+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar

Opera Mobile for Pocket PC Beta Released

Opera just released the beta for a WM2003 (and 5.0) mobile browser at

http://www.opera.com/products/mobile.../winmobileppc/

It's a 5.45mb CAB file. It installed easily on my XV6600 (2.03 ROM). After launching, it notifies you that it's a 45 day trial version.

The program gives you several options for browsing, including full screen, fit to screen, image loading, and landscape. It uses a progress bar on the bottom of the screen instead of an animated icon in the upper right to display network activity and page loading. My first impression is good, but it's still a beta so I'm sure there are some "gotcha's". For instance, I like how it formats the PDAPhoneHome forum pages, but it seems to load slower than NetFront. I'm not sure if this is a function of the display mode I've chosen, the Beta code, or just a perception issue on my part.

I don't have a screen capture program on my PPC, so I don't have screenshots yet, but will post some later unless someone beats me to it.

Check it out.
    Last edited by EnnuiEnthusiast; 01-18-2006 at 07:16 AM.

Go sell crazy somewhere else ... austinbrady's Avatar

Really nice browser.
    Let me log in to my bank account.
    Only seen one displayed glitch so far.
    Seems to fully support java.
    I'm impressed.
    Thanks for the link and info.
    Best Regards,
    Peace and Prosperity
    Austin A. Brady

if you can read this you've selected text!!! :)

I've been waiting for this since I first heard rumors of it nearly a year ago.... IF this turns out to be nearly as good as it's hyped to be, or even if it's only slightly better than PIE and NetFront, I'll be more than happy to shell out a few $$ for it.
    I think we're gonna need a bigger hammer........

I can't get it to run - says I don't have enough memory. I've got over 60MB free, so unless this is an incredible memory hog that should be enough. Anybody else? - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    not impressed.
    i installed it and got some prompt that was about 5 screens wide and all the text was those box characters (usually when the font doesnt have those letters)
    so i clicked what i think said ok (it had 2 letters)
    then i tried gmail -the IE interface is actually better looking
    tried hotmail but couldnt sign in
    tried sprint.com (trying to challenge the browser -if sprints site works anything will)
    it a just signed into a blank page

tried it on a phpbb forum and it crashed after a few pages.

the multi window thingie and fit to screen may be the only features worth using it for but those features wont be enough to justify me paying for it.

im not saying pocketIE is better, just saying Opera mobile isnt impressing to me.
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

Beta = Buggy, but it's nice to see another browser out there trying to improve it's self.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Originally posted by sheureka
    I can't get it to run - says I don't have enough memory. I've got over 60MB free, so unless this is an incredible memory hog that should be enough. Anybody else? - sheureka
    A soft reset should clear up your memory issue. I had the same problem.

Tom

Originally posted by Jazz2000 A soft reset should clear up your memory issue. I had the same problem.
    Nope! Still doesn't work. I've used Thunderhawk since it first came out (four PPC's ago!), and think I'll stick with it. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Hi Tech Trader
    My best and cheapest browser alternative has always been logmein.com's remote desktop service, and then just use firefox. Pages load faster then Netfront, and the only thing I miss is streaming videos, which no pocket pc browser does anyway.

Still, it would be nice to see opera enter the field, if they can increase the speed and compatibility of it. Definitely one to watch.

ardint, thanks for the pointer to logmein.com..... but I have to ask, how is their service really necessary? I do essentially all the same stuff for free running XP Pro at home and using tsclient on my PPC.... as far as I can tell the only thing they provide is a packaged solution for a novice user. But with just a teeny-tiny little bit of work and maybe an OS upgrade, anyone can do the same thing for themselves with no recurring monthly charges, other than what they already pay for their wireless service and cable/dsl.

If you're running XP Pro, it's really simple to set up a remote desktop connection, access your home system remotely (and at the office, if the network admin permits), activesync, transfer files or use your home web browser, ftp client, etc when needed. With lesser OSes, you can use 3rd party software such as pcAnywhere to do the same thing, or even VNC (freeware).

Now, I concede the ease and convenience of their packaged solution, or other such services (Remotely Anywhere, etc)... but for the price of a year, 2 years, 10 years worth of their services, I'd rather find a similar solution without any recurring cost.... or even better, no cost at all if you run XP Pro at home.

***EDIT***

BTW, after reading over my post it may look like I'm being critical. I'm not.... I merely hope that either someone will enlighten me by pointing out something I overlooked, or even better, that maybe I can help a few others to realize that they can actually save a few bucks by doing it themselves.

