+ Reply to Thread

Rom 2.04.00 / Screaming-Whiney Screen...are they Linked? Help Me Upgraders!

I just recently received my 4th unit from Verison. Every single one had an LCD screen that whined, see my post

Here

it occurred to me after this latest device started screaming, that when I first got them, they didn't scream...the only thing that is common to all of them, outside of a factory defect, is the fact that I put the 2.04.00 rom on all of them. The reason why I started to suspect the ROM Upgrade is because this latest device did not whine for 2 days....I thought I was in the clear. Last night I finally got around to putting the ROM on..and today, I noticed the screen scream...

So...all those that upgraded to the new ROM...did you notice any screen scream after you upgraded?

Thanks,
    Matt

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    I've been running 2.04 for many moons, and have never experienced this. I have replaced my phone once (loose keyboard), upgraded the new one, and also no problems.

Ehud

So, did you throw the standard ROM back on there after it started the whining to see if it stopped? Is it the backlight making it whine perhaps?
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

My Bluetooth is built in!
    I had my ppc6600 replaced twice for the 'screaming screen' issue. (I love that name) It was unrelated to the 2.04 update and is caused by an improperly grounded circuit in the LCD assembly. It is very common and I think most units will eventually develop it, all mine did. Not everyone can hear it but if you can it is infuriating.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Cool Update : Verizon will NOT give me a different unit.

So, I've had the new unit for 4 days now....no screaming screen...I'm going to give it another week, then try the 2.04 update. I'm still suspicious.

.....Flash back 1 week.....boodoodooboodooo....boodoodooboodooo....
    (waynes world)

After my 4th unit started screaming, I called Verizon again...and again...and again. My goal was for them to jsut give me a different unit, a 6700. I argued that the 6600 was defective, I could have hearing loss, I want another unit. I was tossed back and forth between Customer support and the Data Support guys several times. Here's the jist.

The DS guys said they would replace my 6600 till the cows come home but they canNOT send me another unit, only Customer Support can do that.

DS offered to send me a brand new, in the box unit and the store will excahnge it for a 6700.

The store manager said DS was on crack, they never return pda's after the 14 day grace period.

The CS guys said they can't send me a different unit without authorization, only the DS guys can do that.

The DS guys said they can't give authorization without CS's approval.

Finally, I got the DS guys to request a 6700. It will be forwarded along for approval.

DENIED. CS said they will only replace it with a new unit.

I read somewhere in this forum about a guy who had 8 units replaced and they finally gave him a 6700.

So I called the DS guys and requested my brand new unit. telling him my plan to make it REALLY painful for them replacing my unit's until they give me a different model.

So, I've had the new unit for 4 days now....no screaming screen...I'm going to give it another week, then try the 2.04 update. I'm still suspicious.

I'll keep you posted (ba-dum-bump) get it...posted...aaaah never mind.

Matt

I had mine for 10 months of abuse like dropping it in the street, garage floor, you name it. No problems at all until I had it in my pocket one nite and a chick got on top of me. Then right after I noticed it right away! I think you just need to apply pressure a certain way to the screen and it will start.
    http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
    AT&T HTC-PI86100 (HTC Titan II):
    OS: Windows Phone 7.5 Build: (Mango RTM 7.10.8112.7) - Radio: 1.02.80.13_21.37.80.03 - Bootloader: 1.18.2180.0 (139346)
    Audiovox 9000>Moto V60>MotoT720>LG5350>Sam I330>Hit G1000>PPC-6600>PPC-6800>PPC-6850>PPC-T7380>HTC-T7575>HTC-PI86100

Details Please! ;-D

a-ha-HAAAAAA!!!!!!

I didn't install the update... and today it started up again....

time to put my plan into action....

Make Verizon Feel The Pain