+ Reply to Thread
    Search Deez Nutz

Making the picture darker on your today screen

I thought I found a way to do this awhile back, but can't remember how. I took a picture of my son and I and put it on my device, but it's so light on the today screen you can barely see it. Anybody know how I can fix this and make it more visible/darker?

Thanks.

I just finished using ThemeGenerator (free download) to put my 2 kids pics on the today screen. It lets you adjust the brightness of the pic as well as giving it a degree of transparency and crop/enlarge. You can also change the color of the text to increase readability, and even put a different pic on the menu.

It's a pretty basic program and I was able to make 6 different themes pretty quickly. The only problem I ran into was the version I have (1.2?) said it couldn't install to my PPC b/c it wasn't running 2002. So I just copied them over using Explore in ActiveSync and they work great!

There may be a simpler solution somewhere, but I have so many great pics of my kids (5 y.o. boy, 8 m.o. girl) I could never have picked just one -- this way I've got several of their best that I can switch back and forth very easily.

Carl
    The most common task for the medical profession is to give sick people something to do while the body's natural healing processes do their job.

Search Deez Nutz
    Thank you Carl. Where I can I download ThemeGenerator from? I'll try google, see what I come up with.

Search Deez Nutz
    Found it, it was at Microsoft.com

Search Deez Nutz
    Carl, can you walk me through how to do this? I've been messing with themegenerator for hours and can't get it to a screen that will allow me to select and darken the pic I want as my today screen.

Thanks.

I can, but before I go through a tedious stepXstep on what I feel is a pretty simple process I want to clarify that I'm actually hearing the question you are really asking.
    It sounds like you have a pic that is pretty light (maybe even overexposed?) and you just need to decrease the Brigtness of it before putting it on your PPC. If this is the case then click the "Modify this image" button in the Generator (becomes active after you Browse & select an image) to get a toolbox that includes a slider labeled "Darkness/Lightness" which will make the pic darker when moved to the left.

If this isn't the situation/problem then please clarify. . . is the pic substantially lighter on your 6600 than on your PC? If so are other today screen images (i.e., Bliss) too light also? How does the pic look in the preview Today screen of the generator vs. the actual Today screen of your 6600 after installing the theme?

Just to clarify, I'm using Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Theme Generator v2 on my PC to create themes, then manually copying them over to my VX6600.

Good luck!

P.S. I also got the companion app Theme Switcher to work on my 6600 so now every hour a new today screen pic (theme) pops up. It seems just a little quirky to get going; but while at my job it's great to see these reminders throughout the day of why I'm working. Plus I've now got 10 themes, so it helps me count down the hours! (I work 10 hr. shifts)
    The most common task for the medical profession is to give sick people something to do while the body's natural healing processes do their job.

Hey buduan. Save yourself some trouble and do it with the software your phone came with.

Run the Pictures application.

Choose your image.

Go to Tools / Set as Today Wallpaper

It will prompt you for the transparency level. Set it how you like it 0 = normal, 100 = totally faded.

Hit OK. Problem solved.

Actually that would make the problem worse, because increased transparency = increased lightness. Buduan needs to make the pic darker.

Carl

Right.... that's why he needs to change the transparency to ZERO. DUH!

The default transparency set by CE is 65%. So if you use the instructions I gave and change that to 0% your picture is back to the way it normally looks, simple as that.

Search Deez Nutz
    Originally posted by Phydeux
    Hey buduan. Save yourself some trouble and do it with the software your phone came with.

Run the Pictures application.

Choose your image.

Go to Tools / Set as Today Wallpaper

It will prompt you for the transparency level. Set it how you like it 0 = normal, 100 = totally faded.

Hit OK. Problem solved.
    I knew it was already there, thanks alot man. Problem fixed.

Carl, thanks for you help. I think the version I downloaded of theme generator was different from yours. Mine says 1.0, you were referencing 2.0. I appreciate the try nonetheless.