Closed Thread

PDA2k EVDO? Maybe - Maybe not?

I have spent the last few hours searching and reading but I cant find exactly what I'm looking for. So if someone wants to kick me in the balls for not finding it via search I'll spread my legs for you - kick away.

Can the PDA2k EVDO be used on a sprint network and have access to the EVDO network?

From how I understand it: The PPC 6600 has the EVDO chipset, but Sprint has locked them from using the EVDO. Have they locked the phones or their service from allowing the 6600?

Basically: I am in need of a PDA for Sprint, but do not like the smaller 6700. I'm almost to the point of giving up on EVDO and sticking with the PPC 6600, but would gladly fork out the cash for a PDA2k EVDO if it would work... But my gut says it probably wont.

Thanks,
    Junkie

No it won't work. Sprint's system only allows ESNs of Sprint-branded devices to be activated on its network. If you were to buy a PDA2K EVDO and try to activate it, Sprint would reject the serial number since it's not one of theirs. It's not something you can sweet-talk a rep into, either.

It would be pointless though, even if you could, since the PDA2K EVDO would have Telecom New Zealand firmware on it, which isn't compatible with Sprint's EVDO setup.

The real barrier to getting EVDO on your PPC6600 (Sprint-branded) is that Sprint uses an authentication system and has not yet chosen to authenticate the 6600. Until that happens, there's no way you can get EVDO on ANY Harrier variant (PPC6600/XV6600/PDA2K EVDO).

Hope that helps clear it up.

Yes, it really does. Thanks for the help - and thanks for not kickin me in the balls!

Thanks again!
    Junkie