+ Reply to Thread

Anyone have experience with the Cell Phone/GPS locator?

How does this work? Do you have to pay someone to do this? Are there softwares you can use or online site that have basic locators for free or minimal charge? Thinking of getting the kids their own phones.
    Sprint PPC 6600 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 6900 -->?

Euphorically Confused
    Currently, the positioning program is only used by emergency services (for Sprint at least). I actually know someone who deals with this directly and he basically told me that the phones that are out now are not capable of real-time positon tracking becuase of hardware issues. From what I understand, the Sprint phone's radio would be overwhelmed if it tried to constantly track position (I could try to explain it better, but I am not 100% sure I could without causing more confusion because I do not know the absolutly correct terms and data). It would also kill your battery in a heartbeat (or slightly longer).

So, to your question, if you are asking if you could turn on tracking on your kid's phones to keep tabs on them the answer is no. Sprint will not even give information like this out, even to law enforcement agencies without a warrant and proper identification....see the sad story of the baby that was carjacked whereever that was. The parents knew a phone was in the car, but Sprint would not track it because Sprint could not verify who was calling in the tracking without proper procedure and a warrant. It was sad in that case, but imagine if a woman is being stalked and the stalker calls and says his wife is missing, here is the number, tell me where she is.
    Last edited by colonel; 01-27-2006 at 09:40 PM.
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

is this true for all carrier or just sprint?
    Sprint PPC 6600 --> 6700 --> 6800 --> 6900 -->?

While its illegal to do using just sprints software, there are smaller companys that offer this service using a similar method. I have a family member that is VIP and actually has a security detail. His kids, whom are 9 and 12, both carry a small cell phone in their bag. The phone can have up to 6 preset phone numbers on it, with no other means of dailing. Currently the kids can call home, their mom or dads phone, my cell phone, or my parents home. The carrier also offers tracking of the child which can be monitored over the internet if you wish. I know the service is rather custom and expensive - but if you're interested I can get the name of the company.

There are also other companys that produce a small device that doesn't have cell phone features, but does offer live tracking of a child. They're not as expensive. I guess they're big in asia where parents have their children carry them in their backpacks to school. I remember seeing that a company was trying to introduce them wide spread across the US this year for around 15 dollars a month. Don't know if its worth it, but then hey, I'm not a parent yet.

Junkie

http://www.wherifywireless.com/html/....asp?pageId=80

There is an example of what the first solution looks like - how ever the one my family member uses tracks through GPS and the carriers cell network. The one linked to above can only track the children while they're outside (but I guess thats good enough to know where they are).

Junkie

Euphorically Confused
    Quote Originally Posted by dannieboiz
    is this true for all carrier or just sprint?
    From what I understand, it is a hardware issue. So, I assume that the XV6600 is also not capable of this. Nextel does have gps tracking (I think) or at least a working gps on the phone. Since Sprint and Nextel are "merging" perhaps Sprint will integrate it.

The bigger issue here is privacy and security. Like I said in the previous post, it is a very touchy subject when you talk about tracking someone. Keeping track of your kids is one thing, but spying on a spouse or stalking someone opens up a lot of liability for the company. That is the concern on their end.
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate