+ Reply to Thread

WiFi information needed

i have the audiovox xv6600 with camera:

im thinking about picking up an sd wifi card but before i do i want to make sure it will do what i want.

i would like to keep my pda in its usb cradle connect to my pc (tethered) and put pda in wifi mode and have it connect to my wireless router so i can use my pc on cable internet.

ex:

pc tethered to pda
    pda (wifi) connected to wireless router (isp = cox cable)

pc would be able to surf net through wifi pda connected to wireless router using cox cable

about the closest way i can explain it is that pda is currently tethered to pc by usb cable and i run wmodem on the pda and i can then surf the net with my computer using verizon isp

thanks

The way you want it done is not possible. I recall requesting you to NOT open a lot of threads asking the same question over and over as I have answered you once before stating that the way you want to access "high-speed internet is not possible". AS lets you go in one direction but it will let it "pass-thru" in the opposite direction.ie:from the PC to the PPC device and NO Wi-Fi the other way. I guess I will monitor this a little bit to see some posts and then decide if it need be closed again. Nothing against you m16, but it just makes no sense to open too many threads in reference to the same question.Thank you for understanding.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Euphorically Confused
    I am just confused as to why you are trying to do this. I did not see any of the other posts that may have contained more information, but why aren't you just connecting the PC to the router (either wired or wireless)? I apologize if I am missing something, but a little more information is needed I think.
    Custom Apache AKU 3.5 roms and rom kitchens available
    ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO AN OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND
    If you have found me helpful or would like to support the developers of roms and apps that I use, please Donate

My Bluetooth is built in!
    It sounds like an attempt to avoid buying a wireless card for the PC... which I dont understand. A USB or PCI wireless card will be much cheaper than a SD card.

Is there some other element to this? Is it a work PC that you are not allowed to add hardware to? Is there a reason you dont just tether and use the verizon data connection?
    PPC-6700, Treo 700wx, Samsung IP-i830w, Motorola i580, LG Fusic. Mix well, add accessories, consume.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    As they've all said, you can'd do this the way you want. Why not just buy an inexpensive WiFi card for the PC, which are pretty cheap.
    Mike - Been Converged?

well i think yall are understanding what i trying to do (which is a good thing )

yep i basically am trying to avoid the wifi card for pc but because from what i am able to get at best buy, circuitcity and compusa are about $50.00 for a wifi card for pc pci slot not pcmcia i think thats how you spell it.

i figure hey 2 birds 1 stone might as well get the wifi card for the pda as its mobile and if it worked like i was trying to explain it would be sweet but from what the Convergent was saying it dont sound possible which is a shame

but if i cant do it i cant do it.
    thnx for replying

If one has a cable connection to the internet and a wireless router, why not surf on the internet using the much faster cable modem? then, if you had a SD wifi card, you could surf on wifi from that by connecting to the wifi router.
    Am I missing something here? Why does anyone want to surf from a wireless connection or tether to a pda when a cable modem is available? Most of the cable modems I've had even have a USB port on them so that if you don't have an ethernet port on the computer you can still connect directly to the pc.

Just wondering.
    Peace ~ Trident
    Using my own custom WM6.5 ROMGO GATORS! NCAA National Champs x3~ Football & Basketball(x2)!

Quote Originally Posted by Trident
    If one has a cable connection to the internet and a wireless router, why not surf on the internet using the much faster cable modem? then, if you had a SD wifi card, you could surf on wifi from that by connecting to the wifi router.
    Am I missing something here? Why does anyone want to surf from a wireless connection or tether to a pda when a cable modem is available? Most of the cable modems I've had even have a USB port on them so that if you don't have an ethernet port on the computer you can still connect directly to the pc.

Just wondering.
    because the router isnt mine and its not in the same room although i do have permission to use the router i cant very well move it to where my computer is