+ Reply to Thread

VPN File Sharing

Ok, I've been searching for hours and cannot find the answer I'm looking for.

I have successfully established a vpn connection via cdma dialup to my home pc. I am able to activesyce (everything works fine).

For some reason I cannot get file explorer to locate my shared folders on my home PC. I get errors: "the netowrk path was not found" and then "Network resource cannot be found or you do not have permission to access the network". This is common problem, yet no one seems to have posted the solution.

It shouldn't be a permission issue, right? I am making an activesync connection so obviously I'm gotten access to my desktop. Obviously, I'm a n00b especially to networking. Any input is welcome.

edit: Something interesting I noticed - the "incoming connections" icon does not acknowledge a connection after I've connected via vpn, even when I'm actively syncing. There are no incoming logs through my router on the vpn port either.
    Last edited by 5harkology; 01-15-2006 at 02:40 PM.

anyone?

Sickwidit
    Are you using the netbios name of the machine in file explorer? With the built in file explorer you can't use the IP or fdqn of the machine. In some cases having a hostfile on the device helps, especially if you're not running wins on the network. You may want to also try a free network file browsers like netuse. Here's
    the link to pocket host. Give that a try.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Originally posted by that_kid
    Are you using the netbios name of the machine in file explorer? With the built in file explorer you can't use the IP or fdqn of the machine. In some cases having a hostfile on the device helps, especially if you're not running wins on the network. You may want to also try a free network file browsers like netuse. Here's
    the link to pocket host. Give that a try.
    I have done nothing with netbios (that I know of), like I said, I'm terrible with networking stuff. I did download the resco demo and have had no luck. It doesn't recognize either pc on my home network. I will give netuse a try when I get home, but I'm thinking if resco does work, netuse is not going to fix the problem. I am at least trying to narrow it down to whether it is a setting issue on the xv6660 or my pc. Thanks

In resco when I go to map drive, I get the following: No computer was found in the network. Check your network card or modify settings to specify your network subnets. Also I forgot to mention that I am using Pocket Host. Question about pocket host: do I want to use the internal IP of the PC i'm trying to connect to?

Sickwidit
    Yes you want to use the internal ip.
    Eric Hicks, Microsoft MVP, Mobile-Devices
    My Devices
    Four PPC6600's, One PPC6700, Three PPC6800's,One Treo 700w,One Jas Jar,One Pantec Duo,One T-mobile Dash...Do I have too many devices?

Activesync doesn't let you map network drives - it only proxies HTTP requests. That having been said, I've not been able to use a VPN connection (with or without activesync) to map drives on the host machine. I have a sneaky suspicion that it's due to the host machine not sharing it's drives over the VPN connection. I also haven't been able to map drives hosted on other machines on the home network (a capability I WOULD really love to have).
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

I've been messing around for about a week with VPN access to my home desktop computer for activesync and file access. I battled for a couple of days with "critical communication services have failed" errors with activesync, yet I could access files on the desktop machine.

I finally found the solution to be adding an entry, with pocket hosts, mapping my desktop machine to its internal VPN server IP address, not the IP address of its actual network adapter.

As mentioned in a prior reply, remote file access and activesync are not done simultaneously. I set activesync to "disconnect when done", so it doesn't interfere with file access.

For file access: If you setup the VPN as your "my work network" connection, you will need to connect to it (by poking the antenna icon and clicking "Connect VPN") prior to trying to access your network share. Then, with file explorer, Resco Explorer, etc. you can map to the shares on your desktop machine.

The issue I am still struggling with is accessing the rest of my home machines. I can see them (with Resco Explorer) and can ping them by name or IP, but not access shares them.

Originally posted by scott329
    I've been messing around for about a week with VPN access to my home desktop computer for activesync and file access. I battled for a couple of days with "critical communication services have failed" errors with activesync, yet I could access files on the desktop machine.

I finally found the solution to be adding an entry, with pocket hosts, mapping my desktop machine to its internal VPN server IP address, not the IP address of its actual network adapter.

As mentioned in a prior reply, remote file access and activesync are not done simultaneously. I set activesync to "disconnect when done", so it doesn't interfere with file access.

For file access: If you setup the VPN as your "my work network" connection, you will need to connect to it (by poking the antenna icon and clicking "Connect VPN") prior to trying to access your network share. Then, with file explorer, Resco Explorer, etc. you can map to the shares on your desktop machine.

The issue I am still struggling with is accessing the rest of my home machines. I can see them (with Resco Explorer) and can ping them by name or IP, but not access shares them.
    I seem to be doing everything you mentioned. Do you have your "My work network" setup to dial your router(network) ip? It seems to connect almost too fast for me. It does not show any logs on my router coming from my 6600 or anything using the vpn port for that matter.

I have started using the v-mobile file browser, which I've made a minor break-through with. When I "add computer" using the internal ip of my home pc, it picks up the name of my pc, but I cannot access my C drive which I have shared. Resco does not detect any of this and still gives me errors when I manually enter the local ip.

So I'm totally confused, my windows VPN connection is not showing a connected user, my router doesn't detect a connection, but I am grabbing my pc name via an internal ip so that proves it IS making a connection. Does this make sense to anyone? I hope so, cause its driving me nuts.

Thanks for your input guys!
    Last edited by 5harkology; 01-16-2006 at 11:56 PM.

One more observation: Under "My work Network" for setting up my VPN connection I noticed that when I tick the "this network connects to the internet" box it won't save. If I open it right back up, the check is not there. I have heard of this happening. Is this something I need checked anyway?

Originally posted by 5harkology
    One more observation: Under "My work Network" for setting up my VPN connection I noticed that when I tick the "this network connects to the internet" box it won't save. If I open it right back up, the check is not there. I have heard of this happening. Is this something I need checked anyway?

The configuration guides that I ran into said to check it, but I found as well that it would not stay checked. I think it will only stay checked if you enter proxy server info on that screen...

Cool Problems Accessing the local network

I have the same problem.

it says it cant find the network or I dont have the user access (same message as above)

Im running windows mobile 2003 on the samsung i700

Tried other programs recommended for exploring.

Cool registy editors and whatnot but no help for a new b whos trying to access the network and trying to be like james bond and hack into other peoples computers while they are hiding under the desk in some top secret lab clutching the pda phone. (like its a big deal)

But for real though.... anyone?

OK, as far as the box not staying checked.... keep trying it until it does.... this may take several attempts and also possibly a few soft resets. I believe this is a wm2003 bug. Not insurmountable, just a PITA....
    Last edited by A.D.; 01-31-2006 at 10:07 PM.
    I think we're gonna need a bigger hammer........