+ Reply to Thread

6600 Headaches (upgrade to 6700)

Cliffsnotes at bottom.....

I am currently on my 4th 6600 thru sprint (all replacements were defective). When I went to go get my 3rd replacement, it was broke, so they said they would go ahead and upgrade to the 6700. Well, they didnt have any, so they referred me to another store that had some and said that I could get it there. So I drive there and to no avail. All I get is another 6600. The manager there said that there was some confusion between the two stores somehow. I then call back the 1st store and inform them. The manager appologizes and tells me that they DO infact have 2 6700s at his store and that I could come by and get one. I drive back there, and guess what? I get another story from him and no 6700. He tells me to check another couple stores that have at least 5 of the 6700 in stock, and I do. When I arrive there, I enlighten them on my story, and get shot down there too and called a liar because they supposedly dont do upgrades. (BS)
    I call another store that has 7 of the 6700 and also no avail. They say that they have 0 and would call me back once they have time to check into it.

CLIFFSNOTES: I Am currently on my 4th 6600 cause they all have been broken. sprint promised me a 6700 two different times and renigged both times. I honestly would like to keep my 6600, but due to the fact of them pissing me off and making me waste a whole day on this driving and being on hold, I seek a 6700.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any advice?
    Last edited by crashnburn; 01-12-2006 at 04:56 AM.
    $100 G-1000 --->6600 (4 of em) --->6700 (2 of em)
    Thank you insurance :D

and so exactly what is breaking on them?

1st-screen stopped working
    2nd-headset didnt work
    3rd-volume slider broken
    4th-rattle inside phone

all of these were how i recieved them except the first. that took 2 weeks for it to stop working.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    My $.02:

Switch to the 6700 if you think it's a superior device and you want the functionality it provides, not because you're pissed at Sprint. Why change from a device you want to keep just to punish a major corporation who won't even feel the punishment?

If you want a 6600, stick to your guns until you get one that works. Be firm, be polite, ask for first/last names of the people you speak with, and keep a log of conversations if necessary. NEVER LOSE YOUR TEMPER OR MAKE THREATS.

If the effort to obtain a working phone becomes more onerous than the phone is worth, you'll probably reevaluate your decision to choose this phone - but at least it will be a decision made on a sound cost/benefit analysis, not one based on an emotional reaction that will pass with time. At the very least, keeping a log of your efforts to obtain a working phone will help you press a claim for compensation with Sprint (credit towards your monthly bill, or something like that.)

Nothing scares a mid-level manager more than a polite, firm, organized and dissatisfied customer who wants to continue a business relationship with his company.

Most people know that when you talk to a person at a sprint store you should get their name, tell them your name, and say ok I'll be there in a few minutes to pick up my phone from YOU.

I had to b*tch slap a store manager once with that as she tried to give me some BS.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Converged... I think Evil Genius's Avatar
    i agree with EnnuiEnthusiast, loosing your temper will not get things done. That even more true with someone on the phone, they will just hang up on you or transfer you to someone else.

I also agree the loss of your bussiness is not going to kill sprint. You are just a tick on some worksheet somewhere.

I have stayed completely calm over this whole ordeal. Ive collected business cards from the people that Ive talked to in person, and wrote a few of the peoples names down also.

I've had the same experience, crashnburn. I have phone #3 in front of me from lock line. Here's the long version of my story. For the short version, see the "cliffs notes" in the original post. It's exactly the same.

On 11/23/04 I bought the 6601 from Sprint. Wow, I was excited and happy. It came and seemed great at first, but it had problems like "the beep of death" and occasional lockups. Those were early adopter issues and I lived with them. Finding upgrades and patches on here helped me live with those issues.

On 3/24/05 I called technical support and said "the phone resets itself when I put it down on a hard surface." This is a hard reset, as in "all data spontaneously lost" reset. It happened at the worst times. It seemed to be caused by two missing screws. Do a search on this forum and you'll find other people who've had that problem. I was sent to the store for a Sprint technician to fix this problem.

On 3/25/05 I took the phone to a Sprint store for a technician review. After an hour of "fixing" and "testing" they jammed two screws into it, neither matched, and said it was fixed. Two minutes later, I was able to make the phone reset itself. They took it in back again and claimed it had "internal rattling". They refused to fix it. The phone looked new and didn't have a scratch on it. That made no sense.