*** EDIT (again) ***

and after reading yet a 2nd time, it occurs to me that my commentary doesn't really belong in this thread at all.... Mods please feel free to remove it. It won't hurt my feelings a bit, I promise!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by A.D.; 01-18-2006 at 11:44 PM.
    I think we're gonna need a bigger hammer........

Sorry to hear that some of you are having problems. If you're interested, Opera has a feedback forum opened.

For me, it's been working pretty well. I surfed for a while last night, with decent results. I'll echo my earlier comments about speed - faster than IE, slower than NetFront. Can't comment about other browsers.

I've had two issues so far. One spontaneous soft reset, and an issue handling frames for my corporate OWA. I resized the folder frame, and got some funky issues with the screen redraw.

Amir is right, Beta=Buggy, but I think there's some potential here. I like the Opera desktop and I'm interested in seeing where they take this.

Sheureka, I'm having the very same problem. Tried soft resetting, reinstalled twice but still get same error message you're getting when I try to open. I have +40mb storage and +40mb program memory available. Please let me know if you get it figured out.

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    I'm getting the same memory error message most others are getting, so I decided to uninstall Opera from my XV6600.

Now, Pocket IE won't remember any cookies. The feature is turned on, but I have to constantly re-enter my log-in info form Google mobile as well as other sites.

Originally posted by zagleft1
    Sheureka, I'm having the very same problem. Tried soft resetting, reinstalled twice but still get same error message you're getting when I try to open. I have +40mb storage and +40mb program memory available. Please let me know if you get it figured out.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

Blew UP my XV6600

Does not work at all on my device, even unistalled several apps to free up memory and still no go.

Went back to Multi-IE. Works sweet and I like the multiple pages features.
    XV6700- Awesome!

Hi Tech Trader
    Originally posted by A.D.
    ardint, thanks for the pointer to logmein.com..... but I have to ask, how is their service really necessary? I do essentially all the same stuff for free running XP Pro at home and using tsclient on my PPC.... as far as I can tell the only thing they provide is a packaged solution for a novice user. But with just a teeny-tiny little bit of work and maybe an OS upgrade, anyone can do the same thing for themselves with no recurring monthly charges, other than what they already pay for their wireless service and cable/dsl.

If you're running XP Pro, it's really simple to set up a remote desktop connection, access your home system remotely (and at the office, if the network admin permits), activesync, transfer files or use your home web browser, ftp client, etc when needed. With lesser OSes, you can use 3rd party software such as pcAnywhere to do the same thing, or even VNC (freeware).

Now, I concede the ease and convenience of their packaged solution, or other such services (Remotely Anywhere, etc)... but for the price of a year, 2 years, 10 years worth of their services, I'd rather find a similar solution without any recurring cost.... or even better, no cost at all if you run XP Pro at home.

***EDIT***

BTW, after reading over my post it may look like I'm being critical. I'm not.... I merely hope that either someone will enlighten me by pointing out something I overlooked, or even better, that maybe I can help a few others to realize that they can actually save a few bucks by doing it themselves.

*** EDIT (again) ***

and after reading yet a 2nd time, it occurs to me that my commentary doesn't really belong in this thread at all.... Mods please feel free to remove it. It won't hurt my feelings a bit, I promise!
    Cheers!
    Not to get off topic, but to answer your question, the main benefit I've found is (1) its free anyway, (2) they have good compression technology so speed of screen updates is very good and (3) most people (including myself) dont have a static ip, which only leaves a DNS service as our only option for easy TS access. My personal experience was that the free dynamic dns clients (I used dyndns) are cumbersome and sometimes problematic. This was my experience, I dont consider myself a novice, but I do remember that the two clients I found for upping my IP to dyndns had stability issues. Rather than go through the hassle of trying to find one that works, I simply use logmein's free service. No, its not as feature rich as TS (i.e. AS and transferring files), but I find it suits my needs.

That being said, if they eliminated their free service, then yes, I'd probably start looking for a DNS client again and set that up.

Has anyone solved the Launch issue: Opera.dll "Notenough storage is available to complete this operation."??
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Why yes, stop running hogs like Voice Command.

Ehud

Worked for me but definitely has bugs...

