+ Reply to Thread

Woke up to find my XV6600 has turned into a brick!

I put my 6600 on the cradle last night, just as I do every 2nd night, got up this morning and saw that the red LED was on and nothing works. I tried a hard reset, still nothing. Swapped to another battery, nothing. Removed battery for an hour and tried again, still nothing.

Any ideas about what happened? Any suggestions on what to do before I call Verizon?

Thanks in advance!
    My history of convergence:

Audiovox Thera 2032 (mid-2004)
    Samsung i700 (9/2004-6/2005)
    Verizon XV6600 (6/2005-1/2006)
    Sprint PPC-6700 (1/2006-Present)

no ideas, sorry to hear... good luck and let us know

no clue on what might be the problem, but you might wanna try and put the phone in bootloader mode by doing a hard reset while holding the record button also, and seeing if you can load the shipped rom onto it.
    PPC6600
    2.04.00 WWE
    HA01_151 IS-683A+1xEV converted 10029 (with no EV entries :( )

had that happen once.

Might not help, but leave it in the charger overnight with the battery, and then try a hard reset.

Originally posted by tmarks11
    had that happen once.

Might not help, but leave it in the charger overnight with the battery, and then try a hard reset.
    I'll give that a shot tonight!

Isn't this the infamous RLOD?
    I remember reading that this was an issue with the 6700 and that some had also experienced it with the 6600.
    Apparently, it sometimes resets after disassembly and then recharging- as mentioned in the above posts. The following thread does recommend that one takes the battery out for a while before the overnight recharging.

PCS intel thread:Red Light of Death is a surprisingly common problem affecting Pocket PCs where when plugging in the device, the charging light turns red instead of orange. This indicates an error charging, but, at the same time, the device will not power on or reset in any way. This renders the device totally dead, unable to function at all.

I suspect it is because most Pocket PC manufacturers (former and current) order charging circuitry from one single company that has some manufacturing fault (or, a tolerance level that is high enough to make this chronic).
    Last edited by Trident; 01-13-2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

The charging overnight thing SHOULD help you out......

Switching the battery shoulda done something though...

It's happened to me a few times (not recently....) where you have a red light - and my only thought here is that it's not charging at all, but remaining in a powered on state (with all the "On Eternal Power" settings so it drains REALLY quickly...)till the battery is completely drained.

The only way out of this mess (for me anyways) was to use the wall charger - you'll probably still get a red light, but hit the power button and it should come on and turn yellow. (Unless I'm remembering this incorectly....)

I wouldn't use the cradle for this (though you MAY want to try to charge one of the batteries in the back charging slot thingy... and see if it'll bring your device back.)

The other thing I'm thinking.... take the battery off, plug in the thing to the wall charger, THEN put the battery on.

I can't remember WHAT exactly I did to fix it, but one of those worked....
    @#$@ upgrades... now I gotta write a new poem :rolleyes:
    <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8708895/">My I-700 makes YOUR phone look like poo.</a>

The only thing I can offer is that a dead battery plugged in will NOT turn on until it has somewhat of a charge (10-15minutes off the oem charger), but the light should be yellow during that time.

hope you had a backup

Well, I tried everything suggested here and nothing worked. So, I made the trip to the Verizon store where they swapped me out for a new XV6600.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help!

I just exchanged my xv6600 because the slightest touch to the charging port caused the phone to go RLOD, this spread to the spacebar, and keyboard and send/send/4way pad and app shortcut keys above when the phone was unopened. I have had to charge one battery in the cradle, because phone would turn off if I tried tom place it on the cradle or use the transformer dongle.