+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Restoring contacts from Activesync (.stg)

I backed up my 6600 to my PC (using ActiveSync), and accidentally overwrote deleted all my contacts, photos etc.
    I'm now trying to get my contacts restored. BUT, each time I try and restore via ActiveSync the Contacts Database is locked (as is a few other applications). I've stopped all running programs but to no avail.

How do you unlock the Contacts Database?

*or*

Can you use STGViewer and or dbExplorer??

Can anyone help since I would love to get my Contacts back!

Thanks,

You still have them on the PDA? (or the computer?)

If so, try this registry hack:

All ActiveSync Manager registry values are under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners\DeviceID\Services\Synchronization subkey on the desktop computer.

Reset your partnership, change 0 to 1.

Then try to sync and it should give you a dialog, after thinking about 5-10 minutes.

Read it carefully, and choose the option of loading contracts from pda to pc or pc to pda as appropriate. This is how I reset my contacts when I do a hard reset, but it the opposite direction....

I hope this helps. I assume it is locked because something is corrupted and you have rebooted etc etc..
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

The only location I have them is in the .STG file Backup file that Activesync creates. Will the above help with that at all?

I also tried HPC Vault Delux, highlighted the Contacts database (Under WinCE databases) and hit "Restore to HPC" but a box comes up and closes quickly and does nothing. Very little error reporting in this software.

Sorry, I cannot help as I am not familiar with the .stg file. Assume you have searched this forum and Google. Good luck and please post a solution if you find it.
    Sprint: G1000, HTC-6600, 6800, now TP2
    Windroid: Energy.ROM.28244.Sense2.5/Android 2.1
    Overclocked to 729Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James
    The only location I have them is in the .STG file Backup file that Activesync creates. Will the above help with that at all?

I also tried HPC Vault Delux, highlighted the Contacts database (Under WinCE databases) and hit "Restore to HPC" but a box comes up and closes quickly and does nothing. Very little error reporting in this software.
    Were you pairing as a guest when you backed up your ppc??? If so, you may be out of luck. I originally paired as guest, always backed up with activesync, and then after a crash and hard reset I could NOT get my contacts to come back. It appears to be a limitation of activesync. But I am by no means an authority on this subject so hopefully I am wrong.
    I did find a java program that supposedly could take the stg file and extract the contacts to an excel csv file, and then you would have to enter them by hand, but better than nothing. Check this out for more info on the subject. http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?p=42326

Now my recommendations to you. If you do sync as guest, STOP and sync the other way. I just sync my contacts to Outlook, nothing else is sync'ed. I don't use Outlook for ANYTHING else, either. I prefer Eudora for mail, as that is what we use at work and I'm used to it. This way, after a hard reset you CAN for sure sync back the contacts to your ppc. I know, I've done it several times.
    My other recommendation is use Sprite Backup. Backup to an SD card and your desktop frequently. I do to my SD card daily. When you restore from the SD card you can restore all, just contacts, just tasks, whatever you want and it is a great program. Definitely worth its cost.
    Anyway, best of luck with getting your contacts back. Believe me, I know the frustration....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James
    Can you use STGViewer and or dbExplorer??
    STGViewer is a neat program, but it can only extract files from a stg file, not databases..... this I know for sure.

Don't know about dbExplorer, never used it before....