+ Reply to Thread

Stand for watching movies on an airplane?

has anyone found a stand that will hold the PPC-6601 in landscape mode for watching movies on an airplane, etc.?

By then end of a flight my wrist is always cramped from trying to hold the device just right for viewing movies. I did some searching and the only thing I ran into was the multipivot stand, but I don't like the idea of having to stick velcro to the back of the phone to hold it to the stand...

*been posting a lot today and I feel like a troll...

I actually have a small rubber strip that I cut from an old mouse pad that I use. It's about 4 inches long and only maybe a centimeter wide. The bottom is rubber so it sticks nicely to most smooth surfaces, I prop my 6600 up against another object like a wall and then put the rubber piece in front of the 6600 to keep it from sliding.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

I have a Think Outside Bluetooth Keyboard that comes with a stand. Since it is detachable it makes the best solution for watching movies.

May not be work the $$ to buy the keyboard, but it is a nice stand.
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041

I've used a stand that came with a picture frame a couple of times. The stand itself was clear acrylic and not big at all. I just put the 6600 in the little 'divet' where the frame would normally go. You could probably find something similar at a table in a restuarant or at a bar...where they keep the menus and display promotions.

Not that I would ever advocate absconding with anything...
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

I use my Krussel case for this job, and it seems almost made for it. I have the small generic horizontal PDA case from Krussel with standard spring clip:
    http://www.krusell.se/product.php?prodGrp=2&s=2&product=711
    and I bought it from ExecutivePDA:
    http://www.executivepda.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.203/it.A/id.1599/.f

I think a few photos may help demonstrate how effective it is.
    I just take the holster off my belt and set it upside down on the tray table:

open the flap:

take out the device and set it inside the flap (but outside the holster):

From the top you can see that the spring clip props up the "stand":

So you can easily watch a movie in landscape mode:

This works really well for me, it doesn't slide around and I don't have to fiddle around with it. The angle it holds the screen at seems perfect for viewing. The only problem is that others nearby think it is so cool that I can watch whatever movie I want that they feel obligated to bother me and ask about it!

---Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stand for watching movies on an airplane?-2.jpg   Stand for watching movies on an airplane?-3.jpg   Stand for watching movies on an airplane?-4.jpg   Stand for watching movies on an airplane?-5.jpg   Stand for watching movies on an airplane?-6.jpg  

very nice! Thanks for the detailed info!
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Damn, that is a great idea. Too bad the included belt clip with that case sucks hardcore and I end up wearing it through the belt loop.
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

Thank you for posting... I just received that case based on some recommendations on the Forum. It just became my travel case!

I appreciate all of the pictures
    Verizon XV6600WOC
    ROM 2.07.00 WWE Radio HA01_151 ExtROM 2.07.112WWE HW.V. 0041

This is one of those forehead slapping "why didn't I think of that" moments. Thank you!

I tried this out with the stock case that comes with it and it works great. Yeah, I use the free case that came with it. No snickering!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearxor
    Damn, that is a great idea. Too bad the included belt clip with that case sucks hardcore and I end up wearing it through the belt loop.
    I've never cared for the belt attachments on any of the sideways mounted cases. I prefer the removable belt clip that spins around. Nice idea for a mini-mobile theater.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I've tried this with the Krussel case without the belt clip and it worked great too. Just have to unbuckle my belt to get it off.

Thanks again for the tip!
    PDA Phone History:
    Toshiba 2032SP (2003-2005) -> Hitachi G1000 (2005) -> PPC-6600 (2005-2006) -> PPC-6700 (2006 - 8 days to be exact) -> Treo 700wx

Heck no, I find it much more comfortable to sit.

(Sorry)

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaRaven

Heck no, I find it much more comfortable to sit.

(Sorry)
    Good one...

AN EDUCATIONAL MOMENT, BROUGHT TO YOU BY SeaRaven -

OK, guys... this is a good example of how you can have a little fun without flaming someone. SeaRaven gave us a humorous interlude from the discussion, but he didn't attack anyone to do it. Many of the flames that have been happening can be funny if you don't consider that someone is probably not thinking it is funny. No harm at all in this kind of comment, and it keeps the discussion light and not too clinical.

WE NOT RETURN TO YOU REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD
    Mike - Been Converged?