+ Reply to Thread

The fate of my 6600

hey guys. long time reader, occasional poster. Got my 6600 from verizon back before they could be bought at stores, then upgraded to the version with the camera, and have loved the phone.

Alas, it eventually had one drop too many. A crack started on the screen, which has grown and I can no longer use the screen as a touch screen. i have really learned the buttons of late!

So I go to verizon to order a new one... and they are out of stock.... and they dont think they will be getting any more because the 6600 is being phased out.

grrr. I love this phone. They suggest I upgrade to the 6700 ( http://www.mobiletechreview.com/Verizon-XV6700.htm ) , which is nice, and my insurance company probably will go for it.

the 6700 is nice. it has built in wifi ... but the keyboard slides out the side, and the screen is a little smaller. It also takes a mini-SD card, so I wouldhave to buy a new card ( and a new holder for my car, new screenprotector and a new case ).

I can likely find a 6600 at another store or online... what do you guys think? given the odds that insurance will cover my switch, should I hunt down a 6600, even though they are being phased out, or should I upgrade to the 6700?

thanks for your thoughts.

If you really like the screen size, I would stick with the 6600. If you think you could handle a little smaller screen, then I would just do the upgrade.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600--> PPC 6600

Hi Tech Trader
    Probably wont be able to get one easily since they're being phased out, as you said. Best bet is to get a 6700 as your replacement, then sell it on ebay, take that money and buy an ebay 6600 and keep the change. Definitely more work, but the only way you can be sure to get your 6600 with no out of pocket expense.

you should call around to all the verizon stores in your area to see if any of them have a 6600. Most verizon stores I have seen in Buffalo NY still have 6600's on display.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Hate to break it to ya but the insurance company can get phones that VZ is not sending out...They can get stock up to 6 months after it is removed from the shelf...You may want to ask them before you get your heart set on something.
    Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Coraan hello:

i have a 6600 with cam for trade for a 6700 if you want.

i have car charger too

I have a Sprint PPC6600 w/camera, 4 months old, 2 sync cradles, car charger, ac adaptor, plus cash to trade for a Sprint 6700.

lol you would have to give me money and a 6700 for me to give up my 6600.... but that's just me...
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Can't live without my PDA #1 gadget girl's Avatar

Question Same question

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I dropped it and it now has 5 cracks across the screen. Went to the Sprint store and they offered me a free upgrade to the 6700. I told them I didn't want it, that I wanted another 6600. Luckily for me, they could still order me one; it is due in tomorrow.

But after ordering the replacement, I couldn't help thinking whether or not I should upgrade. I do a lot of web browsing and definitely would enjoy the faster speed, but then again I know I would hate the small screen! It's a toss-up. Lose screen size, but gain speed.

I also use it for a whole lot of PDA functions without the use of the Internet, so maybe I should just stick with the 6600. What do you guys think?
    PPC-6600 with Sprint Service

PPC Friends,

I bought my XV6600 last October 2005 and its been a dream of a ppc for me! I also have the insurance on the phone but my question is if I drop the phone and it breaks, someone steels it, does this mean I automatically get a updated phone like the XV6700?

Only one con that I see is the sd mini card when I already have 3 1gb cards... that would bite!

Tvos

I don't know how it works for other carriers besides Sprint or why they offered me an upgrade.

I just posted mine on craigslist

I love my 6600 but I seem to be using it less and less these days (been carrying my razr). So I decided to sell it.

#1 gadget girl: I would just stick with it. If you use the pda side a lot and like the larger screen, I would just keep the 6600.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600--> PPC 6600

well I decided to update.
    the downside was:
    6700 has a smaller screen
    Have to buy a mini-SD (2gb for 135)
    Have to buy a new car holder (35 from proclipusa)
    Have to buy a new case (55 piel Frama)

but on the positive side:
    Faster PDA
    Smaller form/not as bulky
    larger keyboard for the rare occasion I use it
    newer technology
    bluetooth works ALOT better
    built in Wifi - no more data plan!
    Upgraded version on Windows Mobile - that was the biggest sell to me. With Sprint and Verizon phasing out the 6700, I know that phone will get less love on the technology side, and as time goes by, newer programs will not put forth the effort for older versions of windows mobile.

I will let you guys know how it goes. On a side note, using my home insurance was a big win.

I have a computer package added onto my USAA home insurance. It covers up to 3 grand worth of cumpeter equipment and includes PDAs.
    They cut me a check for a 6600 retail, minus my deductable (like 549 I think).
    I was able to get the 6700 with a new 2 year plan for around 300. the extra money is going to replace the accessories i listed above.

That's good that you were able to weigh your pros and cons.

I made a decision also, I'm sticking with the 6600. Got my new one the other day and it was like having an old friend come over for dinner.

Coraan,

The only thing that I would be upset with is the SD media and having to switch to mini-sd. The one thing that I've noticed is that the keyboard is ackward as the XV6600 that pulls down and illuminates is cool and usefull. The keyboard on the 6700 looks like it would be a bother and having to execute landscape everytime you would to IM or type.

I know it comes down to perference and for a free upgrade what the heck! Wouldn't be nice if audiovox could implement gps into the ppc as well - wonder why they keep holding back?

Tvos

Quote Originally Posted by tvos
    The one thing that I've noticed is that the keyboard is ackward as the XV6600 that pulls down and illuminates is cool and usefull. The keyboard on the 6700 looks like it would be a bother and having to execute landscape everytime you would to IM or type.

Tvos
    I am using a XV660 and my Boss just upgraded to the XV6700. the cool thing about the 6700 is it auto landscapes the screen when the keyboard is slid. and the keys are actually big enough to use.
    I seem to Graffitti everything, because i can't use the tiny keyboard on the 6600.

Well after using my new phone for about a week... I am glad I made the switch.

It just fits so nicely in my hand. I do not have my case yet, but a lot of people just slides it in their front pocket because it is so small.

I thought I would miss the 6600's screen, but I havnt...

the keyboard? I actually use this new keyboard, where i didnt use the keyboard much on the 6600 (keys were too small)

I am really loving the wifi.. as i dont want the expense of a data plan. I have wififofum (shows a radar of wfi) and I cant believe how many hotspots there are.

here is a con.. I am now doing some registry hacks... and naturally would like to backup... but there is no backup for the 6700, and you can buy one that works, for $30.

I dont mind the expense for the new miniSD card, because I am increasing to a 2gb, and my 1gb SD card will either go to my digital camera or a usb jacket to be used as a flash drive.

Speaking of cameras.. I like the camera button location on the 6700.. it is like taking a photo with a digital camera.. works nice.

One more pro and con - the cradle is very difficult to squeeze in and out of.. it sticks alot - but because the connection is a mini USB, I can grab a USB cable and plug it into work PCS for connection or just to charge it.. very ice.

I hope this feedback helps someone... thanks for the replies guys.

as a side note pocketpctech can repair your 6600. i had a cracked screen and no insurance. pocketpctech did a great job fixing my phone. i'll be able to stretch the the use of my repaired phone until i'm eligible to upgrade in december. i hope you enjoy your new phone.

TOV
    The Entertainment Industry Chaplain TOV's Avatar
    Well, I have loved my PPC6600 with Sprint. But after a weekend of unexplainable hard resets, getting it to work normally again, then having two days of constant soft resets followed by a hard reset and my having to reflash the original ROM to get it working again...I walked into my Sprint store, paid my $58 and have a 6700 on the way.

Besides...I'm tired of waiting for EVDO.
    TOV - The Entertainment Industry Chaplain