+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Transfer large file = ASync disconnect??

I'm trying to install Riven to my phone, and of course it tells me to do so on the storage card (duh!). So its going along and it gets about 20MB of the way through and.......... disconnects from my PC.

The PC seems to notice the disconnection right away, but the phone takes about a minute to catch up.

I've tried transferring the CAB file manually, same result. And always at the same point in the transfer too.

I can transfer over similarly sized TV shows without any trouble. But this game just won't install properly. Anyone have any ideas as to why? I'm really frustrated by this.

And for the record.
    Win XP x64
    ActiveSync 4.0
    direct USB 2.0 connection
    1 GB SD card with only 9MB on it so far.

Registered User EnnuiEnthusiast's Avatar
    Check this link out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...c/default.mspx

I'd guess that you have two problems. 1) You're running a product (AS 4.0) that is not recommended for the OS on your phone. 2) You're running a product with a known tendency to flake out during synchronization.

I'd recommend trying the install with AS 3.8. It might not solve the problem, but at least you'd eliminate a couple of known issues.

yes take off Active sync 4 and put on 3.8.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Can you use a card reader? Take the card out of PDA. Put card in reader attached to PC ($12 at Fry's). Load CAB to card from PC. Put card back in PDA. Install from card. A/S is notorius for flaking out on large file transfers, especially at around 19.9MB of a 20MB transfer.

Good luck
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Well, AS 3.8 is not an option since its not fully compatible with x64. And I guess I'll have to get a reader at some point, just didn't want to have to order one online and wait for it. I wonder why they can't seem to fix AS's flakiness.

i have this problem during BT Async connections, but never when using USB.

Originally posted by inteller
    i have this problem during BT Async connections, but never when using USB.
    This can actually be a much slower speed and can lead then to more errors in the transfer.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    What is it about the slower transfer rate of BT activesync that causes errors?

if you are trying to move large files to your pda use this program "http://www.softick.com/pocket-pc/cardexport2/" it makes windows recognize your pda as a storage card, so transfer speeds much higher than using activesync.

BT is radio which can degrade over distance or be effected by interference. If you are transfering large files via this method you are increasing the risk of corrupting the file or the transfer just not finishing.

Since your original premise for the cause of errors was due to the slower data transfer rate of bluetooth, I don't follow.

ok... so bluetooth transfers can be slower than the usb transfers, AND since it's radio it can be influenced by distance and interferience which can corrupt files during a transfer.
    not sure why you don't follow. Increasing the time it takes to transfer a file via a path that can loose data based on outside influences probably isn't the best way to go about doing things. I'm not saying you shouldn't, just saying it's not the best and the fastest.

Tried that pocket export 2 and it did the trick. Thanks manmz.

There is a related problem for me using Egress to download podcasts to the 6600. This software supposedly will download the podcast to your pDA using your internet connection through Activesync, but if you have larger files, it often fails. It is funny, but if I downloadfiles to my PC via Juice, then synch with Windows Media, there seem to be fewer problems. Unfortunately neither a card reader or pocket export are very convenient solutions for this problem. I could download directly over the air to Egress but since we do not have EVDO it is slow.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Originally posted by amirmckelvey
    This can actually be a much slower speed and can lead then to more errors in the transfer.
    So there is no relationship between transfer speed and errors, excluding other factors. Thanks for clearing that up.