On 6/25/05 I made enough phone calls to get a new phone. The 6601 was replaced with a 6600 because that's all the store carried. "Free" camera... sure, I was pleased with that idea, but reliability is more important.

I had the same runaround before getting this phone, where customer service told me to go to the store and pick up my new phone. Then the phone wasn't be in stock, then I'd be sent to another store that claimed to not have the phone. This went on for a day or two until I called a store, got the name of the person first, then checked stock, then asked the person to look at my account, then said I'd be in to get the phone.

When I got a new phone, I figured out that the internal rattling was really the volume control switch on the side! That's right, a brand new Audiovox 6600 will make a sound when you shake it! Try holding the shiny volume control slider with your finger and then shake... see what happens.

After a month of having the new phone, the included holster failed. The belt clip was apparently glued on... and the phone took a roll down a flight of stairs. Ouch! Worked normally after that, but had some scratches. By normally, I mean that it had its usual quirks.

Alas, on 12/20/05 I was fed up with the Audiovox 6600. During six months of use, the phone spontaneously reset twice. It also started locking up when receiving phone calls and placing phone calls. Sometimes I couldn't start the phone application at all. I went back to the Sprint store. They did tests and said everything was fine. I reproduced the problem just minutes later. The newest story from a supervisor or manager of some sort:

"Well, it's scratched. I see signs of abuse. That voids the warranty. You should file a claim."

Me: "But the phone isn't lost, stolen, or damaged. It's a software problem. I want the 6700 instead or I want my $650 + back."

Manager: "You should file a claim. They're all out of stock on the 6600. You'll get a 6700 that way. This phone is damaged. Look at my phone. <shows me his phone> This phone has never been dropped.

Me: "I'm very proud of you. That's very good." <walks out>

Okay so maybe I was a jerk with that last line, but I've put at least 16 hours into this phone issue.

A week after reluctantly filing the claim, I got a new phone from Lockline. I didn't have to pay anything for this new phone. Surprise! It's another 6600. I'd stick this new one on eBay and cash it out, but I highly doubt the eBay value is close to $600. I also don't even like dealing with eBay anymore. I just device that works more than it gets stuck.

This time around, I won't do any firmware upgrades. Maybe the "upgrades" break other things. Whatever happens, happens. Best of luck to anybody else suffering through their 6600. It's a great device when it works, but there are still annoying bugs.
    Last edited by RomieRome; 01-13-2006 at 11:16 AM.

any updates??? are they still shipping out 6700 for 6600???? i got my replacement a few days ago and it was a refub 6600 (broken wouldn't turn on)... called them back, they have a 6600 for me on backorder.... only hope its not broken...
    bup: !!!!!-LOVIN MY NEW 6700-!!!!! bup:

I suspect all that is left are old refurbed 6600s, which are likely to have latent defects if you get one. I prefer the 6600 and would go back to the person I bought my contact from in the first place to try to get a good one. If they salesguy is gone, get the store manager and say you would like to keep coming back... but would like some service.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    It's interesting that all these stories are of SPRINT customers... no Verizon horrors out there?

Ehud

Originally posted by Ehud
    It's interesting that all these stories are of SPRINT customers... no Verizon horrors out there?

Ehud
    Humm, yeah thats interesting. I bet my money thats there has to be some out there becuase Lockline not only manages sprin't insurance but also VERIZON, CINGULAR, and maybeT-MOBILE ... just a guess on the tmoible one.....

but lest get back on track here shall we..... any updates???

I'm with Verizon. My first 6600 had a few dead pixels near the Start button so I called up Verizon. They sent me a new one, I sent back mine and this one has been working fine for 6 months.

update

I finally got my 6700 after the 4th phone being defective with random hard resets. The ONLY thing I prefer the 6600
    over the 6700 is the screen. everything else blows it away.

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn
    update

I finally got my 6700 after the 4th phone being defective with random hard resets. The ONLY thing I prefer the 6600
    over the 6700 is the screen. everything else blows it away.
    The only reason I didnt upgrade to the 6700 was:

1. the screen is too small (landscape mode is pointless since it's square)
    2. The dumbed down Bluetooth (not as many options)
    3. Phone looks too plasticy. (kept looking for the button that dispenses candy)

Either way, I'm happy you're happy.