+ Reply to Thread

How to make your brain hurt for no good reason

Having given up on figuring out how to access my home desktop via VPN on my 6600 (as mentioned in another thread), I got pcAnywhere going instead, and it does the job.

So I then cradled my 6600, which auto-launched Pocket Controller (a program that does the opposite -- lets you view and access your handheld on your desktop monitor). Then, I scrolled around in pcAnywhere till I was looking at Pocket Controller looking at pcAnywhere looking atPocket Controller looking at pcAnywhere looking at Pocket Controller looking at pcAnywhere .... like when you hold a mirror up to another mirror and the image keeps getting smaller toward a vanishing point. It's a bizarre effect and a challenge to figure out just what exactly you're looking at. When you scroll around, it gets all freaky. Anyone who has both programs and absolutely nothing useful to do with their lives might want to give it a look.

Here's a screen grab of it to give you an idea:

The long-range view:

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    OK, believe it or not, I... the founder of this site, basically only uses my 6600 for a phone, appointment book, contact list, occaisional email and web, and GPS. Lately you guys have really been enticing me to take this to the next level. This remote desktop thing really intrigues me. How usable is that? How quick to move around and such? I don't have EVDO year yet either.

Also, please bring your signature into compliance... 3 lines or less. Thanks.
    Mike - Been Converged?

My only drawback to PCAnywhere is that it's not so cheap!
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Hi Tech Trader
    Convergent-

Its VERY usable. I'm on 1X, and my personal preference is LogMeIn Free. I have only a small about of lag. It does not allow for file transfer, but it loads the entire screen onto your PDA, and thus if you resize to a different zoom, or scroll around, or even rotate the screen, the result is done entirely on your PDA and not on the server, thus its instantaneous.

There are other options, but none are as simple to setup, and free. There are paid options, but all they will add is remote file transfer. if that is not something you'll be doing, then use logmein Free. If it is something you need, then check out Logmein's paid options, as well as the competition.

I have made a few posts lately endorsing LogMeIn.com, so let me say that I AM NOT affiliated with the website or company in any way. I am just a really satisfied user.

i myself havn't tried pcanywhere but, may i suggest you take alook at logmein.com. That is the program that i use daily. just install the program on how many ever computers you wish, log in to logmein.com from your harrier and enter your personal passwords for your specified computer that you wish to access. There are two differnt versions of the software. one is free (i use that one) which give you remote control acess to you home pcs and then the one that has the fee is the same except it allows you to transfer files directly from your pc to you pda. i just email the files to myself. lolTake a look. Its a great program. the lag ive estimated is around a 2-4 second delay from pc to pda. if that but, then again. I do have edvo so dunno about 1x speeds. Take a trial run. Once you create an account, you get 1 month of the premium package. no credit cards or nothing needed, Enjoy =)
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Sounds a little scarey on the security front... so you are putting the info required to get into your home or office PCS into this web based app? I think I'd rather have a client to client system, than one that relies on a 3rd party web application. Just sounds a little risky.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I use both terminal services and vnc, both of which work very well and don't present the security concerns that 3rd party services might.
    Tom

I agree with Tom - I remotely access my home computer from my Sprint PPC6600 regularly using the integrated Terminal Services Client and Windows XP Pro's Remote Desktop Connection. It is simple and reliable, no 3rd party, no additional costs. I don't have EVDO (hope I will one day) but I am able to move around my home computer with relative ease and accomplish what I need (usually a file transfer) in a reasonable amount of time.
    ---Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Convergent
    This remote desktop thing really intrigues me. How usable is that? How quick to move around and such? I don't have EVDO year yet either.
    Remote access to your home PC is pretty cool and quite useful.

For example, the ability to remotely transfer files essentially turns my 6600 into a 300GB MP3 player, except that there is a wait while I delete music from my 2GB storage card and download new music from my home hard drive. I guess it's more like a 2GB MP3 player with a 300GB "attic." I envision having a ready library of shrunken movies and TV episodes on my hard drive, too, that I presume could be transferred remotely. (Of course, there are ways to stream music from your PC, but that has its own costs and limitations.)

Also, accessing apps on your home PC remotely is great. You can use full-function e-mail clients and Web browsers that way on your handheld, although they don't fit and wrap to the screen, so you do have to scroll around more than with PPC apps.

One thing I'm planning to try: Remotely mount images of my GPS map CDs on virtual drives on the home PC and access them to swap out the maps on my PPC whenever I need them unexpectedly on the road.

I've tried pcAnywhere and logmein.com. Impressions: The interface of logmein is much better than that of pcAnywhere, and the lag is almost insignificant on logmein, whereas pcAnywhere's lag can be a little annoying and problematic, even at EV-DO speeds.

However, I am concerned about security vulnerability with logmein.

I'm trying to figure out how to use a VPN and Remote Desktop instead, as mentioned in another thread.
    Last edited by SeaRaven; 01-29-2006 at 11:58 PM.

The mirror-in-mirror is effect is even cooler with Logmein than with pcAnywhere.

When you close Pocket Controller pop-up menus, they fly down that tunnel and disappear into infinity.

Can't live without my PDA #1 gadget girl's Avatar
    Remote access to your home PC is pretty cool and quite useful.
    Has anyone checked out orb.com for this? It works really well.
    PPC-6600 with Sprint Service

Hi Tech Trader
    Gadgetgirl,

I second that. For all things media, I use orb. For everything else, I use logmein. Its secure enough for my non-business needs.

For my business needs, I keep everything I need on my phone. If I have to use remote desktop for anything professional, that means I'm not doing my job right.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try Orb.

One thing that concerns me about streaming media, though, is that Verizon seems to frown upon it. Anyone know if Verizon actually enforces any restrictions on streaming media to the pocket PC?

Holy cow. Orb is amazing! I didn't realize how well it would work.

verizon hasnt said anything to me about streaming from orb. Atleast not yet lol
    Verizon- XV6600
    ROM v. 2.03.00 WWE
    Radio v. HA01_151