+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar

Ehud (and others) were right!

I'm normally a big fan and proponent of things Microsoft ... (waiting for boos and hisses ...), but I'm gonna have to go with Ehud on this one ...

Voice Command is the Devil!

It's sexy, works better than any other product of it's type, but, man, it screws with my XV6600. I have always had problems with Wisbar Advance 2, Microsoft Reader, Resco Photo Viewer, Bejeweled 2, EnCircle ... I guess the list could go on and on if I took the time.

Anyway, Ehud, my apologizes for not listening and believing you sooner.
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

When 2.25 MB of DLL code space is enough to cause virtual memory exhaustion on your device, it may not be VC that is the devil.

Have you seen the Treo 700w yet?

I know VC has issues. But I'm willing to live with it, to me, it makes the phone very practical. The more apps you run the more VC may impact the overall system.

There are only 2 critical apps for me. VC and GPS. I could live without everything else.

voice command is flawless for me. i use it daily and frequenly.

the only issue i've seen with it is some missing icons in config, and that's just on occasion.

i won't have another device without it.

dld

The most major problem I've had is when I was running VC and SPB PPlus. I took both out and saved a lot of memory problems. But I missed VC and have recently put it back in. I guess I'll live with it.
    The only game that I have to soft reset to play is Bejewelled2, I'm starting to think it's more a BJ2 issue than anything else, because 50 other games open without a hitch.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

I am also indebted to E and others who pointed out how Voice Command can cause problems. In a perfect example of how this forum functions in sharing information, that tip helped me determine that I could run certain medical software and even use Sprint's PictureMail once Voice Command was disabled. I am dependent upon Voice Command to allow me to dial while driving and to update me on where my next appointment is. It works extremely well without any training, a quantum leap better than Fonix did on my G1K. I'm posting this so that any user on the edge will go ahead and give it a try -- don't be frightened. If it interferes with something you're running, it's one quick soft-switch to disable it.
    ---Randy

VC is invaluable to me! So I can't ditch it! And I love the SPB PPlus features. All my programs work great after a soft reset.......UNTIL I start using VC! Then my GPS or resco picture viewer or bible program, you name it won't open and again.....it's soft reset time.
    What a love / hate relationship!!!!!!!
    Z1
    Verizon xv6600

Quote Originally Posted by Catman51
    The most major problem I've had is when I was running VC and SPB PPlus. I took both out and saved a lot of memory problems. But I missed VC and have recently put it back in. I guess I'll live with it.
    The only game that I have to soft reset to play is Bejewelled2, I'm starting to think it's more a BJ2 issue than anything else, because 50 other games open without a hitch.

I am a Beta tester for Astraware and have been playing Bejeweled 2 since it was in Beta WITH Voice Command installed and haven't had any issues. Must be some other program conflicting or a combination of the two...
    Ever had "one of those days"? I'm having "one of those LIVES!"
    XV6800, XV6700 AND an XV6600, Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset, Jabra JX-10 Release 2, Aliph Jawbone, Motorola H700, Motorola H850, Jabra BT800, Sony HBH-660, 2 GB SD

For what its worth, I have VC, SPB PPlus, SBSH Pocket Weather, Sprite Backup, Skype for PPC 2.0, Agile Messenger, VITO Button Mapper, Flow Simulation Calc98, HP Mobile Printing, GS Player, Real Player, Resco Explorer, Socket SD Wifi card, Virtual Earth Mobile, and XCPUScalar all currently installed. I have SPB PPlus and SBSH Pocket Weather on my today screen. The ONLY issue I have is after a scheduled Sprite backup to my SD card finishes and I soft reset like it says, my VC button won't work. VC will work, but not with the button I've assigned. I soft reset again, and its fine. For me, thats not too big of a deal.

One piece of this thread I agree with is that I have recently removed Wisbar Advance and there is no doubt my 6600 runs faster. I forgot why I installed it in the first place.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

I cannot live without VC. i love it.
    One thing that it really screws with is skype.
    i use skype on a daily basis and in order to use it i have to turn off VC , soft reset and then start skype.
    annoying.
    Tanguy de Courson

OHHHHHHH GODDDDDDD!!!!! Can't anyone find a FIX for all this MADNESS!!!!!!
    Verizon xv6600

