Closed Thread

PPC-6600 already have EVDO read

I use my PPC-6600 as a Modem everyday and I get the 236kbps connection icon as soon it register to the network.

But this morning I got connected at 4mbps and the internet was still slow at 143kbps on a speed test.

My sister used to work for Sprint about 2 months ago. by that time there were rummors that sprint was testing the EVDO here in Puerto Rico.

And I remenber my phone going out of signal and when the signal came back it said X1 on top of the display and then EV , the internet didn't work for me during that period, I called sprint to inform them about the situation and they told me to leave my phone on for about 5 hours so they can re-program my phone. The next day the phone work fine but no more X1 icon or EV icon.

it makes me wonder is the PPC-6600 already haves the EVDO necesary hardware but sprint won't allow the service un purpose so we buy the new PPC-6700 hmmmmmmm.

That connection speed is the USB speed from the 6600 to the PC. The HW is there but an actual installed upgrade is needed. there are NO 6600s that will connect to EV without an upgrade. Please read the other posts on this subject.

Also 143k on a speed test is within the range for 1x network speed.
    mmmmm.....Sprint Mogul....!

Originally posted by skippyrq
    That connection speed is the USB speed from the 6600 to the PC. The HW is there but an actual installed upgrade is needed. there are NO 6600s that will connect to EV without an upgrade. Please read the other posts on this subject.

Also 143k on a speed test is within the range for 1x network speed.
    But why my phone show it up the EV icon?, that means that there is no upgrade necesary , sprint just doesn't whant to enable the feature to this phones. They reprogramed my phone over the network in the 5 hours they told me to leave on. They changed my connection settings over the network, plus in those five hours the phone was downloading something.

I just think that there is no update necesary from our part, they just have to enable the EVDO feature to our phones over the net. because the EV appeared to me once and for a long period, but the internet didn't work

I beg to differ that no 6600 has EVDO. I know for a fact that mine does. I get up in the 2meg range when using EVDO. I see throughput in the high 180Kbps range. My provider does not have a system to do this other than EVDO.

.. attack of the newbies ...

dld

Originally posted by RacerX10
    .. attack of the newbies ...

dld
    No kidding!
    T.

EVDO is not hardware. With proper software, it can be done

could someone please close this thread...

EV-DO is a protocol that uses a combination of both hardware AND software which works together to make higher connection speeds. this is achieved through utilization of reserved bit sequences in the physical layer stack as well as multiple CDMA channels.

the 6600 has the first qualcomm chipset which offers EV-DO. i believe it is the 5500 chipset. there is no difference between sprint's or verizon's versions of the phone EXCEPT for software.
    go do a search for this on google, phonescoop, and cdmatech.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    So the qualcomm evdo chipset radio software version that first supported the radio where the bandwidth is 230Kbps on the USB connect or above is truly measured by a speed test site such as www.dslreports.com
    Last edited by Marty; 01-25-2006 at 11:49 PM. Reason: start of a flame war

closing due to flame war