be pretty cool so I could transfer files, music, etc.

Any thoughts?

I think you can do this with WM5 devices because they can show up as Windows Media devices. With 2003SE you have to sync music through activesync so the 360 would need to have that capability to activesync, which it doesn't.

The Xbox360 mostly recognizes USB-connected MP3 players because they show up as USB storage devices, which the xv6600 doesn't do when when connected to a PC.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Originally posted by lmychajluk
    The Xbox360 mostly recognizes USB-connected MP3 players because they show up as USB storage devices, which the xv6600 doesn't do when when connected to a PC.
    Yes It can. Install CardExport. It will allow you to toggle your device between ActiveSync and USB Mass storage device.

that might do the trick.

That's so crazy, it might just work! ;D
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

but you would need to install that on the PC right?

no. just your pda. it just toggles a mode from activesync to usb mass storage device. and when its on, your internal storage and your sd card both show up as storage devices under my computer.

i would imagine it would work the same if the xbox360 supports mass storage devices.

I have 2.02 installed. Its like 60kb. You can pm me for more information.

huh thats interesting. and would certainly make the Xbox360 even more useful.

Holy Crap that worked!!!

Unbelievable.
    CardExport did the trick and the entire process took about 2 minutes to set up. This might be the easiest and most successful thing I've ever done with my ppc.

Also, this is awesome because I can stream music through the xbox into my stereo with perfect sound quality. I was using a 2.5mm - audio splitter before and the sound was crappy and inconsistent.

Now I've got to use this to somehow transfer old xbox data to the 360...

Thanks Robplat!

take the old xbox harddrive out and put it in the pc, then transfer everything over to your pda's storage card. right?

your welcome. glad i could help!

Oh, and I forgot to post the link I found if anyone else is interested in this or for other uses:
    Card Export
    http://www.softick.com/download.php

The problem there is that when a USB device is connected to the Xbox360, it is read-only. I don't think you'll be able to copy anything off the PPC, just like you can't copy from an MP3 player or a USB memory stick.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Wow, thanks M$ for making it read only- dicks.

I assume this is for copyright issues and such, but damn, I was really hoping to be able to copy stuff from my device. That's pretty annoying. What the hell do I need a 20 gig HD for then?

Still pretty cool app though.
    It's also nice for transferring data to other comps that don't have active sync set up

Originally posted by Zachoo
    It's also nice for transferring data to other comps that don't have active sync set up

Thats why I found it in the first place.
    Make sure you keep a copy of the install file on your storage card or something, in the event of a hard reset you can make this thing a mass storage device and be able to copy a backup file off the pc onto the device (if need be).

(I have two backups, 1 to the storage card, 1 to the computer) sometimes the storage card backup fails but the one to the computer every day always works. theres time i have to get online and download my backup from my server and copy it to my device to restore it, having to preinstall activesync whereever i might be is a pain.)

Originally posted by Zachoo
    Wow, thanks M$ for making it read only- dicks.

I assume this is for copyright issues and such...
    It probably has something to do with copyright, but also with security around the Live service. If they open up the ability to copy files to/from non-secured devices, people will find a way to hack those files and give themselves unfair advantages within games (uber-gun, super-car, ultra-spells, etc...) or worse. Think of it this way - someone can write a virus-type program and save it in an MP3 file, which the Xbox360 will then execute, which can potentially lead to the virus now exposing some function in the Xbox that wasn't meant to be exposed, like bypassing the copy protection of a game and allowing you to play an illegal copy. With a good number of Xboxs connected to Live, that virus may also spread over the live service, but may not be as 'beneficial' a hack as I described, and perhaps doing something like wiping all your game saves.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

mp3s are played in a decompressed wave form. the chances of a buffer overflow and execution of code via an mp3 is, well, it would have been tried by now. I dont think its possible.

they could still allow the transfer of media from the usb to the xbox without imposing any harm to actual game play. i dont see a problem with that.

Give it time, someone will find a way. Theres always a way.

I threw MP3 out as an example, but it could be any type of file that someone could trick the Xbox into opening.

Also, wasn't there some virus/exploit that somehow embedded itself in a JPG image? I thought there was a big stink about that a while back...
    -Lee
    Samsung i730

Hey lmychajluk, sounds like you've given the xbox-vrius idea some pretty solid thought...

If my box gets a virus first I'll laugh because that'd be pretty funny, but then I'm coming after you

In the meantime i've been streaming mp3s from my pcc to my box all day and it sounds great- I can even make calls and such while it's playing with no skipping or sound quality loss. This is much better than any old media app split- wired through to a stereo-and all for only $400+ more...

Just stay off my freinds list! I don't need your cooties!

Seriously, IMO, one of the worst things to happen to the first Xbox was Action Replay, which was an off-the-shelf product that basically allowed the exact scenarios I described. Not so much viruses, but alot of hacking/cheating in games, and there was some scrambling to issue updates to prevent the hacks. I'm actually a MS MVP for Xbox, and when I was out there for the annual MVP conference back in Sept, we talked about the additional security features that would be implemented in the Xbox360 to prevent these types of things. One of the best 'features' of online console gaming is the equalizer - everyone's on the same playing field, but now with the Marketplace, there are also eCommerce issues to consider.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730