+ Reply to Thread

Smile TomTom - State to State Driving

XV6600 Friends,

I just recently been messing around with TomTom 5.0 and I didn't see anything in the documentation about traveling state to state. So far I've only been able to travel within the state and switch over to the next map. Is there something that I am missing?

Please advise.

Tvos

there are multiple map options. you need to load a section of maps to travel state to state. i have 3 maps loaded on my sd card. northeast us, southeast and major roads. each region is about 5 states.

Loading Maps

Thought you could only load one map at a time? Am I missing something?

Can you post the steps please..

Thank You,

Tvos

http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal...iew/TTN-06.jpg

http://www.pocketnow.com/html/portal...ew/TTN-06a.jpg

are some examples of maps. you can load more than one map on to the sd card at a time. you can only use one at a time though with tomtom. like i stated i keep 3 loaded on my sd card. you have to select which one to use with the tomtom software. if you leave the area of the loaded map you can then switch to a new map. (provided you loaded the new map on the sd card.) i recommend reading up on gps at gpspassion.com and pocketgps.co.uk. while this is a great site for our phones those site will provide more info specific to gps.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    This is something I don't like about TomTom. I have been using Mapopolis, and if you have enough memory, you can load any trip with all its maps. They also have statewide highway maps if you don't need detailed maps of the entire trip. You pick the highways for the states you will be in, and the counties and/or cities for the locations you will be needing details for. Works very well once you get it all loaded up.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I use TomTom 5 all the time between states, as stated above you just have to load the REGIONAL mapsets instead of individual states, when you do so it has no problem transitioning between states within the mapset. It's pretty robust, I have the entire Northeast loaded as well and it covers 100% of my driving, unless you drive great distances constantly there's no reason TomTom wouldn't work perfectly for you, and if you drove great distances you'd just need to add more regions and maybe make a map switch once during your journey.
    Tom

Ah, OK... there were other things that I didn't like on TomTom as well, but its been a while since I tried it. It seems to be a solid program... just didn't satisfy me as well as Mapopolis.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Admittedly I haven't tried Mapopolis, I use TomTom5 and it serves me quite well, I LOVE the 3d driving view, it's the only way to GPS IMHO.
    Tom

Tom, I think thats why both products have buyers. I absolutely hated the 3D driving view... give me a 2D map view over that any day. I'm glad you are happy with the TomTom.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Talking

Crash,

I dumped all the states (even Hawai) on my 1gb sd card w/no problems. I didn't go thru the TomTom program. Do I need too in order to link to the other states or is that done within the tomtom program installed on the ppc?

Convergent,

The first gps program I used was Mapopolis and it was good! Although, I found some glitches in the software - in Michigan we've our famous "Michigan U-Turn" and it didn't recognize it, also there were preference issue's like the screen being taken up by the animated video, or landscape. When I decided to check out TomTom I was sold on the product. In Mapopolis I really didn't care for the 3d but in TomTom its layed out just right!

Tvos

if you don't see a prompt to select which map to use when starting tomtom, you may need to load the map through the software. you can load a many maps on the sd card then tomtom will ask which map to use. if you travel to a new area you can change the map from within the software. also tomtom intoduced a major roads map for cross country travel. it contains the major highways without local details. i've used the northeast, southeast and major roads on trips to florida. there are some other software options like copilot which i read allows custom map cutting and ocn5 allows you to load the whole country on a sd card (requires 1 gb or more). i've thought of switching to one of those but have kept using tomtom because i also prefer the 3d map

Crash,

I have the option to switch between maps using TomTom software on the ppc. I just can't figure out how to do cross country travel from state to state. It sounds like when you cross a state you have to switch and load the next map.

Please advise and thank you for your help!

Tvos

to do cross country you will probably need 3 maps...the area where you are starting. the destination area and the major roads map for traveling between the 2.

Just as an FYI - iGuidance also seamlessly moves from map to map. My maps of Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Kansas take about 400MB on my storage card, and I can plan a tirp from Kansas to San Diego in about 30 seconds. - sheureka
    Do good. Be kind. Have fun.

Crash,

I believe you are right about the maps having to go through the install program of TomTom. I've tried with the maps loaded on the SD card, executing TomTom to create a start/end point between country and no luck. I could also be missing a step along the way too.

Anyways, reason why I went with TomTom was that I tested Iguidance and Mapopolis and found the programs not adequate for my needs. TomTom has a better and smoother interface and a easy flexability. Again, its all in the users preference.

Tvos