I make a lot of calls while driving and have around 50 people in my speed dial so using VC is a time saver for me. The only issue I had with it was when I had it set to announce who was calling, it would be crackly 50% of the time, so I turned that off and everything else works just fine.
    iPhone 3G (sorry Sprint, I have been to the mountain top!) <-- Sprint Mogul PPC 6800 (not enough memory) <-- PPC 6700 (loaner from sprint) <-- PPC 6600 (no EVDO) <-- G1000 (no SMS) Cardo Scala-500 BT
    I'm rockin Verizon Fios baby! 20Mbs is dumb fast! http://www.speedtest.net/result/295783856.png

Quote Originally Posted by myneid
    I cannot live without VC. i love it.
    One thing that it really screws with is skype.
    i use skype on a daily basis and in order to use it i have to turn off VC , soft reset and then start skype.
    annoying.
    What does it do to Skype? I've been toying around with skype some lately, but the call clarity hasn't been good, and the audio is very choppy. I'm wondering if its the speed of my connection, or if possibly I turn off VC it will help.....
    Just wondering how it screws with skype, because I can run skype fine with VC on, but like I said its not really usable.

Can't live without my PDA #1 gadget girl's Avatar
    The only issue I had with it was when I had it set to announce who was calling, it would be crackly 50% of the time, so I turned that off and everything else works just fine.
    I noticed that as well. I did the 5-day trial and enjoyed the VC immensely; didn't notice any problems with it affecting any other applications. Thinking about purchasing it now.
    PPC-6600 with Sprint Service

Today, I tried your idea. I went the whole day with WB advance uninstalled. Geesh, it sure is ugly without it and I missed the cascading menu, so tonight, I put it back in.
    That flat bar that's under the pretty theme is not what I want to see. Also, I didn't have that much of memory change with or without it.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryyyyy
    One piece of this thread I agree with is that I have recently removed Wisbar Advance and there is no doubt my 6600 runs faster. I forgot why I installed it in the first place.
    SteveM
    Sprint HTC EVO 4G

Sure looks nice, but to me sure seems slower response.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by supercluver
    What does it do to Skype? I've been toying around with skype some lately, but the call clarity hasn't been good, and the audio is very choppy. I'm wondering if its the speed of my connection, or if possibly I turn off VC it will help.....
    Just wondering how it screws with skype, because I can run skype fine with VC on, but like I said its not really usable.
    the new skype beta 2.0 will not even run for me if vc is enabled. its not just me too. i've done extensive testing including many hard resets and reinstalls and vc is the only thing that blocks it from running.
    the call clarity with skype on it is very good, but i found you need to be stable (not moving around) and in a good connection area.
    Tanguy de Courson

Fully Converged, painfully at times Kreigz's Avatar
    Whew ... I never thought this thread would take off like this ...

This started merely as a statement of personal experience with MS VC (no, that does not stand for Maria Shriver Viet Cong), but has progressed into critiques of various pieces of PPC software.

While many if not all statements made are true (WBA2 does make your device a little slower - latest builds speed things up, etc), the only common piece of software I could remove which fixed ALL of my software problems was Voice Command.

VC is the very best voice dialing app I have tried for my XV6600; however, while it is very nearly indispensible, it has been keeping a number of "very nearly indispensible" pieces of running. Disabling VC was the lesser of two, or rather, 10 evils.

BTW, here's a updated list of software which either wouldn't work correctly, or wouldn't even start when VC was loaded and enabled:

Calligrapher
    US Airways schedules
    Resco Photo Viewer
    LogMeIn
    Bejeweled 2
    EnCircle
    MS Reader (titles using Activation)
    PocketRSS
    WM3003SE (various components in Settings would disappear)
    Wisbar Advance 2 (various skinning problems)

That's all I can recall now ...

Now, if I could make VC work through my Jabra BT800 ... well, that might be another story ...
    The XV6700 is a lot like democracy: They're both less than perfect, but they're the best available ... as far as Verizon is concerned.

I still use VC - without voice dialing the usefulness of the XV6600 as a phone goes away.

I have to assume my MMS wont send even though I can put things in the MMS outbox, or that opera browser sucked because of VC, but since everything else works I leave it installed - I have no problem with WebISmail, IE, pocket outlook, Verichat, thunderhawk, beta player and TCMP, eReader, Mobipocket, Microsoft reader, spritebackup, Sirius CE, SmartTV, Win media player 10, Epocrates Drug Database, Avantgo, HTTPMail, Virtual Pool Mobile, Pocket Quicken, or anything else that I need...
    Larry Ganz
    http://www.jesusreigns.org
    John 3:16