+ Reply to Thread

memory loss - HELP

Is there a program that tells how and where the memory on my pocket pc is being used?

What is "MsqQueueDataFileMicrosoft Statue Message SMS Protocal (Receive Only)" it appears 6 times under Windows @ 2.71 M each (16.26M total ) It will not let me delete it.

I have all my documents and most programs on an sd card, however it shows my memory for storage at 50.43 M
    I figure there must be something I can't see consuming the memory.
    I think a hard reset will probably fix this problem. Any other solutions ?

Re: memory loss - HELP

Originally posted by budd
    Is there a program that tells how and where the memory on my pocket pc is being used?

What is "MsqQueueDataFileMicrosoft Statue Message SMS Protocal (Receive Only)" it appears 6 times under Windows @ 2.71 M each (16.26M total ) It will not let me delete it.

I have all my documents and most programs on an sd card, however it shows my memory for storage at 50.43 M
    I figure there must be something I can't see consuming the memory.
    I think a hard reset will probably fix this problem. Any other solutions ?
    Try MemMaid - http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279 - and good luck! - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

These files exist on all of our phones (at that same size). They are message queues and supposedly do not occupy the space that file explorers see them using. A hard reset won't make them disappear or shrink.

Keep looking for the real memory hog...

those files are part of your unusable memory, just overlook them.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Try "where is my ram" wimr.exe freeware.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I recommend Space Reclaimer. Someone here recommended it to me and when I ran it the thing freed up 66MB worth of wasted space! And the program itself is uber-tiny, so you don't have to worry about its footprint.

http://www.valksoft.com/SpaceReclaimer.html

MemMaid is better than Space Reclaimer!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I love lamp

Well, I checked out MemMaid and Space Reclaimer and they are both slicker than my cheap program, but it is still not clear if any does more than emptying cache and temp files.

Not clear you can do much more than that except empty the Windows/messaging file, which neither seems to do automatically and is always good for 1MB or so.

I loaded both and will look at them since I am always running out of space.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

What apps do you have installed? I have about 15 or so apps installed (almost all to my 1 GB SD card) and have 48 MB of storage and 41 MB of program space free (with a 50/50 usage split of the 128 MB).

If that is not the issue, you may want to try tweaks2k2 (http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/index.php ). It has a feature which allows you to move shared .dll files from the \windows directory to the storage card. It moved about 5MB off board for me.

My office? Yeah, here in my pocket. DocsNotary's Avatar

Thumbs up MemMaid did the trick

Quote Originally Posted by sheureka
    Try MemMaid - http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279 - and good luck! - sheureka
    Wow! I tried MemMaid Quick Clean and here are my results:

Prior to use:
    Total main memory 125.71 MB
    Storage allocated 91.56 MB
    In use: 87.23 MB
    Free: 4.33 MB

Program Allocated 34.15 MB
    In Use 27.61 MB
    Free 6.53 MB

After closing all open programs, Program free 8.33 MB

MemMaid Cleaning Progress...
    Windows Temp Files 0 Bytes
    IE Cache Files 83.29 MB
    IE History (Files) 304 Bytes

Ofter using MemMaid:
    Storage allocated: 74.74 MB
    In use: 31.89 MB
    Free: 42.85 MB

Program allocated 50.97 MB
    In use: 25.70 MB
    Free 25.27 MB

I don't really understand why MemMaid implies that it's cleaning 83.29 MB of IE cache files, while I'm calculating my gain in free memory as 57 MB based on the unit's free memory display. But I'm thriiled about getting that 57 MB back.

In the past, I had navigated every folder I could find in search of files I could delete. I don't understand why this OS leaves so much junk behind and doesn't give you a way to find it and clean it up without a third party tool. Thanks, Sheureka, for pointing out MemMaid.

-Dan
    -DocsNotary

Quote Originally Posted by DocsNotary
    Ofter using MemMaid:
    Storage allocated: 74.74 MB
    In use: 31.89 MB
    Free: 42.85 MB

Program allocated 50.97 MB
    In use: 25.70 MB
    Free 25.27 MB
    I have found my pda seemingly slows to a crawl when I get less then 30MB free. I would strongly recommend moving some of your bigger files to your storage card (especially since PPC copies them to "program memory" prior to running, so the only delay is a slight hesitation when first loading the program up, and the speed the program runs at is unchanged).

In addition, change your IE cache location to the memory card (memmaid has an option to allow you to do this on the memory tweeks tab). This will prevent IE from robbing you of all your prgram memory again.