I loaded this up and overall I will buy this when it is formally released. That said, I have seen it act pretty buggy, it crashes completely if I go to yahoo mail. I also put it into full screen and couldn't get it out initially, didn't realize you could put it back through the tap and hold menu so it too a few minutes to figure it out. Otherwise it's definitely better than PIE from what I can tell.
    Tom

Overall, I'd say I agree with d2tw4all. There are a couple of additional things I'd like to see it do before I pay, but I like it. One cool feature I found is the built-in ability to exit Opera instead of just minimizing. Try hitting <ctrl>q on the soft keyboard sometime. (Don't bother telling me it's a lame tip because it's in the manual or online help or something. I found it myself, and I'm proud of that fact. True beta testers don't read manuals)

I haven't encountered the memory error on install, but I don't run Voice Command. I've found a couple of bugs, all of which are documented on the Opera support forum. A couple that really bother me:

* Gets pretty flaky when you lose connection. If the page has finished loading, it starts throwing error messages. If the page hasn't finished loading, it sometimes crashes & dies. No soft reset necessary, but you lose all open windows, etc.

* It does not like resizing frames in OWA at all. 1) It's hard to grab the frame border for the Navigation Pane in the first place. 2) After the drag, the redraw doesn't work properly. The if you shrink the frame, it will redraw the shrunken frame correctly, leave the message frame the same size, and add blank space to the right. If you expand the frame, it will redraw it correctly, but you lose the message frame entirely. Of course one can avoid this issue by using the "Fit to Screen" mode, but what would be the fun in testing that?

Things I'd still like to see:

* Persistence in landscape mode. Ideally, Opera would be state-aware of your display mode. If you start in document mode, and switch to landscape mode, Opera should switch you back to document mode when it is not active.

* Persistence of windows. When I close Opera, or even soft-reset, I should be able to choose if the windows I'd opened stay or go. It would be really cool if you could set this up in advance (i.e. I always start up with pdaPhoneHome and cnn, if I've opened my corporate OWA it will stay open, but any other windows should close.

* Customized display mode by (domain, page, whatever). So, for instance, switching to espn puts me in landscape mode, but google is in document mode.

* Custom refresh by window. This would fit in with persistence. Using that above example, I could have Opera update my OWA every 5 minutes, but pdaPhoneHome updates every 15 minutes. Updates happen in the background as long as Opera is open.

I've no idea if any of these will come to fruition (or if they are even feasible/advisable in the real-world), but it's fun to dream...

Quote Originally Posted by EnnuiEnthusiast
    Overall, I'd say I agree with d2tw4all. There are a couple of additional things I'd like to see it do before I pay, but I like it. One cool feature I found is the built-in ability to exit Opera instead of just minimizing. Try hitting <ctrl>q on the soft keyboard sometime. (Don't bother telling me it's a lame tip because it's in the manual or online help or something. I found it myself, and I'm proud of that fact. True beta testers don't read manuals)

I haven't encountered the memory error on install, but I don't run Voice Command. I've found a couple of bugs, all of which are documented on the Opera support forum. A couple that really bother me:

* Gets pretty flaky when you lose connection. If the page has finished loading, it starts throwing error messages. If the page hasn't finished loading, it sometimes crashes & dies. No soft reset necessary, but you lose all open windows, etc.

* It does not like resizing frames in OWA at all. 1) It's hard to grab the frame border for the Navigation Pane in the first place. 2) After the drag, the redraw doesn't work properly. The if you shrink the frame, it will redraw the shrunken frame correctly, leave the message frame the same size, and add blank space to the right. If you expand the frame, it will redraw it correctly, but you lose the message frame entirely. Of course one can avoid this issue by using the "Fit to Screen" mode, but what would be the fun in testing that?

Things I'd still like to see:

* Persistence in landscape mode. Ideally, Opera would be state-aware of your display mode. If you start in document mode, and switch to landscape mode, Opera should switch you back to document mode when it is not active.

* Persistence of windows. When I close Opera, or even soft-reset, I should be able to choose if the windows I'd opened stay or go. It would be really cool if you could set this up in advance (i.e. I always start up with pdaPhoneHome and cnn, if I've opened my corporate OWA it will stay open, but any other windows should close.

* Customized display mode by (domain, page, whatever). So, for instance, switching to espn puts me in landscape mode, but google is in document mode.

* Custom refresh by window. This would fit in with persistence. Using that above example, I could have Opera update my OWA every 5 minutes, but pdaPhoneHome updates every 15 minutes. Updates happen in the background as long as Opera is open.

I've no idea if any of these will come to fruition (or if they are even feasible/advisable in the real-world), but it's fun to dream...
    These are great suggestions, you should post them in the opera forums if you haven't already!
    Tom