+ Reply to Thread

PPC 6600 camera horrible!?

Hi, I looked on here and other places but I could'nt find anything about my question. I just got a PPC 6600 yesterday and when I use the camera I notice it has dots and the picture looks bad and it's the same with video capture I know it's a camera on a phone but still I use it a lot and the pictures look pretty bad. Does anyone else have this problem of a bunch of colored dots? It really bothers me. Thanks for any help.

It's totally not a top of the line camera. For good pictures I use a digital camera. For quick, not real important ones I use the phone.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Well that sucks but I guess I'm used to my old Samsung A880's megapixel camera but maybe I'll do some more research and see if there's anyway to make it better. Thanks for the reply.

its definitely not a great camera....good for tight situations where you dont have anything else.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Camera phones are in no way supposed to be a replacement for a real digital camera. The primary use is for simple opportunity shots, fun shots, etc. My wife will use it if she's in a store and wants me to look at an antique or something before she buys it... or I've grabbed a shot of something to show someone. This is not what you use to take the annual family holiday picture for greeting cards.
    Mike - Been Converged?

There are, however, a lot of adjustments that can be made with the camera that may help. You might experiment with some of them to see if the quality improves for your particular usage. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

I rarely use the camera in mine, and I agree it is a minimal camera. But, I don't notice any spots. If you're getting polka dots, something is wrong.
    Stairman

I hope nothing is wrong but yeah there are polka dot type spots but I really love the phone and I tried adjusting the camera but I really could'nt figure out how. I played with a 6700 and the camera was AWESOME!

Sounds like yours is kind of broken there... didn't see the part about the spots when I responded.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Are you getting the spots in all of your pics or is it dependant upon how much lighting you have? Most of my pics look good unless it's low light and to far for the flash to help.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600--> PPC 6600

Well I hate to hear that because I just got it but if I can I'll try to post a pic I took and you guys can see.

Heres some pics

Well heres some pics and you guys can see what I'm saying and can judge these pics yourself but I really hope theres nothing wrong with my phone. P.S. I forgot which ones which but one I used flash and the other I did'nt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PPC 6600 camera horrible!?-image_00001.jpg   PPC 6600 camera horrible!?-image_00002.jpg  
    Last edited by kel420; 01-28-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Those seem to be under low light/unnatural light. How do your pics look when you take them outside. I think the ones you posted don't look very good (and they appear to be out of focus).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600--> PPC 6600

They do look better in more lighted places like outside but I'm still getting to know this phone and I can't quite figure out how to adjust the camera yet.

Don't forget you also have a larger screen...Other phones may look better do to screen size..
    But all in all it is like the old disposable cameras you mailed in to get the pics developed...just a quick photo because I do not have my good camera!
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

*sigh* someday a truly converged device will also have a 10mp camera.

*sparks*

Well being a photographer, I have no desire to have a 10MP camera on my phone. There is really not much point in having more than a couple MP on a phone, because you will never have proper optics, and other features that are required to take real high quality photos. I also don't want the cost of the PDAPhone being inflated by several hundred additional dollars to pay for a high end imaging chip and processor. I'm sure some will disagree, but I don't see that as being practical.
    Mike - Been Converged?

in outdoor situations w/ sunlight the 6600 camera is nearly ok.... indoors don't really even bother...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Well this might be a really dumb question but I thought I'd put it here instead of making a brand new thread anyway does anyone know or ever heard of something that can upgrade the camera or make it better? Like a software or something. I know it's a camera on a phone but I use it alot and it's not bad in lighted places but still, although I read the manual and figured out how to make most of those dots go away (I just turned the saturation I think it was down to 40). I'd also like to say this forum has been very helpful to me so far.

My Bluetooth is built in!
    ^^ not really, just keep the lens free of dust and try to use it in a lighted area.
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.