+ Reply to Thread

Config.txt in Extended ROM

Greetings,

I have done some reading on the subject but I have been unable to find out exactly what I am looking for.
    I am looking for an exact explanation on what line is what program in the CONFIG.txt file in the extended ROM

Here is a copy of the txt file:

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPDisable.exe
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\EraseREG.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\rtp_harrier.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\IOTA.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\IOTA_6600.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Customize.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Patch.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Ringtone.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Qwerty_Indicator.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\ExpressInROM.arm.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\WTLAudiblePlayerPocketPCAudiovox6600.arm.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\CameraAlbum.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\CallerID.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\PictureMail.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Version_WWE.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\getmail_sprint.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\XML.sa.CAB
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AutoLock.exe
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AddContacts.exe
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPEnable.exe
    RST: Reset

I would like to weed out some of the un-required programs. Then do a hard reset to have a clean as possible unit to in stam my wanted programs. I have figured out some of them but not all.

Any input would be welcomed,

Da_hammer

well, get rid of audible, and if you dont have picture mail on your account get rid of that too.

Thanks....I did see those two.....

If i am going to do this I would like to get as much as possible.

Da_hammer

Quote Originally Posted by da_hammer
    Greetings,

I have done some reading on the subject but I have been unable to find out exactly what I am looking for.
    I am looking for an exact explanation on what line is what program in the CONFIG.txt file in the extended ROM

Here is a copy of the txt file:

EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPDisable.exe
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\EraseREG.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\rtp_harrier.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\IOTA.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\IOTA_6600.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Customize.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Patch.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Ringtone.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Qwerty_Indicator.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\ExpressInROM.arm.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\WTLAudiblePlayerPocketPCAudiovox6600.arm.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\CameraAlbum.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\CallerID.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\PictureMail.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\Version_WWE.sa.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\getmail_sprint.CAB
    CAB: \Extended_ROM\XML.sa.CAB
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AutoLock.exe
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\AddContacts.exe
    EXEC:\Extended_ROM\TPEnable.exe
    RST: Reset
    TPDisable and TBEnable are just small apps that disable the touch screen during the install process so you can't interrupt it. Since you're knowledgable enough to be customizing your extrom you don't really need that "babyproofing".

I'm not certain what EraseREG is. It's been six months since I last messed around with my 6600 extrom so I've forgotten. Whatever it is it's doubtful it uses up any space, so I'd leave it unless someone else can chime in as to what it does (obviously affects registry entries).

rtp_harrier has something to do with ringtones, and unfortunately that's all I remember about it.

The two IOTA files you should definitely keep. IOTA is (Initialization Over The Air) and is how Sprint provisions your phone for Vision access. Truthfully it should only need to be run one time (when you first program your phone), but plenty of people have had the need to run it again due to some glitch. I suggest keeping it (or you could store the cab files on your SD card to install in case you need it).

The customize cab has the meat of all the Sprint configuration that goes onto your phone. This includes things like the Sprint logo as well as registry entries that set up your Vision dialup connection, phone app customizations, etc. You should definitely keep that cab.

Patch is a bluetooth patch (I think!). Again, it's been a long time so maybe someone else can correct me if need be.

Ringtone.sa.CAB has to do with roaming. Just kidding. It obviously has something to do with the ringtones, but I can't remember if it is just registry entries setting up the various Sprint sounds or if it actually contains ringers. You could probably tell by seeing how large it is.

QwertyIndicator sets up the needed entries to show the little words on the screen when you're in Shift or Alt mode. Highly useful (I know because my 6700 doesn't have it and boy is it a PITA).

ExpressInROM--dump it. It's some stupid 3rd party app that I found utterly useless. It's your call, but I'd "yank it like you're starting a mower" (kudos if you can identify that quote).

Audible player was already identified.

CameraAlbum installs and sets up the camera and album (viewer) software. If you have a PPC6600 then you should keep this. If you've got a 6601 then dump it.

CallerID is the photo caller ID software app. IIRC the version in the ROM is pretty buggy but if you use it keep it, otherwise you can delete it.

PictureMail was already identified.

Version_WWE is pretty useless... it just sets a registry value to indicate the version of the extrom you're on. However, it takes up hardly any space so you may want to keep it around (it certainly doesn't hurt anything). Your call.

getmail_sprint is Sprint Business Connection, IIRC. If you use Business Connection (it's an extra monthly charge) then you may want to keep this. Otherwise get rid of it.

XML sets up the other half of the Sprint Vision dialup connection on your phone. You should keep it unless you want to set up the connection manually.

AutoLock.exe... hmmm I forget about this one. Doesn't it enable buttonlock? Someone else will have to chime in here on that one.

AddContacts.exe simply adds a contact for Sprint Customer Care in your address book.

Hope that helps.

I was never here. Disgruntledtech's Avatar
    my notes on the EXT rom:

\Extended_ROM\Customize.sa.CAB - Adds the SprintPCS Vision Connectoid, Registry Settings related Text messaging errors, Phone On/Off sounds, Activation Wizard, IEs Home Page, Various Logos and the Link for the Sprint keyboard button
    \Extended_ROM\ExpressInROM.arm.CAB - Installs HandMark Pocket Express 30 day Trial Download Link (news weather sports stocks)
    \Extended_ROM\getmail_sprint.CAB - Installs Get Biz Con (pretty useless since its just a link)
    \Extended_ROM\IOTA.sa.CAB - Installs Security Certificate, DLLs and various registry settings for IOTA
    \Extended_ROM\IOTA_6600.sa.CAB - Adds Make/Model Information sent during IOTA (dunno if filename changes for 6601)
    \Extended_ROM\Patch.sa.CAB - Installs the Location indicator Today plugin, The Wmodem Program(phone as modem), and the Helpfile for control panel
    \Extended_ROM\Ringtone.sa.CAB - Installs the default ringtones
    \Extended_ROM\rtp_harrier.cab - Installs the ringtone player in Settings->System tab
    \Extended_ROM\Version_WWE.sa.CAB - Adds ROM version to the registry i dunno what for
    \Extended_ROM\XML.sa.CAB - adds the picturemail account to the email application
    Create DialPad Skins for your 6600 with SkinGen

perfect......this is what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the great info,

da_hammer

wow, there is a bunch of crap that can come out then.